New basic, what should I bring with me?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
After recent events I bought a mic attachment for our handheld radios which makes it a whole lot more convenient
I have one of these for my supe radio. It sits in a basket...collecting dust.

MackTheKnife

BSN, RN-BC, EMT-P, TCRN, CEN
This. The only other thing I carry is my own set of ears, but my shears have been with me since my L.A. County EMS days.

Let us not forget the power of a trusty "Surefire" either.
Surefire is great, but I switched to Fenix. Just as good and way less $$$$$.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

MackTheKnife

Streamlight stylus pro is the way to go. Although my Fenix E12 was nice before I lost it.
Streamlight makes great products. My pistols have Streamlight tactical lights on them. Surefire is way overpriced.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Streamlight makes great products. My pistols have Streamlight tactical lights on them. Surefire is way overpriced.

Yeah, they do, I'm thinking about buying a streamlight tlr-1 for my s&w TRR8. Only thing is I have conflicted feelings about the way a light would look on a revolver.

MackTheKnife

Hmm? Never thought about a wheel gun. However, I would wonder about finding a holster.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
Hmm? Never thought about a wheel gun. However, I would wonder about finding a holster.

Right now I just have it in a Safariland competition holster. But if i did need to holster it with the light, i'm sure that there are many custom kydex places out there that could hook me up.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
View attachment 3073
Pfffth, I don't know about you?..but this is what all the "kool kidz" wear these days:rolleyes:
We all wear duty belts. I freaking hate them. Waiting for my buddy to finish his little cancer fundraiser he's doing so he can make me a radio strap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Radio straps vs bat belts. Not a belt fan. I was one of the only guys at my service to wear a radio strap. When I started wearing it, apparently someone thought it was cool, now half the department has them. #coolKid

For me, it's just easier to take it off and hang up as opposed to the big assed belt with crap sliding around on it. Also, comfort in the truck. I can move that radio strap holster where it's not digging into me.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
Right now I just have it in a Safariland competition holster. But if i did need to holster it with the light, i'm sure that there are many custom kydex places out there that could hook me up.
I'm a fan of Serpa Holsters, especially if you are carrying, I have it for work due to retention points, but it also fits my personal firearms that have accessories.

redundantbassist

Nefarious Dude
I'm a fan of Serpa Holsters, especially if you are carrying, I have it for work due to retention points, but it also fits my personal firearms that have accessories.
No way I'd carry that big a gun everyday (the R8). It lives in a locked drawer in my nightstand if something goes bump in the night. My carry is a little tiny ruger lc9 (w/ crimson trace) in an IWB leather holster.

Last edited:

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
No way I'd carry that big a gun everyday (the R8). It lives in a locked drawer in my nightstand if something goes bump in the night. My carry is a little tiny ruger lc9 (w/ crimson trace) in an IWB leather holster.
Fair enough. :)

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't remember how big the R8 is, but bigger ones aren't too bad. I have a Sig P320 and thats a chunky gun with a bit of weight when fully loaded. Fits nicely though.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Probably time to get back to the original topic and move the gun talk to another thread.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
After recent events I bought a mic attachment for our handheld radios which makes it a whole lot more convenient

This coming from the same person who looked at me funny when I said that I have one for our portables.

OP
OP
YoungbloodEMS

YoungbloodEMS

Forum Probie
I'm fine with all the gun talk haha :). Honestly guys, I'm STILL waiting on Texas to issue my EMT cert, so I'm not going to be able to utilize all of this Grade-A info for a little while longer so I may have to come back and ask a few more questions when the time comes but if in the meantime y'all want to hi-jack this thread for gun talk that's fine by me.

OhItzJimmy

Forum Crew Member
I'm going to be starting soon as a fresh basic in San Antonio, Texas and I would like to avoid having unnecessary equipment and looking like freaking Batman. Any ideas on what items are essential and what items are superfluous?
Important items are cellphone, charger, ice water, snacks, some change, your own stethoscope & bp cuff, pen & notepad, your rig should have the other necessities.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
your rig should have the other necessities.

Like a bp cuff... no need to go out and buy something that should already be stocked on your rig in the first place.