New to this

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
Ok, so I've been thinking about becoming an EMT for a while. I finally decided to enroll at my local community college for the EMT-B classes. I have absolutely no experience in this field. I'm just worried that I should at least know something about anatomy before I even start. I just don't wanna be the weakest link or be laughed at because I don't know anything yet. Any advice?

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
Don't be afraid to be the weakest link because it means you can learn from everyone else -- you'll have more resources than any of your classmates!

Anatomy isn't the biggest part of being an EMT. In my opinion, it's far more important to be caring, compassionate and confident. Those are things they can't teach you. The rest is all book learnin'.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Umm...It's a medical profession, anatomy & physiology tend to be somewhat important. Do you need it for EMT-B? No, but it can't hurt and will make learning disease processes much easier.

OP
OP
Niccigsu

Niccigsu

Forum Crew Member
I plan to eventually become a paramedic, so I know that anatomy is a deifinite thing I will need to learn. I've been using the emtb.com website to help familarize myself with the anatomy. With using this website though, I've realized how much I dont know and it worries me. I know I will learn what I need to in the classes, I just want to make sure I am going to be the best at what I do. Especially when someone's life depends on it.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
Umm...It's a medical profession, anatomy & physiology tend to be somewhat important. Do you need it for EMT-B? No, but it can't hurt and will make learning disease processes much easier.

Agreed. They are important. My point was that the technical side of things are all learned skills. The skills you can't learn as easily are the personality traits and mindset that make you successful in the EMS field.

The EMT-B class is meant to teach the basics at an entry level. Don't sweat prepping too much beforehand. Just keep your mind open and absorb as much as you can.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Anatomy isn't the biggest part of being an EMT. In my opinion, it's far more important to be caring, compassionate and confident. Those are things they can't teach you. The rest is all book learnin'.

Just show up to class on time with your supplies/equipment and be properly dressed. They don't expect a whole lot more from you.

Sad but true.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Most programs will teach you A&P as you go. That being said, I wish I would have taken it prior to starting class.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Definitely take A&P. You may only need the basics of it for EMT-B, but it will make it much easier. For paramedic, it is a MUST! Some micro, chem, and pharm would also be nice before you start your P. Compassion will only get you so far... And probably not even far enough for NR...

Sasha

Forum Chief
Anatomy isn't the biggest part of being an EMT. In my opinion, it's far more important to be caring, compassionate and confident.

Yeah it's not like you're working on the human body or anything! ;)

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Agreed. . The skills you can't learn as easily are the personality traits and mindset that make you successful in the EMS field.

If by "personality traits and mindset that make you successful in the EMS field" you mean "don't be an *** hat" then I would have to agree with you.

It doesn't take much more than that.

EMSpassion94

Forum Crew Member
Ok, so I've been thinking about becoming an EMT for a while. I finally decided to enroll at my local community college for the EMT-B classes. I have absolutely no experience in this field. I'm just worried that I should at least know something about anatomy before I even start. I just don't wanna be the weakest link or be laughed at because I don't know anything yet. Any advice?

I started my EMT-B class with NO medical/health experience WHATSOEVER. Just show up with lots of paper, a pen, and an open mind, and you'll be fine. Trust me.

PS: Oh, and study. That tends to help alot. ;)

StickySideDown

Forum Crew Member
I started my EMT-B class with NO medical/health experience WHATSOEVER. Just show up with lots of paper, a pen, and an open mind, and you'll be fine. Trust me.

PS: Oh, and study. That tends to help alot. ;)

+1

Obviously you will get your book before you start the course? Just browse through it a little bit. Most likely you will get a course syllabus, with what will be going on each day of the course.

So before you take your XYZ lecture, just browse through the chapter that covers XYZ, and you'll be ok, this way the material being presented to you won't be 100% new to you.

crazycajun

Forum Captain
If by "personality traits and mindset that make you successful in the EMS field" you mean "don't be an *** hat" then I would have to agree with you.

I really don't understand why you seem to constantly degrade the EMS system but continue to post on a site that was designed for EMS personnel. It seems the mindset you currently have is the main downfall with EMS and the public view today. We struggle everyday to make EMS a true profession in the healthcare field and comments such as yours push us back even further. It takes a great amount more than simply "Not being an *** Hat" to be successful in EMS today and until people like yourself understand that EMS will continue to have one of the highest turn over ratio's, continue to be degraded by the healthcare industry and continue to be under paid.

Lifeguards For Life

Forum Deputy Chief
Simply put ems is not a profession, and probably will nit become one in the foreseeable future.

I hate to say it but it is true. There's really not a whole lot to it. I would type more, but am in class on my phone, which is the reason most of my posts are so short.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
Yeah it's not like you're working on the human body or anything! ;)

Knowing basic A&P is one thing and is certainly necessary. But the question was about prepping for the class and what to focus on before taking it. My point was that the required A&P knowledge (and all the other technical aspects of EMS) will be taught from a book by an instructor. Most everyone can learn such material when presented in such a way. However, if you don't possess the three unteachable things I believe are most important to being a good EMT: care, compassion and confidence, then developing EMT skills and progressing through to becoming a paramedic will be more difficult than it would otherwise be.

Simply put ems is not a profession, and probably will nit become one in the foreseeable future.

Holy cow... seriously? I don't know what your exposure has been, but it sounds like you've been burned pretty bad by whatever system you've been working in. I, for one, have had some wonderful, fulfilling years in the profession.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member

Nope, that's not what I meant. I'm not sure you and I are gonna share a common perspective on this one.

Being successful and being a good EMT take MUCH more than simply not being an "*** hat."

Sasha

Forum Chief
Knowing basic A&P is one thing and is certainly necessary. But the question was about prepping for the class and what to focus on before taking it. My point was that the required A&P knowledge (and all the other technical aspects of EMS) will be taught from a book by an instructor. Most everyone can learn such material when presented in such a way. However, if you don't possess the three unteachable things I believe are most important to being a good EMT: care, compassion and confidence, then developing EMT skills and progressing through to becoming a paramedic will be more difficult than it would otherwise be.

Holy cow... seriously? I don't know what your exposure has been, but it sounds like you've been burned pretty bad by whatever system you've been working in. I, for one, have had some wonderful, fulfilling years in the profession.

I disagree. A cold paramedic can still perform the job. Sometimes better without the emotions interfering.

Elk Oil

Forum Crew Member
I disagree. A cold paramedic can still perform the job. Sometimes better without the emotions interfering.

Don't misunderstand the difference between keeping a healthy, non-emotional distance and not caring. Big difference. If you notice, I never said good EMTs are emotional. In fact, I've noticed the bad ones are too emotional.

These are subtle differences and I know they're not always readily understood.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I understand the difference that doesnt change the fact a coldhearted paramedic is capable.