New EMT-B advice

lovelysara38

Forum Ride Along
HEY GUYS, I JUST FINISHED BASIC CLASS AND NEED SOME TIPS ON HOW TO GAIN CONFIDENCE IN THE FIELD. I FEEL LIKE I KNOW HOW TO DO THINGS, BUT GET VERY NERVOUS WHEN WE GET OUT THERE. I HAVE BEEN ON 10 RIDE OUTS, AND CANT SEEM TO SHAKE THE NERVES...:wacko: ADVICE?

MedicBender

Forum Captain
LOUD NOISES!

Just a friendly reminder that all caps is considered yelling in Internet speak :)

Confidence will come with time. The more time you spend with patients the more confident you will get.

Also Remember is their emergency not yours.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Don't start worrying about nerves until you are at more than 250 calls.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
You'll be just fine. Confidence comes with time, the more and more you ride and get used to the environment the better you will become. It takes some people longer than others, and if you have someone you're close to at work...talk to them and see what they did when they were fresh out of class. They may be able to give you some tips to calm your nerves.

Best of luck!!!!

Anjel

Forum Angel
Stop yelling at me!

And just breathe. You will be ok. Your partners will help you. Only took me a month or so and I fit right in.

Maine iac

Forum Lieutenant
Go at your pace. Even if your partner is like "blah blah blah i know this call blah blah" go at your pace. Take the minute to gather your thoughts and then step onto the scene.

If they are rushing on scene and getting to the pt, before you (if your attending on the call), tell them to wait for you.

On your drive to work just think about being a bawler! Put on your music and get a good song in your head and just rock the shift right from the start.

EMSANTHEM

Forum Crew Member
i've been an EMT now for around 6 months and i can say that it will take time number one i'd say learn your protocols and dont forget your gloves ;) and also remember that yes you are responding to a "emergency" but not every call you are rushing in and out because a pt is critical. Take your time get all the info you need and slow down everything from patching over the radio to moving your own body. Always be early and particpate actively in rig check familarlize yourself with the ambu equipment, if in between calls instead of watching tv go out just go check out the ambu. Also very important if you don't know how to do something or cant here at BP NEVER fake a reading! just ask your partner to double check this can happen in the back. I would also very much consider buying a good scope. My scope is a 3m littman select $45.00 plus shipping it is worth the $!
those are my tips if you have any questions msg me or respond on here!

- EMSANTHEM

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
More calls, less nervousness.
I made this my mantra, and it's helped: It's his/her emergency, not mine.

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Granted, I am still a basic student, however I just wanted to add a few thoughts;

Sometimes, being a little stressed is a good thing; my instructor has said that she worries about the ones who think they are utterly prepared and ready for anything, and that the ones who are a little worried, she does not fear for, as they will strive to make sure everything is being done right. And its natural, I think, to be a bit nervous- you are in stressful situations and are expected to help save lives or keep a person alive till they can get long term help. With time and experience, it should ease a bit. Also, remember, you have a big EMS family, here on this site and within your agency, when you need a hand, just ask- its better to be humble and ask then to ignore a possibly dangerous situation.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Even on critical patients don't rush in and out: hurrying makes you forget things, gives you a chance to trip over something, and make you look like a goof in front of people.

Work out a way to evaluate every patient; and do it the same way every time. do it with family members and friends and co workers until you can do it in your sleep, because there will be times that you will be asleep and doing it.

Mine is: (no matter what the incident, trauma, (even on sprained ankles), medical, etc.
Check what outside of house and inside of house looks like on way to patient: (look to see if there is junk all over, if rotting food is lying around, mouse/rat droppings etc {look to see if Social Services need to be notified after run}).
As you walk up to patient introduce yourself in normal tone of voice, and ask their name and what happened: if they look at you and respond normally it tells you what their mental state is and if they understand english or can even hear. Also, look for skin color, respiratory effort (normal person wont be working to breathe)
Squat down next to them (if they are sitting) (especially if they are pedriatic) and slowly reach out and check a pulse in wrist: don't check for actual heart rate; I am checking to see if they have a pulse in wrist, if it is rapid or slow, weak or strong, regular or irregular. Also tells you skin temp (hot, cool), condition ( dry, or diaphoretic). Also check to see how long cap refill is when you release their wrist (CR doesn't have to be done in nail bed)
Continue to talk to the patient, letting them know what you are doing "Mrs Jones I am going to check your pulse for a few seconds" while you are doing this you can also ask more details of what happened, and when it started, what makes it better or worse, etc.

Like I said do it with every patient every time, and it works great, less than 30 seconds and you know their mental state; skin color, temp, condition, basic pulse info, cap refill and the basics of what happened or why they called you today