NEED help using the KED

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Heres a link to the videos that i have for the practical exam now they are give you an idea of what to expect and to help prepare. for the exam.

please only constructive criticism. please dont pick these videos apart, because they've been picked apart already. i hope these videos help you, as they have help a lot of people already.

thank you and enjoy.

http://youtube.com/profile?user=milhouse5432

there is a KED video in there also.

Constructive criticism: Make sure you pad female's chests upon application of a KED :wacko: kinda made me hurt watching it...

emtwacker710

Forum Captain
they way I was taught, and did it on my practical (and passed), was head stabilization, c-collar, put the KED behind the pt. secure the 3 torso straps, then the legs, then tighten everything up, then secure the head and backboard or do whatever your situation requires from there

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
Constructive criticism: Make sure you pad female's chests upon application of a KED :wacko: kinda made me hurt watching it...

Have you had one put on yet? The best way to know how to do a KED is to have someone put one on you. The perspective you gain about what the KED actually does and how it fits will be sooo helpful. And by the way, I've had one on, and felt no discomfort in 'the girls'.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Have you had one put on yet? The best way to know how to do a KED is to have someone put one on you. The perspective you gain about what the KED actually does and how it fits will be sooo helpful. And by the way, I've had one on, and felt no discomfort in 'the girls'.

Yeah as the matter of fact, I've had one on 5+ times in my life. I found it to be uncomfortable even with the padding, particularly in the axillary region (s). It may be a factor of body shape or pain threshold, I don't know. But in any case, I'd say it's only polite to pad those "areas."

Last edited by a moderator:

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
...Reading back on it, I don't think you were questioning if I had ever had one on? Moment of confusion, Sorry. My statement still stands though.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I did mean to ask if you had ever had one applied to yourself. My concern with the idea of padding is that padding is extra material and it shifts. One of the big things we learn/teach in wilderness medicine is the importance of having bracing, splinting and bandaging secure. Maybe I carry enough of my own 'padding' in that area, but I would be hesitant to put anything between the patient's torso and the KED. It's supposed to be snug not comfy. In our system, we only use the KED as an extrication device and the pt is then secured to a full backboard. For the short period of time spent in the KED, the discomfort is minimal.

piranah

Forum Captain
well i know being a man and have been put in a KED many times...it is extremely painfull especially when the students who are putting it on you forget to undo the pelvic straps when they lay you on the board.........lets just say i let them know very quikly.:wacko:......:pdon't worry im ok...lol

MercyEMT2701

Forum Ride Along
My Baby Looks Hot Tonight
Middle
Bottom
Legs
Head
Top (chest) So Breathing Is Not Compromised During The Process

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
I did mean to ask if you had ever had one applied to yourself. My concern with the idea of padding is that padding is extra material and it shifts. One of the big things we learn/teach in wilderness medicine is the importance of having bracing, splinting and bandaging secure. Maybe I carry enough of my own 'padding' in that area, but I would be hesitant to put anything between the patient's torso and the KED. It's supposed to be snug not comfy. In our system, we only use the KED as an extrication device and the pt is then secured to a full backboard. For the short period of time spent in the KED, the discomfort is minimal.

But the thing is, as long as you position it correctly initally, (snug enough under the arms) and tighten it down adequately there is No shifting whatsoever. 10X more comfortable too.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Once again, posting without reading the whole thread...

KED is a great tool, and extremely under utilized. Has anyone mentioned using it upside down for stabilizing an unstable pelvis? Works beautifully!

If it wasn't mentioned, just carefully lift your pt by their waistband or whatever item of clothing (mu-mu, or nightgown) enough to slide the KED underneath and into position, making sure that it is upside down. Then strap it snugly around the pelvis, and that will stabilize your pt for transport on a clamshell nicely.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Wow ! 5 pages of post on the discussion of how to apply a device to remove someone out of a car.... Amazing, it is all the same thing repeated.

R/r 911

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
well, it just isn't an interesting enough thread to read through. I went back to see if anyone else noted the usage for pelvic #s and found NoDirt posted it on p.4.

Ok, anyone who lives in the mountains or the northern states may find it useful to know that it can also be used as a decent crazy-carpet in a pinch. I'll bet noone thought of that.

skyemt

Forum Captain
ok, emt's out there...

you arrive to the scene of the MVA... the pt is sitting in the passenger side of the Police car... he walked over to them after the accident... he is shaken up, but says he feels fine...

you send someone to check the inside of the vehicle, and note that the rearview mirror has been dislodged...

you ask the patient if he was wearing his seatbelt, and he says he "can't remember"... you ask what happened to the rearview mirror, and he can't tell you. you palpate his neck and back, no complaints of pain, but you do notice a bump developing on the right anterior part of his scalp.

PD says he looked stunned, but walked over to their car with no problem.

KED, or not KED???

piranah

Forum Captain
well...i would say that since he hit his head he must have not been restrained and he could have neck/back injury....now he doesnt complain of any pain but he also has some type of altered LOC from the head injury so you cant trust that he says he has no pain....i would further inspect/palpate his spine and KED him....it wouldnt hurt to do it....but it might if you dont....

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
Well, it is a significant MOI, so immobilization is "required". The additional deficits only enforce that rule.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Wow ! 5 pages of post on the discussion of how to apply a device to remove someone out of a car.... Amazing, it is all the same thing repeated.

R/r 911

It's not our fault someone laced a Dinosaur thread with Training Videos...Frankly I don't think a lot of people would want to read the last 4 pages of fun...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
But the thing is, as long as you position it correctly initally, (snug enough under the arms) and tighten it down adequately there is No shifting whatsoever. 10X more comfortable too.

Sorry, I'm not going to add in any extra padding for comfort. The KED is only in place for a short time, and any discomfort is minor. I am what used to be known as 'buxom' and have never had an issue with pain resulting from a KED properly applied. The device is designed to immobilize a patient, backboards aren't too comfy either but they do perform the task for which they were designed.

I'm not going to be the one on the stand explaining to the attorney why I took it upon myself to change the operation of the device. Seriously, you can't be sure that the padding won't shift while you are 'tightening it adequately' If a KED, properly applied doesn't cause my chest pain, I can't imagine it being so painful as to require a change of protocols from normal application for anyone.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
Sorry, I'm not going to add in any extra padding for comfort. The KED is only in place for a short time, and any discomfort is minor. I am what used to be known as 'buxom' and have never had an issue with pain resulting from a KED properly applied. The device is designed to immobilize a patient, backboards aren't too comfy either but they do perform the task for which they were designed.

I'm not going to be the one on the stand explaining to the attorney why I took it upon myself to change the operation of the device. Seriously, you can't be sure that the padding won't shift while you are 'tightening it adequately' If a KED, properly applied doesn't cause my chest pain, I can't imagine it being so painful as to require a change of protocols from normal application for anyone.

well first of all, litigation would be the last thing on my mind when i was trying to make my patient more comfortable and second, one would think if the extra material raised the odds of further injury So much, there would be a lot more cutting of preexisting clothing going on out there in the field before the application of a KED. And yes, the patients are only in them for a short time IN THE AMBULANCE but ER waits can last hours... for bonier people like myself that would be terrible as it is.

Last edited by a moderator:

MedicSqrl

Forum Crew Member
This is turning into a cat fight. Many times a simple question has turned in to protocol showdown. Just agree that you have different ways of doing it. Believe it or not there are more than one right answer. Yes, padding in a KED, its not going to decrease functionality if you are applying it right or there would be alot for trauma nekkid people. Don't assume your own body type is just like everyone else. Any unnecessary pain is just that..unnecessary. Patient comfort believe it or not is apart of patient care. I know some place don't seem to teach that anymore.

EMTMandy

Forum Lieutenant
I have to disagree with one thing...this is a discussion. not a "cat fight."