New-New ACLS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I just finished an 8-hour update with all of our ACLS Instructors on the new ACLS format.

At first I was a little nervous because our medical director was taking the update and ........ Who am I to educate an MD.

Anyway we made it through the day and we all learned something. I think the new lesson maps are going to make learning ACLS better for all of the participants.

Have any of you had the new-new class yet? The one that is based on the 2005 ECC Guidelines (not just a bridge class)?

We are teaching our first new-new (not bridge) class on November 4th and 5th.

VinBin

Forum Captain
Yea, I was the in the first group who took the new one...

What did you think of the new stuff? I liked many of the changes, they seem to make more sense, and get back to the basics...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I have not yet taught the " formal" class with the new standards. I am awaiting to get the new instructor kit.. I have just received all the new tests and pre-tests. Which in my opinion appears to be pretty simplistic.

After seeing the new ACLS books, I was shocked to see them getting smaller and smaller and less material in them.

I do hope that some organization determines to take the lead of ensuring ACLS standards and education is carried out for those in emergency field. I feel AHA is dropping the ball and diluting to the point of there is no credibility of those that have sucessfully completed it .

R/r 911

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I have not yet taught the " formal" class with the new standards. I am awaiting to get the new instructor kit.. I have just received all the new tests and pre-tests. Which in my opinion appears to be pretty simplistic.

After seeing the new ACLS books, I was shocked to see them getting smaller and smaller and less material in them.

I do hope that some organization determines to take the lead of ensuring ACLS standards and education is carried out for those in emergency field. I feel AHA is dropping the ball and diluting to the point of there is no credibility of those that have sucessfully completed it .

R/r 911

The instructor kit isn't bad. It is using the "Lesson Maps" like in BLS. The thing I do like is the way the classes are more streamlined to get the important practice time in.

Plus now we have a better leg to stand on when someone doesn't cut it. Now the student MUST know the Algorithms before coming to the class.

The student actually covers 18 cases prior to reaching the MegaCode testing station. I am curious to see how it plays out next weekend when we teach the new-new way. We have been teaching the bridge material since June 1st.

Griffin

Forum Ride Along
I was kinda concerned about the way all the codes were handed. 6min codes with another 6 min to evaluate? Ok, that's fine, but it doesn't seem to allow the instructors to get very indepth with the students and demonstrate the depth of the protocols.

And assigning 6 people with 6 difference job tasks is rather odd. I mean, I understand the concept, but teaching prehospital providers with that method is a sure way to loose attention.

I dunno, we'll see in the next month or so...

bikenburn

Forum Probie
I think the new ACLS guidelines are pretty straight forward, not to say the old ones werent. Some people are seemingly having a tougher time transfering into the new algorhythms because they've been using the old ones for so long, but seeing as how I only learned the old ones 2 or so years ago, I did just fine. All in all, I think the new "keep with compressions" attitude is a good one, but we will all have to wait to see if morbidity/ mortality increases at all once implemented in the field.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
One of the big changes I think is more student practice time and less interuptions by the instructor.

By the time the participant/student gets to their megacode test, they have seen 18 cases and were team leader 3 times.

I understand the "6" people problem but that has always been true in EMS. The medic will have to have a good undertanding of each role and deal with it. We have for years.

I think somethign elses is better too................ the students have to "know" the basics before they come to class. They will not be able to use any "reference" material to take the test or rely too heavily on it during the megacode (like it used to be in the old days).

We will see how it goes this weekend.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Wow!

Well we finished up today with the first class using the new material..............

It was a huge success! I couldn't believe how well people did during the MegaCode!

We had a great mixed group......... docs ,nurses and RRT. They were so smooth!

The focus is on the "core" content........... not all of the fluff people would add in the past.

The participants were able to get a ton of hands on without a bunch of standing around. Much, much better!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Kip,

I haven't seen the new course, but I was jussst about to order a new manual before I realized I didn't have the money :) I'm all for making things faster and easier, but do you think it's watered down at all?

I'm seeing more and more courses being offered online, and I'm worried that so much of this knowledge can't be gained sitting in front of a computer.

What do you think?

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Kip,

I haven't seen the new course, but I was jussst about to order a new manual before I realized I didn't have the money :) I'm all for making things faster and easier, but do you think it's watered down at all?

I'm seeing more and more courses being offered online, and I'm worried that so much of this knowledge can't be gained sitting in front of a computer.

What do you think?

The new ACLS isn't sitting in front of a computer. We don't accept any more of the "online" stuff at all.

I have taken ACLS numerous times since 1992 (every two years) :) I have taken it in South Florida, St. Louis and in smaller places lie Springfield and West Plains Missouri. All were the same. A student would ask a question and everything would slow down or come to a stop "waiting" for the student to "get it".

Now with the new format, the participant/student is forced to be a team leader and not hide in the back. It also forces good CPR (something we have all been failing to do)

I have never claimed to be the worlds smartest guy and try to impress with big words so this style of ACLS class fits me. It is a foucs in what really matters. If is supposed to be the first 12 minutes of a code.

As far as the 6 minute time frame for the code........... heck I cant' tell you how many medics I have watched (and CPR instructors, EMS instructors, RN preceptors etc) while they were teaching CPR or ACLS let the studetn get by with only doing a two minute code...........

You know the old reading from the algorithm without real time perception of the actual event.

I have one of the best respiratory guys on the planet as one of my teachign team. He LOVES to fail people in ACLS. He is the guy all the docs call at 2 in the morning when they are stumped.............. anyway he agreed with me that this new way will make the student get it better because there is waaaayyy more practice time.

As far as watered down............. I think it isn't.

If people are upset because we don't have to try and worry about ejection fraction and such anymore............. heck.......... thems sum pretty smart fellas.............. :)

Miramedic

Forum Ride Along
Pediatric Asystole

I understand why you do not give Atropine to infants but in Asystole, why is Atropine not appropriate for pediatrics?