NEMSA for LA Co

DarksideIV

Forum Probie
Im just curios, for those of us working for all those private ambulance companies that don't always treat us so favorably, why do we put up with it? I usually hear how the turnover rate at most of these companies are great either because no one is getting their set schedules, not being allowed to take their appropriate C7's ( if in some cases you are even "allowed"). Why can't we all just look into NEMSA and get something out of our job, afterall we are all just trying to make a living.

JPINFV

Gadfly
1. A large number of EMTs in So. Cal. are looking for a stepping stone, not a living.

2. What's a "C7?"

OP
OP
D

DarksideIV

Forum Probie
Stepping stone or not, we don't deserve to be treated like crap

And C7 is lunch

emtpche

Forum Crew Member
Unions are only as effective as the group in that operations makes.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
I have never been allotted a lunch break at any of my previous EMS employers. We eat when we can, sometimes it's a nice hour long break when the radios are quiet, other times we are stealing saltine crackers from the hospitals to keep our stomachs from imploding in between calls.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
You're exempt employee, you eat when you have time between patients. There are plenyt of emt's ready to take your position so trust me when I tell you the company will have no problem getting replacement same day or next.

JD9940

Forum Probie
I have never been allotted a lunch break at any of my previous EMS employers. We eat when we can, sometimes it's a nice hour long break when the radios are quiet, other times we are stealing saltine crackers from the hospitals to keep our stomachs from imploding in between calls.

You're exempt employee, you eat when you have time between patients. There are plenyt of emt's ready to take your position so trust me when I tell you the company will have no problem getting replacement same day or next.

quoting for truth

pack a lunch if you know you aren't getting cleared to eat. which company do you work for (or if you dont want to say, do you work for a 911 or IFT company?)

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver

Yup. This is true. It's also the same attitude that keeps working conditions and pay crap.

JPINFV

Gadfly
Yup. This is true. It's also the same attitude that keeps working conditions and pay crap.

...but not the fact that insurance companies view EMS as nothing more than a taxi ride and EMTs and paramedics in So. Cal, are a dime a dozen?

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Unless the company is going to pay me full freight for my lunch break, I think I'll keep the current set up. Most days I get payed to eat (at some points during the day) one if not two lunches. Yea, there are some days that we don't have time to eat, but those are few and far between, and I'd prefer to just go a bit hungry then lose money.

Do you really have a patient in the back the entire shift so you can't eat?

Hunter

Forum Asst. Chief
...but not the fact that insurance companies view EMS as nothing more than a taxi ride and EMTs and paramedics in So. Cal, are a dime a dozen?

EMTs and Medics are a dine a dozen in most of the country. As far as the OPs question well...m My company treats us pretty good, for the most part, No union but we do have a group of emplyee's who work with managment to improve conditions and make things fair. As far as lunch breaks go, I've learned to bring my own food, saves me money, and it keeps me from starving whenever we have a real busy day where we may not be able to sit down for lunch.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

Reputable companies have come to the conclusion in nearly every industry that everyone is not created equal, retaining good staff is a priority and they are willing to pay for that security.

Its cheaper in the long run to pay for competent professionals then deal with the mess created by employees who couldnt care less and are soley there to collect a paycheck until something better comes along.

Sure there will be days you dont have time to eat and you should plan accordingly, but seriously is it that difficult to give a crew thirty minutes to eat their supper.

Last edited by a moderator:

jgmedic

Fire Truck Driver

Oh that too. There are multitudes of reasons why we get paid like second class citizens. This thread is just an example of one.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh that too. There are multitudes of reasons why we get paid like second class citizens. This thread is just an example of one.

The biggest one being we accept it.

I'm lucky to work for a service that believes in fair wage and respected treatment of their employees, otherwise I wouldnt be in EMS.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The biggest one being we accept it.

I'm lucky to work for a service that believes in fair wage and respected treatment of their employees, otherwise I wouldnt be in EMS.

It's very simple accept it or do not get hired. In this type of economy more and more people are looking at doing quick career change and ems being not require much of education is one of those places they switch to.