Nerves, or true difficulty

Pittma

Forum Crew Member
In the same way that you're apparently well versed in the matter you're chiming in upon.

Two things: Veneficus is right. There's a vast difference between, say, sticking a tank of O2 into a fire and letting it cook off and even opening the regulator and holding a lighter to it (seen it done before....don't try it at home because you get a two foot flame as a result). Oxygen is not burning itself in that situation, it supports combustion which is why it will make a small fire get a hell of a lot bigger and a whole lot hotter. You're not going to have the flame go back into the tank and make it blow up.

You might understand a basic physics equation, but you certainly seem to know little beyond the myths of oxygen and fire.

LMAO You sir are clueless.

I really don't appreciate being told I'm clueless. A simple explanation of why I was wrong, and perhaps teaching me what I said that was wrong would have been more than sufficient. Were you trying to learn once, or were you born into superiority?

I understand the thought process. I'm aware the flame won't go back into the tank. I know that these tanks are also very well built, and aren't bombs in the classical sense of "light the fuse and get away". I don't want to add more potential for a bad fire. Regardless of the reason, cigarette ash starts small fire, small fire near oxygen, etc. I have also seen what happens when you add fire to an open regulator. I'm not a dumb***, but thank you for explaining your thought process with me. Just try to be a little less rude, there is no need for that.

Best,
Nick

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I really don't appreciate being told I'm clueless. A simple explanation of why I was wrong, and perhaps teaching me what I said that was wrong would have been more than sufficient. Were you trying to learn once, or were you born into superiority?

I understand the thought process. I'm aware the flame won't go back into the tank. I know that these tanks are also very well built, and aren't bombs in the classical sense of "light the fuse and get away". I don't want to add more potential for a bad fire. Regardless of the reason, cigarette ash starts small fire, small fire near oxygen, etc. I have also seen what happens when you add fire to an open regulator. I'm not a dumb***, but thank you for explaining your thought process with me. Just try to be a little less rude, there is no need for that.

Best,
Nick

Sooooo....think you can apply this same response to your mentor?
A lesson can be learned from almost any experience. :)

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I really don't appreciate being told I'm clueless.

Well, you were told nicely by JPINFV that you were wrong. You responded by trying to show that you're smarter than him. I was being nice in my response.

Were you trying to learn once, or were you born into superiority?

My parents taught me not to open my mouth on professional topics unless I was damn sure I knew what I was talking about. It's not that I was born into "superiority", I just learned not to cram my foot into my mouth before I left elementary school.

I'm not a dumb***,

Then don't give me a reason to question your knowledge level. If you don't know something, say so. It's not a cardinal sin.

but thank you for explaining your thought process with me.

Not a problem.

Regardless of the reason, cigarette ash starts small fire, small fire near oxygen, etc.
OK. Cigarette ash won't start a fire. It's cool enough that you can grab it off the end of the cigarette with your fingers if you are careful. The reason is that it has a very high surface area to mass ratio which allows it to cool exceptionally quickly.

Even if you hold a cigarette in direct oxygen flow, you're going to end up with a pile of ash in a matter of a few seconds. Is it possible to start a fire with a cigarette? Of course, but the chances are extremely low outside of sticking the cigarette directly into something flammable (bedding, trash can, etc) and if you're wanting to dance on the matter of the scenario you are presenting, I am more than game for that.

Honestly, oxygen is a moot point in a vehicle fire. It's not going to increase the rate of burn significantly (due to dilution of the oxygen in the atmosphere more than a couple of inches from the valve) and if you're not out of the vehicle by the time the tank would cook off, you're going to be already dead due to the toxic products from everything else that has burned previously.

Just try to be a little less rude, there is no need for that.

I'll try but sometimes being blunt is the only way to get one's point across.

Last edited by a moderator:

JPINFV

Gadfly
Well, you were told nicely by JPINFV that you were wrong. You responded by trying to show that you're smarter than him. I was being nice in my response.
Fixed that for you...

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief

JPINFV

Gadfly
actually you might want to add in the correction factors in order to correctly analyze the pressure due to the attractive IPF that occur with such a high pressure and ammount of gas:
(P+[n^2a/V^2])(V-nb)=nRT

Rather irrelevant since no one is going to be calculating it out on the scene of a fire. The important concept is that pressure and volume are inversely related to each other and both are directly related to temperature. As temperature rises, volume and/or pressure also increases.

But, sorry to use a relevant example to explain how dangerous and volitile these tanks are. Smoke in the ambulance, accidently leave a regulator open, and for some crazy reason you create a fire, then you have that exact same situation. I'm not saying smoking in an ambulance is a guaranteed way to get your limbs blown off...but I wouldn't want to try to see what it takes.

Assuming someone is smoking in the back and starts a fire, why would they wait around while the fire spreads and the back heats up for the tank to explode? It's not like exposed to fire->explode sequence is a short sequence.

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Ok peoples.....original question was not about gas laws, combustion, cigarette ash temperature or anything like that. Lets get back on track.

1397.jpg

OP
OP
L

Lucy212

Forum Crew Member
Update:

Hi everyone,

I did a little bit of everything you all advised. I spoke to the EMT himself, I did go to a supervisor and I also asked for advice from other EMTs/Medics at the hospital.

In my conversation with the EMT, he's made it clear that he sees no point in me or anyone else on "his" bus except his partners. He believes my first job should not be at a hospital, I should start off even lower and just do patient transport where vitals/oxygen/or even questioning the patients are not a big part of the job description.

Shortly after that I had almost no choice, so I went to one of the two EMS Supervisors and did not "RAT" him out, but did kindly explain I was not learning much on that tour, and that opportunity for hands on is very minimal more often than not. The Supervisor has given permission to work at other times and even jump on ALS units, so that I can do the EMT things on those calls. He was very open and receptive to my concern.

Thirdly, some of the other crew at the hospital have just advised me to avoid him if I can. One of them has been kind enough to even tell me when this EMT works so that I am able to come in on another night of the week and still do an evening tour.

Everything seems to be working out okay right now. I don't know what, if anything will happen with this guy. Others know he smokes on the bus, all of them know he can be quite demeaning when he wants. I'm even told the Supervisor's know about some of his behaviors.

Thanks again everyone for helping/hearing me out. :D

~ L

medtech421

Forum Probie
Ok peoples.....original question was not about gas laws, combustion, cigarette ash temperature or anything like that. Lets get back on track.

1397.jpg

That seems to happen quite a bit in these forums. Great visual aide!
OP- Glad things are working out for you. Unfortunately, in a field where lives are literally at stake there seems to be many people wanting to attack one another more than educate, support, and guide the new people. Firefighters and police officers are members deep-rooted brotherhoods. They will haze the rookies a little but overall, they want to make sure the young person gains the skills to do the job effectively and efficiently. There are a few people in EMS that will do this for you, but mainly EMS workers eat their young. You will notice in this very forum people will attack one another if one has a differing opinion than another. Patience with the PARAGOD or EMT-MD will take you far. You can learn alot from a dummy. Like how to treat a 3rd rider when you are the senior member on a truck in a few years.

mspazz

Forum Probie
You're part of the service even if your volly. Grab a BP cuff and a steth and go to town on the vitals. If he doesn't like it let him whine and keep doing it. Let him go tell a sup that he is being a power hungry turd and get his own self in trouble for being a douche.