New EMT-B applicant

esklar

Forum Ride Along
Hi All,

So I've been reading the forums for a bit and my apologies if this question has already been asked. I just started an EMT-B class in Massachusetts and I have my state practical certification on June 9th. I don't know when my written certification test is. First of all, does anyone know how long it takes between the practical and written tests (assuming I pass the practical)?

Second, I am looking on various ambulance companies websites. I have the flexibility to either work out here in Boston or out in Western Mass. (Springfield and Berkshire County) so there are a good amount of companies. My question though is when do I start applying? Do I wait until after I have all my certifications or should I start applying before and just let them know that I won't be certified until the summer? I'm assuming I should just wait until I get my certification finalized but I am applying to PA school and need HCE so I am hoping to get a lot of hours done this summer if possible. Again, I'm sorry if these questions have been asked already but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
No one will take a second look at your application unless you have all your certifications in hand.

It all depends on availability for test dates. I know it's not MA but for intermediate I took the NREMT practical and 2 days later took the written in the morning and had my certification number and application for my Nevada EMT-I that afternoon.

Epi52

Forum Probie
It's a tough job market in Mass. Like the poster above my said, no one will want to take a look at you until you have everything in hand. Some places will want you to have in addition to you EMT-B, a P/B certification. Get your NIMS/ICS classes out of the way now. PM me if you have any other specific questions. But finish your class, and stay out of trouble.

Edit: With regards to your second question, it can take up to 6 weeks provided you pass your practical. So you should try to figure something else out for the summer, sorry to say, but it doesn't seem like you will get to start working as an EMT this summer.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zeroo

Forum Crew Member
It took me 3 weeks to get the results from my practical. I then called and scheduled/paid for my written test and did it the next week. I was certified on the spot. I applied at 12 places over 3 days. o_O had a job 2 weeks after I was certified. Although I am still waiting to start.... I live here in MA. So if your lucky it can be a speedy process. Although starting work has taken me more than 3 weeks. o_O I might be waiting another week if human resources decided to take their time to schedule my ride time.

greenmountains

Forum Crew Member
Hi All,

So I've been reading the forums for a bit and my apologies if this question has already been asked. I just started an EMT-B class in Massachusetts and I have my state practical certification on June 9th. I don't know when my written certification test is. First of all, does anyone know how long it takes between the practical and written tests (assuming I pass the practical)?

Second, I am looking on various ambulance companies websites. I have the flexibility to either work out here in Boston or out in Western Mass. (Springfield and Berkshire County) so there are a good amount of companies. My question though is when do I start applying? Do I wait until after I have all my certifications or should I start applying before and just let them know that I won't be certified until the summer? I'm assuming I should just wait until I get my certification finalized but I am applying to PA school and need HCE so I am hoping to get a lot of hours done this summer if possible. Again, I'm sorry if these questions have been asked already but any advice would be greatly appreciated!

PM me if interested in Berkshire county. I did a post elsewhere about those services I know about. Maybe you can search?
You will need to have the certs in hand before applying anywhere unless you want cabulance work, which still needs rescuer CPR.