Need a new stethoscope

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
Hey does anyone have any suggestions on a new stethoscope? The one my school gave me just doesn't cut it in the back of a load ambulance.
Thanks

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
That megathread has a LOT of information about stethoscopes. That, and most of us have some strong opinions about what works. Me? I can do the job with a $4 scope, but I really love my higher end scopes for what they can do. And more expensive doesn't always mean better. Read the megathread and work on training your ears to hear the sounds that need to be heard. Once you know what those sounds are, you'll be amazed how well you can pick 'em out from background noise.

OP
OP
FeatherWeight

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
Yeah absolutely, another thing is the friction noise makes it hard to differentiate which is actually the pulse or the friction from the stethoscope but like you said I'm sure its a lot easier with a trained ear. Thanks guys for the advice, I'll definitely be checking out the megathread.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I can't recommend an ultrascope enough. I love love love mine.

The main advantage is they're so unique and personalizable that no one will be able to say its theirs if they find it.

The acoustics are amazing. The head is comfortable in my hand. It's light. Even the ear tips are super comfortable.

Mine was a gift from a partner, they're pretty affordable at $120 for the super customized or you can find the generics online for like $80.

Farmer2DO

Forum Captain
It may take you some time to decide what you really like.

For me, I'll never own anything but a Littmann. My first one got run over by a snowplow; I used it for another 2 years. I think the Master Classic is a good mix between quality and reasonable price, and I prefer the single sided bell. Look around; you don't need to spend a lot of money to get a really good quality product that fits you well.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Cheap one till you know what to do with it then a slightly less cheap one.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I routinely swap between using a Sprague Rappaport (the cheap dual tubed ones on every ambulance), an Ultrascope, and a Master Classic. Most of the time, the sprague is fine for BPs. If I want to listen to lung or heart sounds, I pull out one of the other scopes, and if I want to take a BP through clothing, its the Ultrascope all the way. If you can get on skin contact, the master classic is going to give the best sound, IMO.

crispymedic

Forum Probie
Hey does anyone have any suggestions on a new stethoscope?...
When I was in medic school (long, long ago) I couldn't tell the difference between wheezing and rales. I totally sucked at breath sound auscultation. Then I tried a fancy pair of ears. What a difference!

I purchased a Littmann Cardiology III (w/ short, 22") binaurals. That same pair of ears has been with me all this time. Still works great and I am damn near deaf.

Yes the shorty 'scope means you have to get closer to icky, stinky patients but you can hear stuff better. Plus, Littmann is good sh..

Respectfully,
crispymedic

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I routinely swap between using a Sprague Rappaport (the cheap dual tubed ones on every ambulance), an Ultrascope, and a Master Classic. Most of the time, the sprague is fine for BPs. If I want to listen to lung or heart sounds, I pull out one of the other scopes, and if I want to take a BP through clothing, its the Ultrascope all the way. If you can get on skin contact, the master classic is going to give the best sound, IMO.

I love my ultrascope but regularly catch flack from Ed staff on "how goofy it looks".

MRSA

Forum Crew Member
Personally I'm a huge fan of Litmann! They sound pretty damn good and get the job done. Last one I borrowed from a RN to use and it sounded like I could hear the gunk in the alveoli! It was pretty intense :p

Plus with Litmann much the same as that ultrasound steth not many people have those/willing to fork out for them so it's not easily lost. I'll be getting one that's engraved actually! Maybe in Silver or something too, or maybe Blue so that it can't be confused for a doctors. They have engraving on the tube itself AND the head of the steth!

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Plus with Litmann much the same as that ultrasound steth not many people have those/willing to fork out for them so it's not easily lost. I'll be getting one that's engraved actually! Maybe in Silver or something too, or maybe Blue so that it can't be confused for a doctors. They have engraving on the tube itself AND the head of the steth!
Actually, quite the opposite. Littmans are by far the most common stethoscope used (at least around here), and may as well have feet of their own for how often they walk off. But that's any stethoscope. Be responsible with it and you'll keep it for years. My littman is either in my ears, on my neck, or inside my bag. Never anywhere else.

Sasha

Forum Chief
I love my ultrascope but regularly catch flack from Ed staff on "how goofy it looks".

I get compliments on it every day. People love it.