Need Advice Please

Scott359

Forum Ride Along
I am very close to giving up. I have a Master's Degree in Health Promotion and a BS in Exercise Science--basically worthless degrees. This means I've had A&P I and II and a plethora of other classes. Despite this I've never made more than $25,000 a year with a child to support. I know, it's pathetic; you don't have to tell me (my ex does all the time). I've applied to THOUSANDS (NOT an exaggeration) of jobs, but there are not many in fitness unless you want to be a personal trainer (did that...don't get me started...). I wish my college advisor would've shared that with me.

I've decided I might really be happy as a paramedic. I was going to go through a program at the community college for EMT-I or paramedic. I know, thousands of student loans for nothing, and I'm going back again. Then I did some research and can't find entry jobs anywhere! They all require years of experience. The local city EMS will pay for it if I volunteer for 2 years. Great, how about I work for free for 30 years? I didn't need the stinkin' money anyway as I'm living out of a dumpster with my Master's Degree in hand. I also read a whole bunch of posts about how so many seem to dislike this profession (long hours, little pay, little advancement). Should I even bother? I just want to help people and earn an honest day's living. Apparently that's too much to ask. If anyone has anything intelligent to say, I would honestly be unspeakably grateful.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Nobody can tell you whether you should or shouldn't, it's a decision you'll have to make for yourself. The fact is, the money usually isn't great. The hours usually suck. There's a high level of burnout. However, many of us still do it and still love it.

as for finding that lucrative job, depending on where you live, you may find an agency that pays what you consider liveable... or you may have to move. It all depends on what you want out of a career in EMS.
However, I don't know if I would put all my eggs in one basket, not having any experience in EMS. Before you decide to take on more student loans and another college program, maybe you should volunteer for a bit with an EMS agency to see if it's something you actually like.

But again, nobody can make the decision for you. And an honest days work for an honest days pay doesn't have to be in EMS … You could always be a construction worker, truck driver, garbage man… Anything you want to be.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Another option you might want to consider, since you have a strong science background, is a direct entry BSN or MSN program. I believe they're no more than two years, and you get RN licensure (with which you can challenge NREMT-P), plus you get licensed as a NP or other sort of APRN.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Ditto with EpiEMS.

Commonsavage

Forum Crew Member
If you're looking for appropriate financial compensation and security, especially with a family/child and student loans to support, EMS is NOT the place to be...generally, unless you hook up with FD or some other government based service. An associates in nursing would probably serve you better, which can be advanced to a BS RN. If you really want to be in prehospital EMS, you can alway pick up an EMT cert and come play with us.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Agreed, ^^. You are not likely to find a system that values your education (MS). at least in initial hiring (you are likely working alongside high school grads, even as a Paramedic), and I fear some companies will see it as a liability (not sure I understand why...). You're not likely to be making much more money (~$30-40k), and that's once you're fully trained and credentialed (possibly 2 years down the road).

You didn't indicate what part of the country you're from... if you let us know, we can give some insight into paramedic programs, whether companies are hiring and payscales.

I wish you the best, let us know whether we can answer any other questions

Veneficus

Forum Chief
OK, somebody has to point this out.

Might as well be me...

As others have said, a nursing degree might be a better solution for you. Not only for the pay, but work environment.

The really desirable EMS agencies are filled with "work hard, play hard" people.

For lack of a better term, they are looking not only for career minded people, but people who want to be great.

In order to get one of these jobs, you will be competing with people who spend most of their time with their chosen occupation.

If you don't want one of these jobs, you may be in for a real shock.

Many EMS jobs are actually IFT jobs. (inter-facility transport)
It is basically truck driving at it's finest. With profit and performance measured by loads hauled.

Many people find this exceptionally tedious work when they thought they were going to be saving lives. (which is almost never even when working for a 911 service)

IFT companies are notiously bad places to work. A majority of them care only about raping medicare for all they can. The working conditions are bad, you will be asked to use "special words" when writing your reports which may compromise your integrety, find yourself out of a job if you don't, and the pay leaves a lot to be desired. (like a livable wage) Benefits and retirement in these companies are almost unheard of, and when they do exist, are rather minimal.

Almost everyone I know that works for an IFT only company lives pay cheque to pay cheque. Which is a serious problem if you get sick or hurt. Which has a high probability.

In my entire time working in some form of EMS, I have only ever once worked 1 job. But I put in insane amounts of overtime at it because it was available. Otherwise I had no less than 2 and sometimes 3 jobs to meet the local cost of living in a lower class area without a family.

If you are looking for a "normal" job, this is the wrong place. You are better off working as a full-time McDonalds manager in many cases.

EMS is not the ticket to a life of altruism and adventure.

(making lunch is helping people too, because the coffee barristas and the cafeteria people are responsible for my very soul and the lives of all the people I interact with)

EMS is easy to get in to, but hard to make it through.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Another thing to consider- becoming a physical therapist. I am sure you have all the pre-reqs. The PTs I know all live nice lives with comfortable incomes.

systemet

Forum Asst. Chief
Another perspective : The job opportunities and pay vary greatly by location, as do career prospects. Whether it's "worth it" financially probably depends on where you're currently living and if you're able / willing to move to another region -- which might not be possible in your case.

If money is the only thing that's important, have you considered becoming a skilled tradesperson? There's some pretty amazing money in being a welder or pipefitter in some places.

Nursing is also typically better compensated than EMS, with more career options. You may find it would be quicker to become a BScN if you enter an accelerated program than a paramedic.

Pharmacy is also a good option.

I would advise against doing EMS just for the money. It has a very high burnout rate, and a very unique set of negatives. If you're thinking about investing time and money in doing this, I'd suggest doing a ridealong with one of your local services, and talking to as many of the long-timers as possible.

Last edited by a moderator:

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
The problem with being a PT is that they're moving to the DPT for licensure, as far as I know. That's 3 years. Plus, PT starting salaries are substantially lower than NP and PA salaries.

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
so true

Many EMS jobs are actually IFT jobs. (inter-facility transport)
It is basically truck driving at it's finest. With profit and performance measured by loads hauled.

Many people find this exceptionally tedious work when they thought they were going to be saving lives. (which is almost never even when working for a 911 service)

IFT companies are notiously bad places to work. A majority of them care only about raping medicare for all they can. The working conditions are bad, you will be asked to use "special words" when writing your reports which may compromise your integrety, find yourself out of a job if you don't, and the pay leaves a lot to be desired. (like a livable wage) Benefits and retirement in these companies are almost unheard of, and when they do exist, are rather minimal.

Almost everyone I know that works for an IFT only company lives pay cheque to pay cheque. Which is a serious problem if you get sick or hurt. Which has a high probability.

EMS is easy to get in to, but hard to make it through.

that that is so true! I work for an IFT and its all of the above. I've been here for 3 months and am considering nursing (I have a bachelors already) or PA program.

Good luck!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
that that is so true! I work for an IFT and its all of the above. I've been here for 3 months and am considering nursing (I have a bachelors already) or PA program.

Good luck!

In comparing direct entry nursing, including NP programs, as opposed to PA
programs, I can't help but feel that you get better prepared folks in the PA programs —:censored:more science-y background, and such. Agreed?

cynikalkat

Forum Lieutenant
In comparing direct entry nursing, including NP programs, as opposed to PA
programs, I can't help but feel that you get better prepared folks in the PA programs —:censored:more science-y background, and such. Agreed?

Not really sure yet. I've just started the researching part. But, I think so. There's so much science required for PA!

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Not really sure yet. I've just started the researching part. But, I think so. There's so much science required for PA!

Yeah, PA schools seem to require as much or more science than MD/DO programs, though they are half the length.