Need some advice before starting ride time

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Would you trust someone that looks like ****?
Far less likely to trust them than someone who looks like they are put together. That was my point. The patient might care, and the family is very likely to.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Hey, the patient isn't going to care what your boots look like and that is all that matters. Brahms at Walmart cost 20$ They are cheap and comfy.
Having trouble hearing during a manual bp? Learn how to read a bp by watching the dial, or palpating.
Some more advice...if your medic is happy then everyone is happy. Bring donuts or something, help them check the rig at the beginning of their shift. You could even volunteer to assist them with washing it. They would be more willing to show you all the tricks they know if you're willing to get your hands dirty. I made sure to stay with the same medic during each of my ride outs. My classmates didn't, and they didn't enjoy themselves half as much as I did. Even though he was really hard on me at first, he ended up being a mentor to me and I praise him to this day.

Do not use the bounce on the dial to determine a blood pressure. That's not how it works, I cannot stand when people give that "advice," practice until you can do it the right way.

Also my boots are not polishable but hey it's the mountains. No one expects that, people are happy we can just get to them.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
Hey, the patient isn't going to care what your boots look like and that is all that matters. Brahms at Walmart cost 20$ They are cheap and comfy.
Having trouble hearing during a manual bp? Learn how to read a bp by watching the dial, or palpating.
Some more advice...if your medic is happy then everyone is happy. Bring donuts or something, help them check the rig at the beginning of their shift. You could even volunteer to assist them with washing it. They would be more willing to show you all the tricks they know if you're willing to get your hands dirty. I made sure to stay with the same medic during each of my ride outs. My classmates didn't, and they didn't enjoy themselves half as much as I did. Even though he was really hard on me at first, he ended up being a mentor to me and I praise him to this day.

That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Either you palpate or auscultate, if you can't get a bp using those two methods then ask someone else to get a bp. Never ever rely on needle bounce for a bp.

RefriedEMT

Forum Lieutenant
That is one of my biggest pet peeves. Either you palpate or auscultate, if you can't get a bp using those two methods then ask someone else to get a bp. Never ever rely on needle bounce for a bp.

Yea it is kinda funny how many times people have said this, yet when you put a cuff on someone who is moving even slightly it will cause a bounce in the dial and on top of the bounce it can cause the slightest noise that you can mistake for a beat.

BlueJayMedic

Interrupting natural selection since 2010
I feel as if you start using the bump in the needle while auscultating you will almost hear a sound when there isn't one based on when you expect to hear it on the bounce. It is bad practice to get used to that. Always correlate the systolic to the definite sound of the beat or feeling of the pulse if doing it by palp. Also, don't lie or give your crew a wrong reading because you can't hear it clearly, if you can't hear it tell them you can't hear it and they can help you out with it. No one is going to expect you to be perfect. Ask lots of questions and enjoy it.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I've gotten comments on my own new boots, and seen other new EMT's get comments on their boots. Maybe people in my area just enjoy giving newbies a hard time. Not like it's a big deal - after all it's true that you ARE new. But it's annoying to get called out on it like that.

Conversely, I've never heard of anyone getting comments about their boots looking like garbage (unless they were literally falling apart). Different cultures, I guess.

If I'm your FTO your boots damn well better be polished. This attitude right here is one of many reasons we aren't seen as professionals. Have some pride in your job and look sharp.

My boots get polished once a week, i might let them go two weeks but that's about it.

teedubbyaw

Forum Deputy Chief
If I'm your FTO your boots damn well better be polished. This attitude right here is one of many reasons we aren't seen as professionals. Have some pride in your job and look sharp.

My boots get polished once a week, i might let them go two weeks but that's about it.

You and me could be besties.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I've gotten comments on my own new boots, and seen other new EMT's get comments on their boots. Maybe people in my area just enjoy giving newbies a hard time. Not like it's a big deal - after all it's true that you ARE new. But it's annoying to get called out on it like that.

Conversely, I've never heard of anyone getting comments about their boots looking like garbage (unless they were literally falling apart). Different cultures, I guess.
New people are going to get a touch of flak for being new. New people that attempt to sneak around being new are going to get even more flak. Own it.