NEED help using the KED

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I have to disagree with one thing...this is a discussion. not a "cat fight."

Now there's a point we can agree on Mandy!

When two women disagree, gotta be a 'Cat fight'?? Sounds like someone needs to review their 'sensitivity training':p

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah...no kiddin'. *Shakes Bossycow's hand*

nodirt

Forum Ride Along
Constructive criticism: Make sure you pad female's chests upon application of a KED :wacko: kinda made me hurt watching it...

Hey Mandy,
I see where you are coming from; but, thinking of all of those glorious things we have been taught, "life over limb, seconds matter, etc, etc." Applying a K.E.D. takes long enough, if my pt. is in that bad of shape, I'm not going to waste more valuable time to pad her already padded chest. 2 min. from a short board to a long board; she will be O.K.! :)

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Hey Mandy,
I see where you are coming from; but, thinking of all of those glorious things we have been taught, "life over limb, seconds matter, etc, etc." Applying a K.E.D. takes long enough, if my pt. is in that bad of shape, I'm not going to waste more valuable time to pad her already padded chest. 2 min. from a short board to a long board; she will be O.K.! :)

But you see, a KED is for a "STABLE patient in a seated position..." so if your patient is in such bad shape that you can't take .01 seconds to throw a towel over her chest, then you shouldn't consider KED in the first place.

p.s. the patient remains in the KED on the long board anyway, so it remains in place until X-rays are taken. Which means one can not always accurately predict the time they will be left in it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Personally I may loosen and open the KED chest portion of the device after placement upon the LSB if there is any suspected chest injuries. Remember it is an extrication device only. Chances are no matter whom or what you are, your shirt will be removed to examine the chest wall and auscultation to be performed. (that is on really suspected trauma).

For as leaving them on. That is a local issue. Most of our Doc's have been instructed to have the patient off the LSB and KED removed within the first few minutes after entering the room. If there is suspected real injuries, then after x-ray, but usually a clinical clearance is made and off they come.

Okay this is step by step direction as per DC/EMS as supposedly taken per the NHTSA recommendation.

R/r 911
http://fems.dc.gov/fems/lib/fems/J13.pdf

piranah

Forum Captain
we are taught to remove the KED or at least take the straps off....because it is just that an EXTRICATION DEVICE......but local protocols vary so whats correct for me isnt correct for someone else....^_^ cant we all just get along lol..jk:p

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
MY BABY LOOKS HOT TONIGHT

Mid strap
Bottom strap
Leg straps
Head

I always get confused with the last part. Because Im so used to thinking head strapped to the backboard last. But with ked its diffrent. =[ confuses me.