New NC street drug

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
I searched previous post to see if anyone had commented on this before...couldnt find a reference. Recieved an email from one of our Lts mentioning a new street drug that really seems to be getting on its feet in North Carolina schools, called "strawberry quick" or "strawberry meth". It is meth in its crystal form, made to resemble 'Pop-n-Rocks" candy, colored red and flavored with strawberry flavoring. Some kids obviously know what it is before hand, but many others are getting it from friends thinking it is really candy. Then of course they are having severe reactions and end up in the ED. Lt went on to explain that they are starting to see it in some other flavors, like chocolate, cherry, etc. Just a heads up so you can be wary and maybe pass info along to family and friends with children. They are being particularly cautious now that Halloween is approaching.

suziquzi99

Forum Crew Member
I heard of this before school started here in Greenville SC. We are actually in Powdersville which is about 12 miles from G'vlle city limits so it is not city kids. Not that they are innocent but less problems in our district. However, they were checking all snacks at the beginning of the school year and do not allow any unwrapped candy (manufacturer wrapping). They haven't found any that I've heard of. Haven't heard anything from Greenville County either. I hope the story got out before it took off.

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
ive been hearing more and more about this stuff too. BAD STUFF!!! i havent as yet had to deal with it though, thank God. we dont have TOO big of a problem with crystal meth here in south central PA....yet. the drugs of choice around here are still crack and H. that is still scary stuff there too...especially when your pt is freaking out on you.

flhtci01

Forum Captain
This starting appearing in western states over a year ago.

For more just google it.

reaper

Working Bum
I have seen it once on the street. That was in Nebraska, about 4 years ago. Do not know if it has made it's way east yet?

OP
OP
H

HeavyCrow

Forum Crew Member
I have taken this email very seriously. Was sent out by LT to our entire dept on the company email. Not just a "hey I am bored so here is an interesting story" type of deal. We are a very large but mostly rural county on the coast in NC. We do get some influence by larger cities surrounding us. But just to verify, my wife is a deputy sheriff in the largest county in the state and she informs me this is real, not an urban legend. Meth has become the biggest threat in rural areas, far surpassing the threat of crack and heroin that we see in larger cities. Her county led the state in busted meth labs over the last couple of years. And if it does turn out somehow to be an urban legend, well the only thing to come from passing this along is one less type of candy will be popular and "Pop-n-Rocks" might not sell as many shares this year.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I have taken this email very seriously. Was sent out by LT to our entire dept on the company email. Not just a "hey I am bored so here is an interesting story" type of deal. We are a very large but mostly rural county on the coast in NC. We do get some influence by larger cities surrounding us. But just to verify, my wife is a deputy sheriff in the largest county in the state and she informs me this is real, not an urban legend. Meth has become the biggest threat in rural areas, far surpassing the threat of crack and heroin that we see in larger cities. Her county led the state in busted meth labs over the last couple of years. And if it does turn out somehow to be an urban legend, well the only thing to come from passing this along is one less type of candy will be popular and "Pop-n-Rocks" might not sell as many shares this year.

BUT I LOVE POP ROCKS!!!

According to Snopes this IS a kind of meth, but its not made to trick children into doing drugs. Eh. Just instruct your children to not take unwrapped candy, and send plenty of wrapped candy with them so they wont be tempted.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
My guess its purpose is more to look harmless to LEOs than to trick kids.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
SNOPES has it too...since early 2007

"It sounds like an urban legend. But Sheriff James Williams has held it in his hand, and says it smells just like strawberries.".

I've gotten some real stale or misguided "warnings" through my sheriff dept emails, but the fastest way to make someone mad is to debunk 'em.

People with residual intelligence, boredom and crank on board will try anything. I remember the worst thing comong down the pike was "ice" meth from Hawai'i. It turned out to be a "big deal", in small letters.

AlaskaEMT

Forum Crew Member
Yes, flavored meth crystals have been invented. Truly a feat of engineering.

No, kids are not being tricked into eating unpackaged Pop Rocks from strangers.

You do realize... drug dealers are not in the business to play pranks on people. "LOL... I just wasted $50 of possible profit on a 4th grader. I'm hilarouz"

Last edited by a moderator:

reaper

Working Bum
Yes, flavored meth crystals have been invented. Truly a feat of engineering.

No, kids are not being tricked into eating unpackaged Pop Rocks from strangers.

You do realize... drug dealers are not in the business to play pranks on people. "LOL... I just wasted $50 of possible profit on a 4th grader. I'm hilarouz"

Well yes, They aren't called pranks, they are called samples. A lot of drugs on the streets are made to entice kids. Dealers give them a nice sample, get them hooked and now have a new paying customer for years to come.

That is the business of drug dealing. They put PCP on nice lick-able stickers. They don't do that for the 30 yo junkie, They do it to attract kids.

Business 101- build a clientèle, then profit from the sales!