New CPR Guidelines

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
I have to do a small report on the new CPR Guidelines, it will include a chart of the old way of doing things and the new way of doing things compared side by side and the benefits/differences between the two. So I was wondering if anyone had any good resources for this. I have checked the American Heart Association but didn't really find what I was looking for. Thanks!!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Really don't know what "new" CPR guidelines you are referring to; the last guidelines came out over two years ago and I would no longer consider them "new". In fact, probably the only source of having the "old" standards would be older EMS textbooks.

If you are exploring new concepts in CPR (yes, there is consideration of changing it again, within the next two years) I would investigate journals such as American Heart Association Currents (which is on-line) and Heart & Lung which are publications from AHA, that involves current lit.

Good luck!

R/r 911

skyemt

Forum Captain
Rid,

i know of a Heart & Lung publication by Elsevier, is there also one by the AHA?

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
AHA has a publication called 'Currents' which has a nice comparison of the current guidelines with the previous version. It also includes the reasons why and supporting science.

OP
OP
babygirl2882

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Hmm I tried to look for it and just can't find it! If anyone could help? It said that you had to be an instructor to subscribe to currents.
But Bossy that was exactly what I was looking for!! Thank you so much!

Markhk

Forum Lieutenant
For BLS, the major changes included:

30:2 compression to ventilation ratio for single rescuer CPR of all ages
Reducing ventilation duration to 1 second (from 2 seconds)
Emphasizing "Push hard, push fast, let the chest fully recoil and minimize interruptions"
Moved from 3 "stacked" shocks to 1 shock then 2 minutes immediate CPR
Noting that hyperventilation can be detrimental to cardiac arrest survival by preventing blood return to the heart

Really, Guidelines 2005 was all about emphasizing the importance of good CPR. I remember Guidelines 2000 when it was all about evidenced based medicine and airway management.

The reasons behind some of the changes are varied. Some changes are because the recommendation panels wanted to simplify things for the rescuer or for easier education. Other changes were done in response to specific research showing clinical benefit.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Rid,

i know of a Heart & Lung publication by Elsevier, is there also one by the AHA?

It is the same, it is produced for AHA (more into scientific emphasis)

R/r 911

kiwimedic

Forum Probie
I think (which can be dangerous) that the changes are basically what came out in the 2005 AHA guidelines.

Since I've been round CPR has gone from 5:1 to 15:2 to 30:2.

The CPR shield I have in my back pocket still shows 15:2 on the packet.

Of course, we could go back to the "old" methods (read: Silvester and Neilson) - infact, I have a nursing text from the mid 70s which still shows the Neilson method.

I wonder what Peter Safar would have to say about us.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
The AHA put out an online booklet (PDF) on the old vs. new CPR. It had charts and comparisons, and went step by step through teh changes.

Try googling around. Let me know if you can't find it, as I'm sure I have it around here somewhere.

RavenMaster

Forum Probie
For BLS, the major changes included:

30:2 compression to ventilation ratio for single rescuer CPR of all ages
Reducing ventilation duration to 1 second (from 2 seconds)
Emphasizing "Push hard, push fast, let the chest fully recoil and minimize interruptions"
Moved from 3 "stacked" shocks to 1 shock then 2 minutes immediate CPR
Noting that hyperventilation can be detrimental to cardiac arrest survival by preventing blood return to the heart

Exactly right. How I learned it exactly a few months ago as per BLS for Healthcare Providers:
Single Rescuer
New: 30 Chest Compressions to 2 "Breaths"
OLD: 15 Compressions to 2 "Breaths"

Good luck with your report! BTW here is the link for the PDF:
http://www.americanheart.org/downloadable/heart/1132621842912Winter2005.pdf

OP
OP
babygirl2882

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Thank you Thank you!!!!! Just what I needed (from everyone!)

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I posted the link to the publication here before. If you search the forum for CPR guidelines you should find it. If not I can look for it later.