New AHA protocol?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I've heard of 200:1, not more than that.

Several areas of the country have been doing 200 for a few years as part of a long term study. The modified hand position has also been in practice for the last 3 years or so. It too, is expected to be among the minor changes coming up. We started teaching it here in 2007 or 2008...I forget which.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
public service announcement

over the last couple of years there have been international reports of Chinese grad students and organizations of falsifying research or presenting research that never existed. There has also been considerable plagiarism of other resources.

I would hold any study coming out of China as highly suspect.

Here is one story on it. Google turns up an extensive list.

http://www.economist.com/blogs/asiaview/2010/07/academic_fraud_china

"CHINA’S president, Hu Jintao, speaks often and forcefully of the need to foster innovation."

"Yet doing so will be hard, not least because of the country’s well-earned reputation for pervasive academic and scientific misconduct. Scholars, both Chinese and Western, say that fraud remains rampant and misconduct ranges from falsified data to fibs about degrees, cheating on tests and extensive plagiarism."

Last edited by a moderator:

YoungMedic

Forum Probie
Currently using CCR as well as AHA guildlines.

The Cardiocerebral Resuscitation Demonstration Project was initiated in January, 2005, after approval by the Bureau of EMS & Trauma System and the EMS Council of Arizona.

This protocol is specifically for trained EMS providers after training and approval by their Administrative Medical Director. The training is provided by the Bureau of EMS & Trauma System.

The CCR protocol is designed for adult cardiac arrest. Patients less than 8 years of age, drowning patients, drug overdose patients, trauma patients, and respiratory arrest patients are excluded.

The CCR protocol focuses on providing the optimal timing for defibrillation, minimizing interruptions to chest compressions, minimizing pauses between chest compressions and defibrillation, early administration of intravenous epinephrine, and minimizing over-ventilation during cardiac arrest.

http://www.azshare.gov/documents/CCR_Poster.pdf

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The changes in protocol updates are being rolled out over the next 6-8 months... at your next recertification you will be updated.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I have been informed today that the new guidlines will be disseminated to instructors starting nov 12.

As soon as I have something concrete on the changes I will post them here.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
2001 to 1!!!???? That's insane!! Lol

Denver metro guidelines state 200 compressions before ventilating, then continue in the standard 30:2 rate

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
yes, they switched it from ABC to CAB because of a few studies that came out about lay rescuers being focused on compression only CPR. That in turn fueled the change from ABC to CAB.

But yes... it should be interesting to see the change!

zmedic

Forum Captain
Not sure how I feel about no pulse check for BLS providers. I can agree that lay rescuers probably can't find pulses reliably but I think an EMT-B should be expected to.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not sure how I feel about no pulse check for BLS providers. I can agree that lay rescuers probably can't find pulses reliably but I think an EMT-B should be expected to.

Studies show that providers of all levels have a difficult time finding a carotid pulse while under stress, so it makes sense to me
EDIT: I'm trying to find that study's web address now.

zmedic

Forum Captain
Studies show that providers of all levels have a difficult time finding a carotid pulse while under stress, so it makes sense to me
EDIT: I'm trying to find that study's web address now.

If they can't find it, start CPR. No worse than starting it because they aren't breathing. It also bothers me that patients who may be unresponsive for another reason like head trauma who may not be breathing because their airway is obstructed are going to get a round of compressions before they get a jaw thrust.

I understand that the AHA feels that the benefit of getting a large group compressions faster outweighs the risk of the fewer who are just in respiratory arrest. But it still bothers me.

AnthonyM83

Forum Asst. Chief
Uh, guys...look through the material provided in the various links (including link to the other thread).

CAB wasn't put in effect because of what lay rescuers were doing. Pulse check was not eliminated. If anything lay rescuers for past few years have been doing better...by not messing around with A and B.

CAB was changed due to what WE (healthcare providers) were doing...taking too long from arrival to first chest compression. The A and B steps were delaying compressions (finding, assembling BVM, getting a good C-E grip) all the while this person was in cardiac arrest...in a situation where every minute/second to first compression counts.

If you only have 4-6 minutes before brain damage, even one minute from arrival to first compression is WAY too long.

Additionally, there's also the idea that if a patient does have depleted oxygen upon arrival, chances of him still having a shockable rhythm are very low...so this subset of patients have poor outcomes anyway. And for the ones who DO have oxygen remaining, at least we're circulating that right away and increasing survival chances for those who HAVE a chance. At least that's ONE of the thoughts behind it.

I'd love to have a protocol like the 200 compressions that some people posted about. That's shown incredible promise in several studies.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Wait? No outrage over not administering supplemental oxygen in ACS yet minus signs of hypoxia or shortness of breath?

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Wait? No outrage over not administering supplemental oxygen in ACS yet minus signs of hypoxia or shortness of breath?

Give it time... The true enormity of removing the most holy of EMS sacraments will eventually sink in... :D

FreezerStL

Forum Crew Member
Give it time... The true enormity of removing the most holy of EMS sacraments will eventually sink in...

Yeah, it has only been a week since the new guideline was released. Wait until the curriculum actually starts being taught... :blink:

Outrage!

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief

Damn it feels good to be a gangsta! *smashes photo copier with baseball bat*

Imma enjoy the fact that I've been trying this in scenarios for two years and may now get something other than distain from the instructor when I try a strange new thing.