Need help...really bad!!!

RHEMT406

Forum Crew Member
So I had went on a call recently which involved an intoxicated 17 year old male at a park. I have not been an EMT for more than a year (was licensed just out of high school in fact) so I very vaguely knew my patient who was an underclassman (and still in high school at this time). I never really hung out, nor talked with him because he fells primarily into the group that doesn't do to well in high school, and certainly like to drink a certain beverage on the weekends.

The whole incident began like this: I had received a phone call from friend telling me there was some kid passed out at the park, which I lived just a couple blocks away from. So I asked the standard questions: Is he breathing? Does he have a pulse? Why did he pass out? The answers to those questions were: "Yes", "Yes", and "He's drunk and on something, and was trying to hit people."

So I had called dispatch to meet me there with an ambulance and an officer. The mistake that I had made was that I went ahead and started to go check on him before others arrived. The friends that were there had helped me sit him down so we could start asking him some questions. He was blatantly intoxicated, had smelled like a marijuana field, and told me he had taken crystal, which was sort of evident from the track marks up and down his arms.

I did not start medical intervention because of consent issues. Well he passed out, vomited, and started seizing. My first thought was to at least log roll him, seeing as how I had absolutely no medical equipment with me, and my jump bag was in the car. Suddenly he stops seizing, gets up and tries to walk home. We had him sit down again and told him to just sit there for a few. At this point, he didn't want to fight me, and actually acted as my friend. He begged us not to call it in, but he didn't tell him PD and EMS was already en route.

Everything changed within a second. He started to become highly belligerent and began fighting one of the kids there. I pulled them off and told the group to go away, and I walked back up to my car and sat there for a moment waiting until PD arrived. Because at this point, I was now in actual danger. After I had gave them an update of the situation, I started to go back down, and kept my distance. However, he could hear the sirens, and began jumping on my back and striking me. All I did to him was grab his fists, and pull them around me so he could no longer hit.

Once the officer arrived, he let go and gave up, in which they took him into custody. Medical arrived shortly thereafter, and I went ahead and told them what I had observed. They needed parental consent to look at him so they took him to the police station to wait. The officers had cleared me of any wrong doing, and more or less told me to call if I wanted to press charges.

Well here is the problem I am now having. He remembers my face, remembers who I am, and now wants revenge. He is actually looking for me and asking others about me to find me and cause harm. So what do I do? He's really not capable of doing much to my person, but I am most afraid for my car or my house. Should I contact the officer who was on duty, or let it go? This is where I need the guidance.

AtlasFlyer

Forum Captain
I would document things said, being as specific as possible. Include names of people he's contacted asking about you, specific threats made/things said and then go to the officer with that information.

How credible a threat do you think it to be? Just a moron pissed off because he got in trouble? Or is he a disturbed individual who is capable of causing real harm/damage?

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?
File a police report and get a restraining order. Like others have said do you think that he is capable of doing some real harm? Do you fear for your life or property? Or is he just some idiot who wants to scare the living daylights out of you? Also just saying a 12 gauge at close range can do some damage or a 45 tucked in the nightstand can be easily accessible also... just saying :)

OP
OP
R

RHEMT406

Forum Crew Member
Well, I really don't fear to much for my person, but more so my property. I guess I will talk with the officer that handled the case.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd contact the officer and explain what's going on. Even if all the officer has is your word, if stuff does start happening, then there will be a trail back to this guy.

Restraining orders are just pieces of paper that are only useful after someone decides to violate it, but provide LE with options against this person.

Also, this is why I don't answer my phone...

mike1390

Forum Captain
Can't give legal advise here, call a lawyer. Hope the admins will lock this up, sounds like everyone in this situation needs to grow up.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
This isn't asking for legal advice... Yet.

The moderators are watching this thread.

Wes

Forum Lieutenant
We've all been there and done that with being contacted by friends, family, or virtually anyone who knows that you're an EMT or paramedic.

What comes with age, maturity, judgment, and making bad decisions previously is knowing when it's "safe" (in a variety of aspects) to respond on your own or to tell someone to "hang up and call 911."

My general rule of thumb is that I'd personally respond for immediate family and close, personal friends. Anyone else gets told, "If you're calling me because I'm a paramedic, you should probably hang up and call 911 for an ambulance."

PaddyWagon

Forum Crew Member
Start the paper trail with the police, document every interaction. Someone with erratic behavior and recent track marks cannot be trusted to be rational. Not only for you, but it sets a really bad precedent when EMS gives the purposefully thought out threats of the violent a free ride. Yeah, I'm a bit of a hardass on that.

OP
OP
R

RHEMT406

Forum Crew Member
Can't give legal advise here, call a lawyer. Hope the admins will lock this up, sounds like everyone in this situation needs to grow up.

Well, I don't really need legal advice. What I do need to know is whether or not it is even worth it to contact the police. I guess ultimately, has anyone ever had a patient threaten them? Were you legitimately concerned, or did you just shrug it off?

OP
OP
R

RHEMT406

Forum Crew Member
This isn't a legal situation. The situation is whether or not I should legitimately be concerned. It would be nice to hear from a veteran who has experienced this before to see if they actually took the threat to heart, or if it is just big talk.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
The situation is whether or not I should legitimately be concerned.

Only you can decide that. Us faceless users on a message board cannot. If you really are worried about it, you may want to consider what was written before. The fact that you would like to hear from someone that's been through this is irrelevant because each situation is different.

Only you can decide what is, or isn't, "worth it"

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
This isn't a legal situation. The situation is whether or not I should legitimately be concerned. It would be nice to hear from a veteran who has experienced this before to see if they actually took the threat to heart, or if it is just big talk.

Usually it is just talk. Usually. That being said, my patients, loved ones, and enemies can always find out who I am by either reading my name on my uniform or on my badge. In the entire Miss Delta there is only one Hester in EMS. And that'd be me. And if their intelligence quotient is that of a single-celled amoeba, I will help them out even further in knowing who I am. I look them in the eye, shake their hand, and introduce myself to them. "My name is Mike Hester. How can I help you?"

Let it go. He's a 17yo drug head. They're not known for thinking or planning. Figuring out a plan and following through with takes a whole lot of effort. Effort that coukd be better used to score more drugs and booze. Which means that if they're talking about getting even that is generally all they're doing... talking.

You're going to make enemies in this field. I think that if he really wanted to get even with you he would have already.

Welcome to EMS.

OP
OP
R

RHEMT406

Forum Crew Member
Usually it is just talk. Usually. That being said, my patients, loved ones, and enemies can always find out who I am by either reading my name on my uniform or on my badge. In the entire Miss Delta there is only one Hester in EMS. And that'd be me. And if their intelligence quotient is that of a single-celled amoeba, I will help them out even further in knowing who I am. I look them in the eye, shake their hand, and introduce myself to them. "My name is Mike Hester. How can I help you?"

Let it go. He's a 17yo drug head. They're not known for thinking or planning. Figuring out a plan and following through with takes a whole lot of effort. Effort that coukd be better used to score more drugs and booze. Which means that if they're talking about getting even that is generally all they're doing... talking.

You're going to make enemies in this field. I think that if he really wanted to get even with you he would have already.

Welcome to EMS.

This was what I needed. Thanks.

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
Number one rule, Scene Safety. Lesson learned. An EMT card don't make you an EMT but truck time and lessons like this do. :cool: Protect your ***.