Need Basic EMT Book

william94501

Forum Ride Along
Hey I'm interested in becoming an EMT and maybe a paramedic one one day. Currently my situation won't allow me to take an EMT class at this time. I wanna get a textbook that teaches you of what they would teach in an EMT class. Any recommendations?

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
A library usually will have one you can check out. There is no reason to purchase one unless you are in a class. Most classes changes books every year or so. As well, unless you do the skills associated with the course there is not much content in the EMT curriculum.

R/r 911

Blacke00

Forum Lieutenant
If you're intent on buying one, here's the book my class uses...I think it's the latest Brady book, but don't quote me on that =)

ISBN# 9780131192652

Companion Website

Can be found all over the internet, but be prepared to pay $60+ for used, $70+ for new...

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'd recommend checking out the local agencies that would be hiring you in the future. Asking to borrow a book in preparation for a future class will put your name and face in their memory when you are applying there for a job later. Most of them have extra copies on hand.

AbsoluteZzZero

Forum Crew Member
I have both the Brady text book and Emergency Care and Transport. I got the Brady one for studying on my own, and the Emergency Care from my class. After reading both of them, Emergency Care and Transport is by FAR the better of the two. The Brady book is basically a mini summary compared to Emergency Care and Transport..

Definitely go for Emergency Care and Transport if you decide to buy a book.

emt 92591

Forum Probie
I have both the Brady text book and Emergency Care and Transport. I got the Brady one for studying on my own, and the Emergency Care from my class. After reading both of them, Emergency Care and Transport is by FAR the better of the two. The Brady book is basically a mini summary compared to Emergency Care and Transport..

Definitely go for Emergency Care and Transport if you decide to buy a book.

I Agree,If You Wanna Get It Cheap Go Paperback.
I Bought Mine Through Amazon

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
There all the same. I have taught with all of them. They are all written based upon NHTSA curriculum and objectives. Some may present the material better according to the person reading it. Some may like the illustrations or the graphic pictures, or technical or simplistic wording.

What most do not even realize most are published by two major publishers. Again, all have to follow a similar format.

R/ 911

AbsoluteZzZero

Forum Crew Member
There all the same. I have taught with all of them. They are all written based upon NHTSA curriculum and objectives. Some may present the material better according to the person reading it. Some may like the illustrations or the graphic pictures, or technical or simplistic wording.

What most do not even realize most are published by two major publishers. Again, all have to follow a similar format.

R/ 911

I found that the Mosby book didnt have nearly the amount of info the Emergency Care book had. After reading just the Mosby book I tried doing the quizes on emtb.com and it made me realize just how little info is in that book.. Or maybe the Emergency Care just has so much MORE info..

I look at it like this. If I read the Emergency Care book and absorbed just 50% of the info I would still know twice as much info than if I read the Mosby book and absorbed ALL the info.

Thats my $0.02 at least...