New Guy With A Question

33mongo

Forum Ride Along
I am applying to become a FDNY EMT. I just want to know about how long it takes to promote to become a firefighter in the FDNY. I am not in a rush if fact I am trying to decide which route to take. Either wait and become a paramedic or wait and become a firefighter. Oh, just to answer your question I did try google and search on this page I can't find anything.

thanks.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I can't provide the answers you're looking for, though I know some of our members will be able to give you some good answers.

Did you become an EMT so you could become a FF in FDNY?

OP
OP
33mongo

33mongo

Forum Ride Along
I would be lying if I said no because I live in florida and became an EMT after becoming a firefighter. It has always been my goal to be in the FDNY. But now I don't know which road I want to take. EMS or FIRE I love them both.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
New York... snow and ice in the winter, blazing 100 + degree summer afternoons

Florida... Awesome winters, a few hot days in the summer, palm trees and beaches year round

And the reason you want to go to New York is?

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Well, FDNY is the largest EMS and Fire Department(s) in the USA... However, everything I've heard is that FDNY EMS is the ******* stepchild of FDNY... and I've seen many rants about how the medics/EMTs are treated.

I'm not from New York, but I'm not sure how easy/hard it is to bridge over from EMS to Fire...

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
I've heard various things. If you're deciding between the two, go firefighter, and you can be the EMT/Medic on the truck. Lately I've been hearing that people are having a hard time switching over from EMS to Fire.

Good luck with your endeavor... I'd say apply to both and see what happens.

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Chimpie said:
New York... snow and ice in the winter, blazing 100 + degree summer afternoons

Florida... Awesome winters, a few hot days in the summer, palm trees and beaches year round

And the reason you want to go to New York is?

Reasons not to move to Florida:

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=3164

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=2898

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=2343

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=2196

http://www.emtlife.com/showthread.php?t=1943

And the list goes on...

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
LOL GaEMT. There are enough New Yorkers here that you would think that.

Ahhh.... FFEMT8978, they're just tropical storms. And they only occur a few months a year (last year being the exception of course). The rest of the time it's paradise. Well, except in Princess' area. LOL

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Chimpie said:
LOL GaEMT. There are enough New Yorkers here that you would think that.

Ahhh.... FFEMT8978, they're just tropical storms. And they only occur a few months a year (last year being the exception of course). The rest of the time it's paradise. Well, except in Princess' area. LOL
Oh, and it rains 15-45 minutes a day, at approx. 1400-1500....

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
Actually it's about 30-60 minutes of rain somewhere between 1500-1800. :)

OP
OP
33mongo

33mongo

Forum Ride Along
top class

Any one know what the top class is for emt and what physical requirements there may be.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Chimpie said:
Well, except in Princess' area. LOL

LOL...It is just wonderful here! We have DESTIN afterall!! Destin, where Brittany Spears comes to get away from that fine husband of here. We have Clint Black. Reba. Wayne Rogers (from M.A.S.H and Trapper John, MD). We have Hank Jr. and Tim and Faith.

Of course we also have Ivan, Dennis, and Cindy. But they didnt stay to long.

Florida vs. New York?? The only snow white anything I want to see is the sand between my toes!

medic03

Forum Lieutenant
I was offered a job as a FDNY medic a few years ago but I went to work for a hospital based ems system due to the starting pay being much higher for me. The top out pay would have been higher for FDNY but in the beginning you get mandated a lot to stay and can get jerked around. I know people that hated it in FDNY and LOVED it there. It was always something I wanted to do, but when it came down to it, the almighty $$$$ won. YEs you are correct that FDNY EMS is the ******* step child and they get no respect, but it still is a good job, if you don't mind a lot of politics. There are tests that you can take to cross over to FDNY firefighter, and I think it's a min of 2 years on EMS and you have to be picked to do it, but there is a possibility. FDNY EMS will also, if you are picked to put you through medic school. They will pay you regular paycheck to go to class and then upgrade you to an ALS bus after you pass. Again, it's not a bad job, it just wasn't for me at the time. Hope this helps