New stethoscope...questions?

Buzz

Forum Captain
I use a sprague scope as well, but whoever said they could only hear the tubes rubbing together was right on. I got a little creative with some tape and the problem was pretty much gone. While on a bumpy road, just forget about it. I've had to grab the cheapo single tube style stethoscopes we have with the BP cuffs... On scene, I love my current stethoscope, but I'd still rather use a Littmann for comfort issues though. I've got some of the soft ear tips for my current steth but I begin having serious problems hearing when I use them.

41 Duck

Forum Lieutenant
Scopes

While I agree that what's between the earpieces makes the difference, I'm something of a tool snob and have little patience for tools that're below my standards. While no, a Littman Master Cardio isn't --and shouldn't be-- required for an EMT, something that works for the user IS.

Problem is, often, when we're buying our first stethoscopes, we don't know what works for us and what doesn't. People do this with pistols, cell phones, motorcycles, iPod earphones, and pens, too --any item that's highly subjective to the individual user.

My advice is always: hold off until you get a chance to try different ones and see what you like about various models. Then get what you can reasonably afford based upon your own experience and you'll be much happier --realizing that as your experience grows, your preferences may change...

And if you've got an elcheapo sprague... hey, you're only out fifteen bucks or so if you decide to replace it, but you may as well work with it a while now that it's in your hands...

Later!

--Coop

imurphy

Forum Captain