Need Reassurance

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
So, I'm only in my 3rd week of my 8 week course studying to be an EMT. I really love it; I mean really. But last night, I had the hardest time with patient assessments that for the first time, I left class feeling like an idiot, and that I might not make it through. We are in teams of three, and we have to make up random scenarios, medical or trauma, the patient gives us a couple details about the scene, and the other two act as the EMTs. After doing this about 6 times (each of us being the patient twice), I am still always forgetting to either ask the patient's name, or I try to do a focused exam on a fake broken leg before I do an initial assessment, or I forget the "P" in SAMPLE history... It was awful. On Saturday, we're doing this all day - 8 hours of practice assessing patients, and now I'm feeling like a freaking idiot. Does it get better the more you do it? I feel like I have to keep looking at my notes a hundred times to not forget what I want to ask, and the other two in my group are having a much easier time than I (although one of them was an EMT before)... I don't know, is it just stage fright, is it just cause it's new? Maybe I just had a bad day... ugh. I'm feeling very crappy about it. <_<

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Practice makes perfect. My class I am teaching received the "wrath" as well for not knowing it by now. Again, how much practicing are you doing in between classes? Practice makes perfect. Rehearse in your head, practice on loved ones, stuffed toys, etc.. PRACTICE!

R/r 911

OP
OP
abriggs

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
You're totally right, I need to practice; I like the idea of practicing on a stuffed animal or something. I need to spend some time just practicing, and not studying the book so much which is what I spend most of my "study" time doing. Also, I have a full time office job, and had to travel via Amtrak yesterday to a client meeting (from NJ to Baltimore), my train hit a deer, I got delayed 3 hours in the dark, I think it may have just been a REALLY poop day in general. I needed a little encouragement - thank you!!!

Sasha

Forum Chief
Practice practice practice. Dont just leave assessments for class. Asses the dude you are standing at the bus stop with, assess your dog (done it) family memeber, friend, or pillow. Yes, my pillow was a very good unresponsive patient many many times. As did all of my family members lay down at least twice and got the sternal rub at least once! They have all had some kind of medical problem. Its great if you can pair up with a classmate, use a family member as a patient and have your classmate make up the scenario and switch. Ive given my grandpa ectopic pregnancies and ovarian cysts. He was quite the trooper. Also, dogs make great squirmy children.

Also remember no one was born with the knowledge on how to be an EMT. Everyone had to learn it somehow, so even if you are feeling like the stupidest kid in class, chances are everyone else is on the same level as you.

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Practice practice practice. Dont just leave assessments for class. Asses the dude you are standing at the bus stop with, assess your dog (done it) family memeber, friend, or pillow. Yes, my pillow was a very good unresponsive patient many many times. As did all of my family members lay down at least twice and got the sternal rub at least once! They have all had some kind of medical problem. Its great if you can pair up with a classmate, use a family member as a patient and have your classmate make up the scenario and switch. Ive given my grandpa ectopic pregnancies and ovarian cysts. He was quite the trooper. Also, dogs make great squirmy children.

Also remember no one was born with the knowledge on how to be an EMT. Everyone had to learn it somehow, so even if you are feeling like the stupidest kid in class, chances are everyone else is on the same level as you.

What she said.
Plus, have you tried making flashcards? Sometimes the act of writing down what you need to memorize in small bits cements it into your brain. And helps the innocent bystanders you rope into helping you practice figure out when you are messing up.
I'm fairly sure my husband could assess my dogs medically just from proctoring me through it literally hundreds of times.

PRP Firefighter

Forum Ride Along
I also had a hard time. I went home and spent many hours with my wife as she made a good Pt. It also improved our marriage along the way. Give it time and it will get better.:p

OP
OP
abriggs

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everyone. I was feeling kind of discouraged, and it looks like I just need to spend more time outside the classroom around the house practicing. My cats look like they could use a rapid trauma exam right now in fact!!!

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
Thanks everyone. I was feeling kind of discouraged, and it looks like I just need to spend more time outside the classroom around the house practicing. My cats look like they could use a rapid trauma exam right now in fact!!!

Gently!
Or you will need a rapid trauma exam!

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant

If you have cats like mine, they will turn out to be the combative type!!!! I could be treating myself after the fact :blink:

I understand your dilemma though. Pt assessments are my weak point. I've got the book knowledge down, but putting it into action is a killer. Looks like the normal Tuesday night study time will be going toward assessment practice....

OP
OP
abriggs

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
If you have cats like mine, they will turn out to be the combative type!!!! I could be treating myself after the fact :blink:

I understand your dilemma though. Pt assessments are my weak point. I've got the book knowledge down, but putting it into action is a killer. Looks like the normal Tuesday night study time will be going toward assessment practice....

LOL! You're so right. I was explaining the sternum and rib cage to Tito though... he thought it was play time and started rolling around. I'm guessing a regular patient wouldn't do the same?! hahaha!

I feel a lot better. It's just hard when there is no real injury, and the scenario isn't thought out completely. It's a lot of stopping and starting, and the others are just STARING at you. ack. It's like stagefright or something. :blink: I think I'll get over it. It's just nervewracking at first, especially when you don't have any experience at all. Some of the others in my class have been volunteers before, etc. and I work in a beige cubicle all day... My whole house is getting checked out tonight. That's all there is to it. I'm starting to get psyched up now.:lol:

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
The hardest part about my class is that you're told to sit down the first time you miss something/make a mistake on the assessment. Then the next student comes up and does the same thing until they mess it up. It's "comedy gold" until you're the one in the hot seat.

I'm thinking of going down to Wal-Mart and buying some white pajamas and a permanent marker, then writing out the entire assessment on the PJs and having my wife wear them. That way I get to assess a real person and I have my "notes" right there for reference. Thoughts? Ideas? Feelings?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Why not get small sticky notes and write injuries or assessment notes (pale skin, fxr) so you can move them around. If you don't find, you did not assess.

R/r 911

apagea99

Forum Lieutenant
Why not get small sticky notes and write injuries or assessment notes (pale skin, fxr) so you can move them around. If you don't find, you did not assess.

R/r 911

I may mix the 2 then. The PJs for the things that will not change, then add the notes for random findings/events. I can let my pt pick some things to add to the sticky notes and place them without me watching.

OP
OP
abriggs

abriggs

Forum Crew Member
:p You guys were totally right. I had class last night, and it went much much better. The practicing REALLY helped!!! Thanks for all of your support, this forum is really awesome!:D:D:D