Nervous- still havent heard application

Amelia

You're stuck w/ me now (insert evil laughter here)
I need honest answers if you can help at all, and you guys are awesome at being honest. I spoke with my husband's cousin who is a firefigher/EMR. He said that he changed positions, but his buddy got hired right on with the new company right away with the new Ambulance company. Granted, the guy has actual experience (probably a lot) but I havent heard a word since I put my application in on June 20th. I am trying really hard to be patient, and I did email once to make sure my application was in correctly so I could fix anything (which I wont do again- don't want to seem pushy). But I am really getting nervous now. I have all of the required and preferred credentials and I really really really want this job, as you all know by now. I know it is a competitive job, but I am praying really hard that my application isnt in the "trash bin." Should I keep the hope or give up. On the positive note, I do have an interview for a volunteer EMT position in one of the local small towns. Maybe that will be my path for a while.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
Even considering the passage of the 4th of July, I would discount it at this point and continue applying.

If they call you up for an interview much later.... Hey, nice surprise!

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Even if the dashboard says its still in the HR stage? Passive rejection?

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a rejection letter. There are companies that I applied to years ago that still have my application status online as "Under Review".

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Use the phone. Ask to speak to HR or whoever is in charge of hiring. Leave messages until you receive a response. No response is not no.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Use the phone. Ask to speak to HR or whoever is in charge of hiring. Leave messages until you receive a response. No response is not no.

This, some ambulance companies take forever to hire. Maybe consider applying to other companies to increase your chances of getting hired.

COmedic17

Forum Asst. Chief
Call and ask if you are still under consideration for hire.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Honestly, as a new emt, you shouldn't put all your eggs in one basket. Emts are a dime a dozen, so the safest bet is to shotgun applications to every service near you.
If you have your heart set on that service, though, keep bugging them amd respectfully asking where you stand. Not every day, but maybe every week and a half pr two weeks.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I am wondering about their hiring process. My dashboard says I am in "HR stage" but that is almost 3 weeks now. As was stated before, maybe I should give up? I dont know if they discarded me or theyre very slow with application traffic.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
You were already given advice and comments in your other thread.

Most companies will not tell you that you are no longer being considered for the position.

I applied to Paramedics Plus Alameda County, CA probably around 9 times. I tried the give them some space method and just wait it out. I've tried walking into their station in San Leandro, CA to give them my resume, which they didn't accept. Apply online only. I tried contacting their HR person in Texas, which everyone swears up and down is what you are suppose to do. I tried calling and calling every once in awhile. Probably called around once a month. That guy never picks up his phone! I tried e-mailing him twice and I actually got offered an interview for their IFT division Patient Plus. I received the e-mail a couple of hours before the deadline he gave in the e-mail and I actually saw the e-mail the following day. That's my experience with Paramedics Plus Alameda County, CA.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a job there. I wouldn't apply only there. As somebody else mentioned, EMTs are a dime a dozen, or whatever that phrase is. Apply every where. Be prepared for a lot of silence and rejection.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Thats what I was thinking. What sucks is thats the only ambulance service here in a very long distance that pays. Disappointing.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

I was trying to be optimistic. Oh well.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Do not take silence as an answer. Many ambulance companies are awful when it comes to HR efficiency and that is not your issue. I have called an emailed places several times per week to get answers. Sometimes that got me an interview, other times more silence. But eventually I got answer. If you can go in person to check your status that would be even better.

I figure if they are ignoring me or too busy to notice my inquiries, a whole pile is not going to bother them. But it might get you noticed.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Ok, heres another question (keep in mind the next paying ambulance service is an hour away) I have a volunteer interview today. If I do get that position, do I email them and say "hey! im getting experience now! You can take me somewhat seriously!" I am just one of those people who wont budge until someone tells me which has a 50/50 success rate. :)

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

Esp when its someone who wants to wirk very part time over nights?

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
It's been less than 2 months, so I wouldn't be freaking out just yet. Some places take forever to get back you you, because they put out a hiring call, then don't even bother thinking about looking at the applications until the application period ends.
And new EMTs are a dime a dozen, so definitely apply to every other place and don't expect to be hired on your first try.

OP
OP
Amelia

Amelia

The only other places I can apply is at volunteer positions which I have an interview tonight. The closest other paying service is an hour away, which isnt feasable with South Dakota winters. So I will be volunteer for a while if I dont get this job and apply again later.

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
If I do get that position, do I email them and say "hey! im getting experience now! You can take me somewhat seriously!"
Update your resume. That's it.

Continue applying for the job or checking the status when appropriate (eg calling HR). Every company is different. Some companies will prefer people who call, e-mail, or walk in every once in awhile. Others absolutely hate it with candidates do that. The best way to finding out is asking other people who have gone through the process before or trying yourself and getting a feel for the company. Try to be respectful to HR by not pestering them too much. Some jobs won't accept new applications until >6 months since the last time you applied.

Underoath87

Forum Asst. Chief
The only other places I can apply is at volunteer positions which I have an interview tonight. The closest other paying service is an hour away, which isnt feasable with South Dakota winters. So I will be volunteer for a while if I dont get this job and apply again later.

Are there no hospitals in your area? You could work as an ED tech.
What about medical standby companies?
Explore the less obvious employment options for an EMT.

DogzRule

Forum Ride Along
Posted this under one of your other topics on this subject also but for what it's worth Amelia, I applied to this company in the Midwest in Feb this year and they didn't contact me for an interview until the end of May. I never heard a single thing from them until that phone call in May and I never sent them any follow up emails or calls during that time I was waiting either. I had already started working for my first choice service by the time they got around to calling so I politely declined. Bottom line, I think it takes Paramedics Plus a LONG time to get to the point of contacting applicants for interviews so you may just have to wait it out. And wait and wait and wait........