need some education advice

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
Is it best to get my undergrad first and work as a basic or intermediate? Or is it best to become a paramedic first (associate degree) and get my undergraduate degree later. I am currently finishing up Emt-B class and going full time in the fall at the CC as liberal studies major. I plan on hopefully getting hired and working part-time for a local private company and continuing my education. I want to get my undergraduate degree for several reasons, one being in case I throw out my back, I don't want to be unemployed. That's just one reason though.

So what do you think? Is it difficult to get a bachelors while working as a medic? What should I do? I am leaning towards getting my bachelors out of the way and then just taking the medic courses. gimme a couple pennies.

firecoins

IFT Puppet
I would get the associate degree as a medic and continue on to get a BA in biology in case you want to go on in the medical field. biology major sets you up for nurse, PA or MD.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This one seems really clear to me. I'd get a BA or BS before going for the medic. I'd want to get that out of the way, instead of possibly getting distracted by working in EMS and not finishing the BA/BS degree.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
It all depends upon what you really want? How about a B.S. in EMS? If you are considering a future in health care, a B.S. in biology with a minor chem or mathematics can be used later, or if you consider nursing get your B.S.

The other option is to get your A.S. in EMS, and then apply it to a B.S. degree.

Talk to your counselor on to see what will transfer, and potential direction.

R/r 911

OP
OP
G

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
thanks for the replies. I have decided to get my bachelors and then take medic courses, completing stuff like pathophysiology, pharmacology, and cardiology along the way. I'll be going to CC full time this fall, and transferring to USM for the second two years. I wonder if health schools will look down upon CC attendance, in case later in life I decide to attend a professional program such as a school that offers a masters in P.A. I am going to a CC to save cash. Are CC courses really THAT much easier than university level courses? I was at a university for two months and the classes were pretty easy. I hated the school, however and left.

Alexakat

Forum Lieutenant
Glorified,

Universities do not look down on CCs. It is a great way to get your general education requirements out of the way & getting into the swing of studying again, etc. before moving on to your major field of study. Generally, CCs are smaller & more personalized.

Good luck!

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I am in a similar position. I am in the middle of a EMT-B course right now. I have been accepted to Brandeis U (although I am going to defer admission for a year). I hope to work on the on-campus EMT group while in college. I am wondering if any colleges/universities offer Paramedicine as an undergraduate program (not a degree program per se, but elective courses over four years). I am interested in becoming a paramedic while in college-- without taking time off. Do such programs exist? I am taking my basic course at NEU-- but the paramedicine program is a graduate program and is 14-months.

Any ideas?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I know of very few colleges that offer EMT-B or Paramedic courses, but some colleges with an EMT response program have a relationship set up with local community colleges.

I used to go to a large university, drive less than half a mile down the road, and then attend my EMT-B courses at a community college. It worked out great, and I've found that most universities not only accept, but also encourage community college courses over the summer.