New to EMS...concerned about my company's policies-help!?

chriscemt

Forum Lieutenant
I received two full sets of uniforms and then asked for two more sets when I was working more than 4 days/week regularly. (I work more like 6 days a week, but, whatever)

I still buy my own pants since 5.11s are better than those supplied by my company.

And I'll second what others have said about the auto-insurance issue. Run.

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
Hi there,

I'm a newly licensed and hired EMT! I've been so pumped to start working and get my hands dirty. However, Im feeling a little (lot) disheartened after my first day of orientation at a private EMS company. I have many years of work experience and have never encountered policies like this. The first concerning matter is the accident policy...At this company, if the driver causes any damage to the vehicle by accidwnt, they are required to pay the full price of the repair, regardless of if it's your first ever accidwnt or fifth. I understand the need for personal accountability, but isnt the whole reason for insurance? I have had one ticket and no accidents in my 10 years of driving. It scares me to know that if I tap the ambulance because of obe mistake, i will be required to pay 2K out of pocket on a $10.20 an hour salary. Another concerning matter to me is the uniform....you gave to pay up front for one uniform set....if you work there for one year or more and return it in good condition, you get 80%back...its 52 bucks for the shirt and 60 for the pants....you have to pay 51 out of pocket for outerwear. Is thiS normal? Im not trying to complain....Im just so new to EMS...thanks!

I dont have EMS job experience yet, however, in my life I have learned to trust your instincts. In class we learned that if something doesnt feel right, dont go in. Same could be applied here.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
I almost want to recommend that you stay on there just so you can continue documenting the experience for others. You know, as a cautionary tale.

(But seriously: run!)