Need a back safety tip.

airlonnie

Forum Ride Along
Hi, I just got my first job as an EMT, so I'm pretty noob. We do a lot of boring dialysis transport :(.

I constantly have patients that are on a bed that require lateral loading. This side to side loading kinda strains my lower back. It doesn't really hurt, but I can feel it working and I put a lot of pressure on it I think.

So this is how it goes.
Patient is on bed.

We put the stretcher next to the bed.

Im on the side of the bed closest to the patient. My partner is on the other side of the stretcher(reaching over it to grab the draw sheet).

The problem occurs when I lift from my side and I have to extend my body over the patients original position(the patients bed). My arms are fully extended away from me and my lower back is bent over.

I land the patient softly. Yeah, Im only straining 5 seconds, but the last thing I need in my life is for my back to go out.

How can I load the patient in this fashion and minimize the damage done to my lower back?

Should I climb onto the bed with my knees? I know some of you guys are pro.

Thanks for the help

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
How you handle this situation depends on many factors, including how tall you are.

Yes, you can kneel on the bed. You can do the "lift" in two, first one scooting the pt closer to the stretcher first, then, kneel on the bed for the actual lift over.

I personally am quiet short, so I prefer to be on the stretcher side, don't have to lean over further than the length of my torso that way, which causes much strain and stress on the back.

vquintessence

Forum Captain
Well, first off IMHO there's a reason your partner keeps choosing the 'stretcher' side with lateral lifting. All he/she is doing is lifting and pulling a shorter distance, whereas your end requires considerably more reach. Switch off lift positions.

Don't be afraid to ask for a facility member to help, they're usually not too bothered if you simply ask them to guide the feet end. Doing that will allow you to focus your strength on the torso area, where most of the weight is.

Try raising/lowering the beds to different heights when transferring pts. It gets tricky when there are significant height differences between you and your partner, but make a compromise.

Don't be afraid to stand on the bed when you need to. Doing so will give you good leverage when lifting pts of tolerable weights (wouldn't recommend for the larger pts).

The fact that you're new to this, and your back is already bothering you, is pretty worrisome. Those little pains will quickly accumulate, and may be huge trouble down the road. Take care of yourself. Also, I don't know if your company discourages or outright forbids this but... ask the pt if he/she would be able to stand and pivot with the assistance of you and your partner. Many bed ridden pts will be able to, just make sure with staff and medical records that doing so won't cause harm.

fiddlesticks

Forum Crew Member
do you guys have a PAT slide you could use? that can help with bigger pt. or at some first aid stores you can get little plastic bag type things that you can re use as that go under the pt to help slide them over or just get help from ppl that work there they have arms :)

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Last edited by a moderator:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
Dominion, Fire isn't available if you're exclusively IFT, as the OP stated they were

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Use a slider and use your head.

THAT's a bad visual.

Those slick slider boards are way cool, match heights and slide. The handled tarps intended for moving really heavy people work pretty darn well if they are kept clean and slick.
Stop and think about how the lift will go. Mentally rehearse which muscles you will use and how you will balance.
If it works, consider removing the footboard of the bed, match heights, put the litter at the foot of the bed and grasp the bottom sheet from either side and slide them down over the foot of the bed, over the head of the litter and into place. No one reaches very far, and if you keep your elbows in close, you use your torso muscles and weight to accomplish it.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
Dominion, Fire isn't available if you're exclusively IFT, as the OP stated they were

Dominion does have a good point, though. We typically have superior retirement/disability benefits, we roll up deep, we can lift, and have a stokes basket for unusual situations.

In IFT, there are always extra hands available while in a facility. Tell them that you can't load up until they give help. As far as home discharges, tell dispatch that you can't(won't) off load until you get at least a second crew to help, citing undue danger both for the pt and the crew.

46Young

Level 25 EMS Wizard
I forgot to add that the most mechanically advantageous position is to lift from around the belt/pelvic level, no higher, which allows a straight horizontal pull and a decent base. It's like doing a low cable row in the gym. As you progress higher, you'll notice progressively higher stress to your L-spine and your shoulders. You also have a weak base, and will instinctively throw up one or two knees on the bed to improve your leverage. Guess what? when you're kneeling on the bed, you're pulling from belt/pelvic level, which is what I'm recommending in the first place. Think about it.

Renegade rows (look them up), olympic style front squats and hyperextensions will help with strength in that position.

Last edited by a moderator:

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
46, right on.

true on both!