New to the site and interest in E.M.T. …

Yep1987

Forum Ride Along
<_< Hey how does it go? Name is Doug live up in the New England Area and was looking into EMT training. Will look around the board to find more information and has already provided some good answers already. Some quick questions if anyone can give me some feedback; I am nearing the end of school majoring in law enforcement. Was looking to possibly take an EMT-B class this fall seeing how I can work it with the classes. Anyone a police officer or involved in law enforcement on this board, and have EMT Certification? Do you think it is a use full skill to have with law enforcement?

Some other questions any feedback much appreciated. Questions are about dealing with training for EMS. Was looking into the local community college they offer EMT-B class down the road, and another one by American Medical Response is being done as well in the fall. Is it better to go to an institution to receive training before any affiliation with an ambulance company? The other option I was looking at was there are a couple local ambulance services around the area; was looking at maybe helping out and getting involved with one of them as a start instead of going straight to EMT training. Thanks.

johnnyreb132

Forum Crew Member
Try getting with a vollie service a month or two before you decide on taking an EMT course, hopefully that way the county will reimburse you so you don't have to pay out of pocket. Down here, its a dual vollie and career service so the county covers all education as long as it benefits the squad or department.

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie
I'm from the new england area as well, I'm a Connecticut state certified EMT-B. I know of a town right next to the town I vollie in (where we are called in for mutual aid a good number of times a month) where all the LEOs are trained in basic first aid/CPR, and carry a primative jump kit in their vehicles (AED, basic first aid, I think O2) and first respond to all the calls in the town. It helps out the Ambulance to have trained first responders as well as LEOs respond to all their calls.

But, if your town does not require you to do that, then I'm still sure being an EMT-B will benefit you. But you need to make sure you are aware of local protocols and laws about responding while you aren't with an ambulance, because many states have different laws on lay medical care, and though you are EMT-B certified, you are still considered a bystander in the eyes of the law.

But being a LEO, I'm sure you will be required to know all of the area laws and regulations ;)

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I was a police officer for about a decade. In a small community, officers are sometimes first responders, either officially or unofficially, and encouraged to render first aid prior to the arrival of EMS. That's not extremely common though. It's pretty rare where EMT certification would have any bearing on you getting hired or promoted as a police officer.

At best, becoming an EMT wil make you feel a *little bit* less useless for those few minutes you are standing around waiting for an ambulance. At worst, it will just make you overconfident and end up putting you in a situation to do more harm than good. Don't let anyone BS you about the value of EMT school. It's just first aid, not some magical healing art. And if you do not use that knowledge regularly, it will stagnate and fade, making you worse than useless. It'll make you dangerous.

If you are for some bizarre reason considering the possibility of becoming an EMT as a JOB, and not a hobby, then it can help to spend some time riding with an EMS agency to see what the job is really about. That may assist you in deciding if it is really for you. But if you are just thinking this would be a cool merit badge to have, with no real interest in a medical career, I wouldn't waste my time or money. There are a lot more educational opportunities for a peace officer that would be a lot more relevant and useful to you.

Good luck!

OP
OP
Y

Yep1987

Forum Ride Along
Thanks for the responses so far. I wouldn’t look into EMS as a job but like mention more as a hobby and skill. Could see how it can be a liability for a law enforcement agency. Still though would be a good thing to do just as volunteer around the community. Going to have to check out the wilderness EMT forum on here; was looking into conservation policing. Thanks though for the advice.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thanks for the responses so far. I wouldn’t look into EMS as a job but like mention more as a hobby and skill. Could see how it can be a liability for a law enforcement agency. Still though would be a good thing to do just as volunteer around the community. Going to have to check out the wilderness EMT forum on here; was looking into conservation policing. Thanks though for the advice.

Yeah, I play cop as a hobby. Nothing like pissing off professional law enforcemet officers when I will do it for free. Heck, who needs all that education, benefits, insurance, retirement? Especially, when I can volunteer and do it for free! Think of all the money I can save the city if I could get a bunch of us to play and have fun! As well, I can place lights on my car and wear a badge.... I look really cool then!

Of course I don't plan on going onward for a professional level, I just to want to have fun and look cool. Hey.. it's just a hobby and keeps up my shooting skills.. ( I get to use the gun range for free!). Who needs professionals, when you have guys like me that want to do this for fun and to have something to do?

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
Y

Yep1987

Forum Ride Along
Didn't mean for that to come out like that. It is certainly a profesional rescue and lifesaver job. Great full for people out there who put the time and hard work to save another life. Just from where it would help me it seems wouldn't be anything but something in the spare time. Though I think volunteering and helping out in which ever way I can not pursuing any technical speciality would be great for myself but great for the community an the ambulance association.

Last edited by a moderator:

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie

I completely agree with Rid. One of the reasons, IMO, that there is a lack of hard work in the EMS field is because people come out and work a job they have no passion for. Now, I'm not a whacker, and I have many other things besided EMS, but being an EMT is what I love. And if you do not have the passion and drive to do it, but just view it as something to waste your spare time on, don't even bother. We really don't need any more people out here that really don't want to do it, except for the fact it looks good on their resume.

If this you view an EMT cert as something that might look good going towards your LEO job, just take a basic first aid course. Spare yourself the trouble.

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
"If you're good at something, never do it for free." - Heath ledger's Joker

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
http://neemsi/

go there for Basic school, if you are in the area.