New EMT in CA: A Few Questions...

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Hey guys, just wanted to say first of all how helpful this community's threads have been so far. Even before registering I've found tons of useful info and read some pretty great advice over in the "Did That Just Happen?" subforum.

Completed my EMT course at UCLA's Center for Prehospital Care about a month ago and just found out I passed the NREMT exam... so now I'm onto getting hired!

But, I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the required documentation and when I'll need to get each, and was hoping you guys could help me out:

- State of CA EMT License: As I understand it, each county gives you the same card, so it doesn't matter where you get licensed. One EMT friend told me employers will pay you through this, but at the same time, many job applications I've seen ask for your license number. If it'll improve my chances of getting hired at a better company, I'm willing to pay out of pocket, though.

- DoJ/FBI Live Scan: Sounds like this is needed for the State of CA license, and it seems you'll have to go and complete this before applying for state licensure? Or is it part of the state licensure process (ie: will I have to pay for this separately)?

- Ambulance Driver's Certificate: I was told this is basically required to get hired, and that I should get it ASAP. Would it be overly ambitious to make an appointment and go to DMV early that day to buy the handbook and flip through it, then take the written exam? Also, I will need to bring the completed DL-51 with me to the DMV to get the certificate, correct?

- DMV H6 Report: Is it typical for an employer to ask for this, or will they look up our driving records with just the Driver's License Number?

Thanks in advance for the help... and sorry for the wall of text! :rolleyes:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Most employers will pay for your recertification and not your initial cert (provided you are working for them when you need to recert. Your best option is to pay out of pocket for it. In reality that is your only option.

Yes you need your FBI/DoJ background check done before you get your EMT cert. Some areas require you to turn in proof that you have the background check started. You will also need to do a seperate background check for the ambulance drivers cert.

Get your ADL done before you apply anywhere. Most places require a copy of your cert for their hiring records. Yes you need to have the DL51 form filled out by both you and a qualified person (There is a list on the forum). You will also need the background check before you can take the test. The test is very common sense.

Some employers require the H-6 print out (usually the one that goes back 10 years). I'm not sure is they use your drivers license number only to track your records.

OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks a lot for the replies, DesertEMT66! Dang, so I'm going to need to shell out for two separate DoJ/FBI background checks? Ouch...

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Sadly yes. At around $60-$80 a pop it gets very expensive

cmyk

Forum Probie
Congrats on passing!

I believe the DMV Livescan only requires DOJ, so at least it's a little cheaper.

Also wanted to add that some employers want their H6s to be dated within 30 days from when you apply, interview, or get hired. So don't get it until they specify it's needed, to avoid going to the DMV and spending $5 all the time. And try to make appointments whenever you have to go.

OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks guys. Good tip, cmyk! The CA DMV website does seem to only mention DoJ, not FBI.

Following up on my earlier question, if I were to apply for licensure before applying for positions, I suppose I just leave all the employer-relevant information blank? For example, see Santa Clara County's form, at the bottom of first page:

www(dot)sccgov(dot)org/sites/ems/Documents/pcm900/901(dot)pdf

Can't quite post links yet, so just replace the (dot)'s

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Yes, leave all of the employer info blank. The employer info that Santa Clara County form is for when you are hired by an ambulance company that operates in Santa Clara County and apply for a Santa Clara County ID badge.

Also, the people at the SCCo EMS office are generally very helpful, you can just call them or show up in person and they will be more than happy to help.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Great, thanks stemi, I'll probably give them a call. So the ID badge is something that definitely happens post-hire--I won't need it now?

stemi

Forum Crew Member
Yes, post hire and assuming you're working for a company that operates in SCCo.

OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Got it, thanks for the help! Looks like I have a lot left to do <_<

snowtobay

Forum Probie
I'm working on the same process- it's not fun. As for the ADL written test, don't worry about it. Search Quizlet or online for some flashcards for the test, and you'll be fine. Try to make a DMV appointment, and prepare yourself for the usual DMV struggles (I couldn't get one and it took them four hours to do ANYTHING on my application).

OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the tips. Just got both my Live Scans done today, so I'm already down ~$130, and haven't even applied for my state license or ambulance certification yet :(

On another note, does anyone know of any hiring news from any Bay Area companies that run 911 calls (Paramedics Plus, AMR, RM, etc)? I have a friend who can probably help me land a job with his IFT company, but I'd really like to get 911 experience if I can... but then again, so does everyone else!

OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
An update--now have my state EMT license, and will be getting my DL-51 medical exam in two days and then taking the ambulance drivers' certificate test later this week!

A wrinkle with the DL-51 form though: apparently with the updated 2014 form, the green medical examiner's card was discontinued. Some employers still seem to be asking for proof of the medical exam though, so are we just supposed to keep a copy of the DL-51?

If anyone's gone through this recently, input would be awesome. Thanks!

avdrummerboy

Forum Lieutenant
It's a real PITA out here lol. Lot's of stuff you need to work, even more for paramedics! You need state EMT card and livescan, and yes it's good for the whole state; you need your DL-51, didn't hear about not doing the green cards for it anymore, may be something new, mine's not up until early next year. Also need your ADL and livescan for it. I just did a little research online beforehand and went in and winged the test and passed. You're also going to need your CPR card and CDL (duh.) Also, for your initial cert in CA you need NREMT but it's not needed for recertification. Also, every employer is going to ask for an H6 driving record dated within 30 of the time they ask for it. Also, most jobs want a negative TB test, some will pay for it as part of pre application.

And there it is! Good news is, once you've done livescans once, they're good for line unless you let your cert lapse or you get arrested for something. Also, recertification fees are usually lower than initial fees (exception being DL-51, full price every two years!)

It depends on the employer, but most will pay for all of your recerts as long as you're full time, but you're going to have to shell it out for the initial certs.

Hope this helps

OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks! Yeah, I'm all set except for the DMV stuff: once I get my DL-51 sorted out, take the written test, and pick up an H-6, it'll be time to finally get a job!

jeepdude911

Forum Crew Member
Try King - American in the city. Very reputable. As a newbie, you would get a good introduction to the field.

OP
OP
drl

drl

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for the recommendation, jeepdude911. I'll probably apply there, although it's quite a long commute from where I live.

An update: sorted out all the DMV stuff today, and passed the written test in one go! The flashcards floating around on the internet are a very good representation of what most of the Q's are.

Also, on the "green card" business: I think I've finally figured out what card we have to have now instead of the old DL-51A green card. I believe CA's transitioned to using this federal card instead.