New EMS position

TexasMedic

Forum Crew Member
I'm getting ready to start a new volunteer position with a new EMS agency in Houston. This will be my first time I'm working in a true EMS role in a about 3 and half years. I have worked on a basic first aid team in the mean time and finished my bachelor's. I fear that I 'm a little rusty on my skills and may in fact not be very effective.

My question to yall is, Once your back in the role of working EMS do your skills and knowledge start to come back to you? I really love the EMS field and hope that one day I may be able to make it a large part of my life I just dont want to get into this and not end up being good at it anymore.

EMSLaw

Legal Beagle
Haven't you been taking refresher training to renew your EMT registration? If not, you probably should. New Jersey has a four-day (more or less, depending on number of hours, etc.) course called "Core 13" for EMTs that's required prior to every renewal (so, every 3 years). Your state may have something similar.

OP
OP
T

TexasMedic

Forum Crew Member
I have been taking refresher courses and CE's. My fear is not that I don't know the material. Just that practical use of it may cause me to stumble a little. As you know learning it in the classroom is one thing but using it in the field are two different things. That said I have been a part of a minor first aid team so I have used my skills to some extent. I really think that I may be stressing over nothing.

Raymond

medic417

The Truth Provider
If you can not recall how to do basic skills you may want to consider another profession. So unless you have mental issues I would guess you are stressing over nothing. Best advice is it is time to go get your Paramedic degree.