New Mobile Browser: TapaTalk

Sasha

Forum Chief
I use the free version on my BB. I can reply with the free version( like now).

It does act up once in a while, but better then nothing.

I still can't use it on mine.... I gues I will just steal yours :)

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
This thread was created about seven months ago. Since then we've had over a thousand people register so I wanted to take a moment and bring this thread back to the top.

If you'd like to access EMTLife on your smartphone using a user-friendly app, check out Tapatalk.

For more information check out the first post in this thread.

Do you use Tapatalk? I do!

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Using it on my Nook Color and was using it on my HTC Hero. Setting up my new Evo4g with it now.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
How does it look/feel/operate on the Nook?

Do you use Tapatalk? I do!

It's perfect on the Nook. Like an overgrown cell phone really. But the screen is big enough on it that I can also surf the forum in the browser without a problem

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Has anyone tried it on an Ipad? I'll give it a shot tonight and see how it works.

bigbaldguy

Just checked. Tapatalk is not available on the Ipad yet :( but its supposed to be out soon.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Just checked. Tapatalk is not available on the Ipad yet :( but its supposed to be out soon.

Can you link to where it's supposed to be out soon please? I'd like to keep an eye on it.

Thanks!

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
There probably will not be an ipad version as the ipad's screen is more than proficient at displaying a forum in full html/css styling. Couple this with the fact that the major languages are server-side (php, asp, cold fusion) and you then realize that the ipad needs no assistance rearranging data in the view controller of an app.

Also, I just posted this message with tapatalk (editing it on my laptop now) and it didnt put, "Posted by Taptalk on my iPhone". I am disappointed.

If you are hell-bent on getting tapatalk on ipad here is what you do.

Step 1: Download Tapatalk for iPhone on your iPad
Step 2: Jailbreak with GreenPois0n (<-- is it against the rules here to advise that since jailbreaking was ruled legal?)
Step 3: Install Retinapad (will make 2x mode a lot clearer and more usable by simulating the retina functionality of native iOS apps).

Last edited by a moderator:

bigbaldguy

This is where I thought I saw that it was going to be out soon. Now that I read it again I think I was probably mistaken. It does seem like there is a lot of interest in a native Ipad version though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to try the method suggested with the Ipod version. I tried using it as is and the graphics are less than optimal and I don't seem to be able to select items correctly.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
This is where I thought I saw that it was going to be out soon. Now that I read it again I think I was probably mistaken. It does seem like there is a lot of interest in a native Ipad version though so I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm going to try the method suggested with the Ipod version. I tried using it as is and the graphics are less than optimal and I don't seem to be able to select items correctly.

RetinaPad will fix the graphics issue. Make sure to back up your device and save off your blobs before jailbreaking. :)

Pretty much, the iPad has a large screen and the whole purpose of that large screen is to facilitate a rich user experience. The iPhone has a smaller screen and as such, websites such as forums that have alot of content can benefit from having their content reorganized in a format that is friendly to small screens, thus tapatalk was created.

iPad doesn't have a small screen so tapatalk for iPad is kinda useless. :)

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Step 2: Jailbreak with GreenPois0n (<-- is it against the rules here to advise that since jailbreaking was ruled legal?)

Borderline, especially given SECA's lawsuit involving the PS3 and jail breaking. I'll let this one stay, but from now on please do not include instructions like this.

medicRob

Forum Deputy Chief
Borderline, especially given SECA's lawsuit involving the PS3 and jail breaking. I'll let this one stay, but from now on please do not include instructions like this.

PS3 jailbreaking is a COMPLETELY different issue. There was no ruling on Sony, only apple. This is one of the issues Geohot (an online acquaintence of mine and famed jailbreaker) is facing.

iPhone Jailbreaking Made Legal
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/us-government-jailbreaking-iphone-legal/story?id=11254253

"Every three years, the Librarian of Congress and the Copyright Office entertain proposed exemptions to the DMCA, passed in 1998. The act forbids circumventing encryption technology to copy or modify copyrighted works. In this instance, Apple claimed the DMCA protects the copyrighted encryption built into the bootloader that starts up the iPhone OS operating system.

But the Copyright Office concluded that, "while a copyright owner might try to restrict the programs that can be run on a particular operating system, copyright law is not the vehicle for imposition of such restrictions."

There will be several court cases on the matter regarding Sony (The reason that Sony has more ground is because their encryptions are not just general use industry standard encryption algorithms like those employed in APPLE iOS but rather they use PATENTED encryption techniques which under DMCA could be potentially protected).

Either way, I will refrain from posting about jailbreaks, out of respect. I just felt the need to point that out. However, I will on this last post on the topic say that if you do choose to jailbreak your device, you do so at your own risk. If APPLE discovers that your device has been jailbroken, your warranty is void.

Back to the original topic.. sorry for the derail.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
^ kaboom.. get owned by medicrob

and I use tapatalk constantly.. its become a new facebook for me. It works flawlessly so far.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
PS3 jailbreaking is a COMPLETELY different issue. There was no ruling on Sony, only apple. This is one of the issues Geohot (an online acquaintence of mine and famed jailbreaker) is facing.

iPhone Jailbreaking Made Legal
http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/us-government-jailbreaking-iphone-legal/story?id=11254253

"Every three years, the Librarian of Congress and the Copyright Office entertain proposed exemptions to the DMCA, passed in 1998. The act forbids circumventing encryption technology to copy or modify copyrighted works. In this instance, Apple claimed the DMCA protects the copyrighted encryption built into the bootloader that starts up the iPhone OS operating system.

But the Copyright Office concluded that, "while a copyright owner might try to restrict the programs that can be run on a particular operating system, copyright law is not the vehicle for imposition of such restrictions."

There will be several court cases on the matter regarding Sony (The reason that Sony has more ground is because their encryptions are not just general use industry standard encryption algorithms like those employed in APPLE iOS but rather they use PATENTED encryption techniques which under DMCA could be potentially protected).

Either way, I will refrain from posting about jailbreaks, out of respect. I just felt the need to point that out. However, I will on this last post on the topic say that if you do choose to jailbreak your device, you do so at your own risk. If APPLE discovers that your device has been jailbroken, your warranty is void.

Back to the original topic.. sorry for the derail.

I never said it was the same, but my concerns go beyond the obvious. I used SECA as an example of how they are trying to extend a law via the courts, and more importantly how websites get drawn into the lawsuits. Righthaven and EMTCity are another example.

The Community Leaders primary responsibility is to protect the forum as a whole, so we have to look at these subjects from that perspective first. The vast majority of our forum rules are a result of this viewpoint.

I, too, apologize for the threadjacking but I wanted to take this opportunity to clarify our policy.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
I just got it for my iPhone... Now I'll actually be able to catch up on EMTlife posts!!!!

dhaage

Forum Crew Member
Just got a Desire and went ahead and installed tapatalk. So far so good. Might actually stay logged in instead of just lurking