New stethoscope...questions?

IcantThinkofAname

Forum Crew Member
I just got a Sprague Adscope 641. I've never used a stethoscope before so I tried it out and it really hurt my ears. The plastic eartips were painful! Also, I found that unless I held it absolutely 100% still, I got lots of little sounds from the stethoscope moving a little bit against the skin, etc.

Are both of these things normal and I just have to get used to them? Or do I have a bad stethoscope?

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
i hate to rain on your parade, but you bought a turd. all ive ever been able to hear from one of those is the tubes rubbing or banging together.

you dont need to go out and buy a littmann master cardiology, but buying a halfway decent scope(in the $30 range) will serve you well.

oh, nad if you want specific reccomendations, there alredy a few threads about which scope to buy. search for em.

OP
OP
I

IcantThinkofAname

Forum Crew Member
Well I should have read the stethoscope thread first. I am going to return it and I just bought a Littman II Select from allheart.com.

OP
OP
I

IcantThinkofAname

Forum Crew Member
The only reason I bought it was because our teacher gave us a flyer with a special deal at a local EMT/Fire/Police equipment store and the deal included the Sprague. But yeah, after reading about how awful the Spragues are, forget it!

OP
OP
I

IcantThinkofAname

Forum Crew Member
LOL, I really should google before I reply. I just called 3M and they said all of their Littmann scopes are latex free. Thank goodness!

mikie

Forum Lurker
i hate to rain on your parade, but you bought a turd.

I have to agree. Some students in my class just bought some and their soo excited to use them and I kinda felt bad cause they could've spent a few extra to get a better one. Also, I just think the two tubes looks weird/ugly.

Pet peeve: i hate how all the docs on scrubs have spragues. (I don't watch it frequently, but that's what I've noticed)

Jeremy89

Forum Captain
...Pet peeve: i hate how all the docs on scrubs have spragues. (I don't watch it frequently, but that's what I've noticed)

And I thought I was the only person who noticed that! Same thing with ER and other medical dramas.

EMT-P633

Forum Crew Member
Pet peeve: i hate how all the docs on scrubs have spragues. (I don't watch it frequently, but that's what I've noticed)

yeah i have noticed the same thing. Im thinking because they are cheap to buy, and since they dont have to actually use them. that is why.

mikie

Forum Lurker
And I thought I was the only person who noticed that! Same thing with ER and other medical dramas.

Not on House, MD or Grey's Anatomy (Dr. Burke used a Lit. Cardio and sometimes the Lit. powered cardio.....i watch too much TV)

Ugh, it really does bother me! lol.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Oh, dear. Why did it take me so darn long to find this forum?
I've been kvetching about TV doc's using bad scopes for a couple of years now.:rolleyes:
I feel as if I've found my long lost familyB)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Just listen to loud music and the stray sounds go away.

WEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee........................................

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
ive given up on trying to make sense of medical errors on television. all i ever accomplished by complaining about that crap was an ulcer. but hey, i dont go to television looking for reality....

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Actually, I have seen and used some really good Sprague. Most of the time, it is NOT the stethoscope but the user... again, it is NOT so much what you place in your ears; but what is between your ears that really counts.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Actually... I've used a few spragues that weren't bad... but most of them have high vacuum potential.

The good ones have multiple clamps and fit together well... while the bad ones don't. You will also need to counter-bend the spring to make it fit right.

EDIT - I didn't refresh before I posted - Rid and I posted the same thing. This is scary.

Last edited by a moderator:

marineman

Forum Asst. Chief
EDIT - I didn't refresh before I posted - Rid and I posted the same thing. This is scary.

Rid scares me in general, even though he posted his picture I still imagine Dr. Cox every time he posts anything. When I'm reading it I even hear the same voice with weird inflictions in my head that Dr. Cox uses.

I do usually use a sprague though, I don't have a reason it's just the first scope I had and I got used to it.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Dr. Cox wears a Sprague. Coincidence? I think not!