New Basic- Looking for Advice

heresay

Forum Crew Member
Hey guys, I just passed NREMT the other day. I will be taking AEMT Registry in May and was curious if you guys think it would be worth it to try to get a job as a Basic between now and then.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Hey guys, I just passed NREMT the other day. I will be taking AEMT Registry in May and was curious if you guys think it would be worth it to try to get a job as a Basic between now and then.

Any advice or thoughts would be appreciated.

Work at McDs or Starbucks. Less hours better pay and benefits than IFT ambulance.

ThirtyAndTwo

Forum Probie
I think it could be very helpful, practical experience is always a bonus to learning and more importantly it will greatly enhance your resume when you apply for a paid EMS position. In my area it is almost impossible to find a paid EMS position that is willing to train you, they want experienced providers. I figure I'll have to volunteer for at least a year before I can get a paid job (keep in mind I would only be doing like a shift a week)

OP
OP
H

heresay

Forum Crew Member
I think it could be very helpful, practical experience is always a bonus to learning and more importantly it will greatly enhance your resume when you apply for a paid EMS position. In my area it is almost impossible to find a paid EMS position that is willing to train you, they want experienced providers. I figure I'll have to volunteer for at least a year before I can get a paid job (keep in mind I would only be doing like a shift a week)

A shift a week is all I'd be able to manage for the next few months as well, but I agree; I think it's valuable experience that will set me above some of the other people coming out of my class that don't get that experience.

JMorin95

Forum Crew Member
Find an ambulance company that is willing to train you. Even if its only a volunteer position. Experience is key.

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
Hey, I feel you on not being able to fine Paid FT EMT jobs. I am in SOuth NJ. and it is horrid. Either they are a volly squad, or they are already staffed up with FT Lifers or they only offer part time positions. i am going to be working ina call center over night and the [ay is great and the benefits are awesome. I am going to be picking up volly shifts and then I am going to try and figure out how to do Medic school in the day time. Lots to figure out but I hear you on finding it very hard to get emt jobs.

OP
OP
H

heresay

Forum Crew Member
Hey, I feel you on not being able to fine Paid FT EMT jobs. I am in SOuth NJ. and it is horrid. Either they are a volly squad, or they are already staffed up with FT Lifers or they only offer part time positions. i am going to be working ina call center over night and the [ay is great and the benefits are awesome. I am going to be picking up volly shifts and then I am going to try and figure out how to do Medic school in the day time. Lots to figure out but I hear you on finding it very hard to get emt jobs.

If I were you I would take the part times that some of the places offer. That way you have a foot in the door to move into full time and you're making some money doing it. Just my .02.

Trauma's Mistress

Forum Crew Member
I am not against that idea either. I just couldn't afford it to be my only income a few years back. I can't really now either, but picking up a shift here and there to be considered "part time" isn't a bad idea either at this stage if things for me :)