New NBC series "Trauma" this fall

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't watch a lot of TV. And when I do I like to watch things that are worth absorbing. I wonder when discovery health will come out with a non-fiction ems based show? They already have them for everything else. :rolleyes:

Trauma: Life in the ER, Code Blue, 911: The Bronx.

Looking at the website for Trauma... funny how the helicopter pilot appears to be around 25 and based on the description is somehow involved in patient care...

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I don't watch a lot of TV. And when I do I like to watch things that are worth absorbing. I wonder when discovery health will come out with a non-fiction ems based show? They already have them for everything else. :rolleyes:

There used to be one called Paramedics. Google "Paramedics tv show". You can find a few video clips.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh I also love how the ladies get special low cut uniforms!! I wish that we could wear those out here cause you know, it's all about being cute and that means showing a little cleavage sometimes! And wearing a long dangling necklace on a helicopter!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Lucid-- a pre-req to looking cute in uniform is actually looking cute in the first place.

:p

@Bunkie
Youtube clip of the Paramedics show
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rv-uWXo4xzU&NR=1[/youtube]

Dominion

Forum Asst. Chief
I miss Paramedics, that show and Trauma Life in the ER is narrated by the guy who narrates Taxi Cab Confessionals :D

I still watch Code Blue, 911 Bronyx and Trauma on Discovery Health. Great shows, I wish they'd do new seasons.

Second

Forum Lieutenant
I still watch Code Blue, 911 Bronyx and Trauma on Discovery Health. Great shows, I wish they'd do new seasons.

same, and I wish they didnt come on at 2 and 3 in the morning

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I miss Paramedics, that show and Trauma Life in the ER is narrated by the guy who narrates Taxi Cab Confessionals :D

I never got to see Paramedics, but I love Trauma and Code Blue. I wish they could make new seasons.

alphatrauma

Forum Captain
Type A... or just plain annoying

I literally cannot watch "medical" tv series. They bore me, and I completely ruin it for anyone else around. There are usually plenty of inconsistencies, and I will pick the show apart.

firecoins

IFT Puppet

VentMedic

Forum Chief
What happened? HIPAA law changes get in the way?

A few interesting articles:

Trauma: Life in the ER--education or entertainment? The patient's perspective.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Traum...r+entertainment?+The+patient's...-a0161610855

From Hippocrates to HIPAA: Privacy and Confidentiality in
Emergency Medicine
dPart II: Challenges in the Emergency
Department

http://www.acep.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=8880

Commercial Filming of Patient Care Activities in Hospitals
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/288/3/373?ck=nck

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
I literally cannot watch "medical" tv series. They bore me, and I completely ruin it for anyone else around. There are usually plenty of inconsistencies, and I will pick the show apart.

I was watching "Royal Pains" the other night. It's a great show, if you haven't seen it, but the medicine and god-like abilities of Dr. Hank are kind of House-like. It's definitely a character drama/comedy, and should be taken as such. Here are a couple examples I've seen so far:

The PA was on scene for a guy with a flail chest. He was on a sailing yacht, when one of the booms swung around and nailed him right in the lower right ribs. She never wrapped it, weighted it, or anything else. Just let the guy scream while she complained that, being on a boat, there was nothing she could do because she didn't have equipment. Finally, they devised an torture device consisting of salt water fishing hooks, pulleys, and a sandbag weight to pull the flail segment outward. This meant, of course, that she had to sink the hooks in, go around each rib, and out the other side.

Pretty horrible, considering you could have just taken the sandbag, tied it to his chest, and got the same amount of relief without all the horrible "OMG YOU'RE PUTTING FISH HOOKS INTO MY CHEST AROUND MY BROKEN RIBS! I'M CONSCIOUS OH GOD WHY ARE YOU DOING THIS WITHOUT KNOCKING ME OUT FIRST!?" pain.

Of course, he also ended up with a collapsed lung and passes out. She treated for a pneumo, and rightfully so. 14g, carefully find the space.... And she proceeds to lift the needle above her head and SLAM it into place as if she was trying to beat a snake to death with a club. He immediately comes back to consciousness, probably from the hit more so than the air rushing back into his lungs. Now, instead of just covering it with an occlusive dressing and just simply lifting the one side every so often, she went through the trouble of constructing a relief valve out of a cut exam glove, KY lotion, and a rubber band.

Another time, a girl on some banned medication from the Ukraine went out into the sun, and turned her skin Smurf blue. I'm talking as blue as the Star of Life at the top of this page is blue. She didn't know this until later, of course, when her obscure knowledge of non-FDA approved meds kicked in after looking at the bottle. Until then, though, she was talking normally, was absolutely fine otherwise, but the very first thing our supposedly knowledgeable PA checked for?

"I don't understand. She's not cyanotic, but she obviously looks like it. What else could it be?"

In no way did this girl look cyanotic, unless she was also frozen in addition to deprived of oxygen. But hey, it's Hollywood, right?

There are other issues too, but the only other real complaint I have are all these freaking rare disorders showing up in the Hamptons. At least on House, he's a diagnostician. People with unexplainable illnesses come TO him because of what he is and what he does. Dr. Hank shows up, and all the sudden Kuru and weird, inexplicably appearing medication allergies are popping up in one of the richest areas of the country.

I roll with it, don't get me wrong, as I love the shows characters. But when they start in on the medicine... Well, a grain of salt and all that...

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief
yes. Yes you did. Apparently you complain too much.:unsure:

I'm crying on the inside, too.

Besides, I wasn't complaining so much as I was... Ok, I was complaining. Just didn't want to see us devolve into the same old arguments again and again and again.

Thus, I'm in THIS thread, talking about TV shows. Much easier to stay out of trouble.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief

Trauma: Life in the ER--education or entertainment? The patient's perspective.
http://www.thefreelibrary.com/Traum...r+entertainment?+The+patient's...-a0161610855

From Hippocrates to HIPAA: Privacy and Confidentiality in
Emergency Medicine
dPart II: Challenges in the Emergency
Department

http://www.acep.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=8880

Commercial Filming of Patient Care Activities in Hospitals
http://jama.ama-assn.org/cgi/content/full/288/3/373?ck=nck

Thanks - these are really interesting. I'm fairly shocked that so few people felt it would be a privacy violation to be filmed without consent being obtained first.

PapaBear434

Forum Asst. Chief

Well, that sucks. Seems like they could still make the show if they did like "Cops" did: Pay the people in the cases for use of the footage, with permission of course. Just like the morons on "Cops" needed cash to pay for their legal fees they were about to incur, I'm sure some of these folks could use the cash to pay the outrageous medical fees they are likely to be charged.

Though, if a kid dies, I'm not sure parents would want to take money from the footage. Or any family members for that matter. Feel too much like blood money.

But a guy that goes over the handlebars of an ATV and needs to pay to get his face reattached? Seems like he'd be plenty eager to get some cash.

FutureParamedic609

Forum Crew Member
I'm looking forward to it starting. And I plan on watching it too. It looks good. I watch all medical shows (like Greys Anatomy, etc.) so this one looks even more interesting, being about paramedics and all. ;)

Does anyone know when it actually airs?

Emily