New Here

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Hi everybody. Im new here. Im 20 years old from San Diego. I just pased my emt class and take the national registry on Tuesday. Can't wait!

Code 3

Forum Captain
Welcome to the forums and good luck on the National Registry! What ambulance companies or departments are you considering to work for? I would recommend putting in applications to AMR or Rural Metro for the San Diego area.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Im heading towards amr. Ive been hearing how rural metro is strict and not very flexible. But I will put in an application there also. I'm trying to stay near the bigger companies.

Last edited by a moderator:

ChargerGirl

Forum Crew Member
cool! congrats! i took mine at miramar (also from san diego) and just passed my class but am getting my wisdom teeth pulled next week so i'll probably take my nremt when i dont look like a chipmunk. i think i want to work at a hospital though bc my driving skills are a hazard anyways.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Yep I went to miramar too. Had Mary M-Th 1-5. Ya hospital is more money and you will get to do more. I hope to be an ER tech throughout medic school some day.

ChargerGirl

Forum Crew Member
yeah, i heard Mary is good. i had rodney/mike. they were both awesome and hilarious. Mike has an awesome 'stache. i would recommend those 2 to anyone taking the class for the first time and not knowing anything about being an EMT. they are great teachers

roxychick

Forum Crew Member
Im heading towards amr. Ive been hearing how rural metro is strict and not very flexible. But I will put in an application there also. I'm trying to stay near the bigger companies.

hey, i had mary too! she's pretty awesome! :) and rural metro is not that strict...it's a pretty awesome company!

emt19723

Forum Lieutenant
welocome to the world of EMS Matt!! get in, sit down, shut up, and hold on!!!! lol

Airwaygoddess

Forum Deputy Chief
Welcome!

Welcome to the tribe!! :):):)

ulrik

Forum Crew Member
yes, very welcome my friend. i am about to start my classes for emt, so i am still behind you. funny, eh?

Code 3

Forum Captain
Yep I went to miramar too. Had Mary M-Th 1-5. Ya hospital is more money and you will get to do more. I hope to be an ER tech throughout medic school some day.

When searching for an ER Tech position be aware that many hospitals use a different job title. For example, Sharp hospitals like Grossmont and Sharp Memorial call it "Health Care Partner (HCP)". As far as I have seen, Sharp Memorial requires CNA or concurrent enrollment in a nursing program for this position. However, Grossmont HS will accept CNA/EMT-B. For Palomar/Pomerado it's called "Healthcare Assistant" in the Intermediate Care department and "Emergency Dept. Technician" for the ER. Palomar/Pomerado also require at least 6-12 months experience and 1-2 year experience is preferred. It is extremely hard to get hired with a HS, especially w/o experience. Your best bet is to get some field time in with an ambulance company before making the switch to a HS.

OP
OP
MattCA

MattCA

Forum Crew Member
Chargergirl: Ya mike was funny. He helps a lot too and he made skills testing really easy. Mustache? He must have shaved it.

hey, i had mary too! she's pretty awesome! :) and rural metro is not that strict...it's a pretty awesome company!
So how does rural metro work exactly? If you work nights do you get to run low grade emergency calls?

Code3: Thanks for the info. I remember when I was just browsing the sites looking for an ER tech job I couldnt find one. So thanks, thats good to know.

uselessmedic

Forum Crew Member
Congrats on getting through the class and welcome to the forum!!!!!