New to EMS...concerned about my company's policies-help!?

jettin89

Forum Ride Along
Hi there,

I'm a newly licensed and hired EMT! I've been so pumped to start working and get my hands dirty. However, Im feeling a little (lot) disheartened after my first day of orientation at a private EMS company. I have many years of work experience and have never encountered policies like this. The first concerning matter is the accident policy...At this company, if the driver causes any damage to the vehicle by accidwnt, they are required to pay the full price of the repair, regardless of if it's your first ever accidwnt or fifth. I understand the need for personal accountability, but isnt the whole reason for insurance? I have had one ticket and no accidents in my 10 years of driving. It scares me to know that if I tap the ambulance because of obe mistake, i will be required to pay 2K out of pocket on a $10.20 an hour salary. Another concerning matter to me is the uniform....you gave to pay up front for one uniform set....if you work there for one year or more and return it in good condition, you get 80%back...its 52 bucks for the shirt and 60 for the pants....you have to pay 51 out of pocket for outerwear. Is thiS normal? Im not trying to complain....Im just so new to EMS...thanks!

Ewok Jerky

PA-C
I wouldn't freak much about the uniform, although that is pretty crappy.

The vehicle damage thing though, that is an absolute deal breaker. Run for the hills.

OP
OP
jettin89

jettin89

Forum Ride Along
I wouldn't freak much about the uniform, although that is pretty crappy.

The vehicle damage thing though, that is an absolute deal breaker. Run for the hills.

Thanks for your replay. Haha, I understand the uniform thing isnt a BIG deal - it was more of just the icing on the cake at ghe end of the day after hearing that 4 people owe the company $5,000. My car isn't worth that much!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Not normal at all. Don't work for a company with those kind of policies, EMS or otherwise. If they treat their new employees that poorly before they ever work a shift, imagine how well they'll stand up for you or support you in something that's actually important. Keep looking for better employment.

Kevinf

Forum Captain
Get out while you can, these are red alerts! Reasonable policies? Employee is liable for the deductible of the insurance (or repair if it's a non-accident), up to about $500 if they are AT FAULT. The cost of uniforms should be removed over the course of the first month's checks, not immediately out of pocket. This is an employer with an antagonistic view of their employees. It wouldn't surprise me to hear that they have shady billing practices, which you probably won't recognize if you are new to the EMS world.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Bail out of that pit. Those employers are not honest. Source- eight years in EMS

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
If you're in California..

There's tons of better crappy companies out there. I've never heard of policies like that. I would've quit after finding out about those policies.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief
Leave. Now. That's entirely unacceptable. If they aren't insuring you to drive their ambulances, DONT DRIVE THEIR AMBULANCES!
Uniforms is whatever, still shady but not a deal breaker. But you should not get behind the wheel of their vehicles if they aren't insuring you.
What company is this? I don't know why I'm always surprised to know there's always a worse company out there.

ITBITB13

Forum Lieutenant
Leave. Now. That's entirely unacceptable. If they aren't insuring you to drive their ambulances, DONT DRIVE THEIR AMBULANCES!
Uniforms is whatever, still shady but not a deal breaker. But you should not get behind the wheel of their vehicles if they aren't insuring you.
What company is this? I don't know why I'm always surprised to know there's always a worse company out there.

I second this. What company is it?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I worked at a place with a similar uniform policy and could not help think that it was a bad sign. I stayed on anyway, and then four months later it turned out that it was in fact a really rather horrible company.

That vehicle damage policy is probably indicative of a true hell hole.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
Employee is liable for the deductible of the insurance (or repair if it's a non-accident), up to about $500 if they are AT FAULT. The cost of uniforms should be removed over the course of the first month's checks, not immediately out of pocket.

Even these policies suck.

First set of uniforms is provided.
Either the company replaces as needed or they provide a uniform allowance leaving it to the employee.

Accidents happen.
It's the cost of doing business.
Set your limitations based on insurance requirements and consider that a calculated risk. If an employee has multiple issues, terminate them.

Last edited:
OP
OP
jettin89

jettin89

Forum Ride Along
I talked with a manager today to try to discuss the accident policy further. She was very polite and stated that only if it is your fault and was avoidable will you be responsible. And only if you seem like you dont care. Itwas all vague. I asked about their insurance and she said that their insurance will not cover something that was an employee's fault...which is strange because this company is in Michigan, a no fault state.

gotbeerz001

Forum Deputy Chief
I talked with a manager today to try to discuss the accident policy further. She was very polite and stated that only if it is your fault and was avoidable will you be responsible. And only if you seem like you dont care. Itwas all vague. I asked about their insurance and she said that their insurance will not cover something that was an employee's fault...which is strange because this company is in Michigan, a no fault state.
To politely say "we will screw you" is still not polite.

Walk away.

It should not affect you poorly as your next employer likely knows that this was a toxic environment.

SDSF43

Forum Ride Along
They should have just told you that if you're involved in an accident while driving a company vehicle, break out the Astroglide because you're about to get screwed! Judging the situation with the information you provided, their policy seems "sketchy". Also, Uniform policies vary from service to service, but it is common for employers with high turnover rates to make new employees pay the majority of costs for their own uniforms.

Chewy20

Forum Deputy Chief
Like everyone else said, RUN. The uniform policy is BS, and the accident policy should be illegal for a company.

You will be much better off working a non-ems job until you find one with a decent company. These types of companies pray on new EMTs desperate for a job.

LACoGurneyjockey

Forum Asst. Chief

Covering something that was an employees fault is what insurance is for. I was in the back of an ambulance that was t boned and overturned by one of those short-bus school buses. The unit was totaled and scrapped for parts. My partner was at fault, he misjudged the speed of the bus and his ability to make an unprotected left turn.
Wanna guess how much my partner paid? $0. At a less than reputable IFT company.
There's better companies out there for you, don't put up with their ****. A managers job is to politely explain the policy, regardless of how much you're gonna be needing that astroglide...

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
That's awful.

So if you get in an accident that's not your fault, you still pay? And everyone makes mistakes. IF you make EMS a career I promise you that you will hit/bump/scrape something EVENTUALLY. Or "new" damage will be noticed, that you didn't cause, and they will force you to pay for it. Run. It's a trap.

I'm not sure about uniforms.I was provided with 3 pairs of EMS pants, 3 button up class b shirts ( with all patches already sewn on) , engraved name plate/tag, ID badge, 5 duty T-shirts, a duty pullover ( with name and title embroidered),a heaver reflective coat for winter, and extrication pants. These were all free upon hire. I also get a 300 dollar stipend every year to get new uniforms, boots, coats- pretty much whatever I want to spend it on. A lot of people use it to buy raptors or fancy stethoscopes. Anything other then that I would have to buy- but it's never been needed.

When I had my first EMS job it was IFT and I was given ONE company polo shirt that used to be another employees that had quit. It was also about two sizes to big. I had to buy/provide everything else.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
I worked for a company that if you did something out and out STUPID you had to pay for the deductible; crew that left their radio on the back bumper of the ambulance didn't have to pay for it. got written up, but didn't have to pay for it. Another crew that the driver hit a pole in a gas station lot, backed up and hit it again. You could see where the damage was from each hit. company split deductible in half and charged the driver for half (first time was an accident, 2nd time was stupid).

That makes sense; pay for out of pocket expenses and only for truly stupid things.

But for what you are describing: RUN