Neck Tat

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I'm currently taking EMT-I class and i'm 21. I have no problem with the classes and i'm lovin it. My only problem is that i have tattoos, yes i did search but i don't want to bring an old thread back from the dead.

I'm not afraid of my tattoo being in the emt career because they all can be covered except one, which is on the side of my neck and thats what troubles me. When i finish my class and get my licenses will i get hired because the tat on my neck is visible. The tat is just a simple last name of my family so i stress out about it whenever i think of it. :blush:

Arkymedic

Forum Captain
I'm currently taking EMT-I class and i'm 21. I have no problem with the classes and i'm lovin it. My only problem is that i have tattoos, yes i did search but i don't want to bring an old thread back from the dead.

I'm not afraid of my tattoo being in the emt career because they all can be covered except one, which is on the side of my neck and thats what troubles me. When i finish my class and get my licenses will i get hired because the tat on my neck is visible. The tat is just a simple last name of my family so i stress out about it whenever i think of it. :blush:

We have a medic with one

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It would have to be a hoary last name or a really crappy-looking jail-house tatoo to cause alarm. I'd imagine that would be the biggest stumbling-block -- appearance.

The second biggest stumbling block would be if you, yourself, "Carry" it like it's a burden. If that's the case, make it pretty; that can be done.

If all else fails, then get a Universal Life Church Minister's card and wear a Priest's collar. But don't let it interfere with your career in EMS, the people need you.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
At my full-time job, we've got a non-EMS employee with a neck tattoo.. It is obvious, and there is no way she can hide it, even with a buttoned collar and tie.

I'm not a big fan of tattoos, because they are hard to undo. There is no reason you can't be certified, but you may run into trouble with job interviews and employment. If a shirt and tie cover the tat, wear a shirt and tie to an interview... conceal the tat until you are already hired... then they have to have a policy requiring you to cover it.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
It's my feeling that it will be harder to gain employment in EMS with a neck tattoo, but I would imagine that if you find the right service with the right HR rep, you'll do fine. It's no different than any other professional-level job.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
it will vary from company to company. someplaces dont care as long as the tattoos arent vulgar. others dont care if they're bible verses.

dress appropriatley for your interview. dont make any mention of it. dont worry about it. it shouldnt be a problem.

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
If you don't make an issue out of it, it may not be one.

Also, if a potential employer does have an issue with the tattoo, is that a place where you would be comfortable working? I would think that if they were that concerned about it, there are going to be more areas where your personal lifestyle decisions are going to conflict with the company's image.

I've also seen workers cover their tattoos with bandaids while on duty.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
In general tattoos are considered unprofessional. Sorry, television reporters, legislatures, professionals such as attorneys etc. are expected to refrain from such expression or behavior. Sure, there are many that have them covered or placed in areas not able to be seen (which I do not understand the reason then).

We even require students to cover tattoos and as well as instructors. Local EMS varies in the ability to have or not being able to be displayed. Be prepared to cover them or wear clothing to do such.

Within the past two years, we have actually seen a decrease in them. It appears the "new" may have worn out and the popularity decreased since almost everyone has one. I even see geriatric patients now getting them..

R/r 911

SC Bird

Forum Lieutenant
I think it's a good idea if you really want to get one to get it in an area that can easily be concealed.

-Matt

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with the consensus most people have. Im in Cali and it all depends on which company you work for. When i was trying to get with company's i saw a couple that said in their applications all tattoos must be covered and piercings down to just a stud in each ear, but its seems like most companies don't mention anything about it. So it all depends on the company, you just have to prove your stripes in the interview if they are skeptical of a simple tattoo.

OP
OP
Noctis Lucis Caelum

Noctis Lucis Caelum

Forum Lieutenant
I agree with the consensus most people have. Im in Cali and it all depends on which company you work for. When i was trying to get with company's i saw a couple that said in their applications all tattoos must be covered and piercings down to just a stud in each ear, but its seems like most companies don't mention anything about it. So it all depends on the company, you just have to prove your stripes in the interview if they are skeptical of a simple tattoo.

Finally, someone from Cali. So what company are you under? AMR? Because the school i'm going through is under AMR so i dunno if they're strict on employers

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
Im actually applying at AMR right now. So far i havent heard anything from them that would make me think they would bar someone based on a Tattoo, but i didnt read through all their legal stuff (Their application is 18 pages long) But ill look though my app again and see if they say anything about it and ill post again. You can always email their nor cal rep and ask if that would bar you from employment, i just warn you the take a while to get back to you (took me like 3 weeks just to get a copy of their application from them.) but check the AMR website for the regional contact emails. http://www.amr.net/
ill post again though once ive checked my app. hope that helps a little though

BossyCow

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm guessing AMR only cares if you are breathing and will put up with working for a company with a piss-poor labor record. They do not have a reputation of very high standards at any level. You might want to do a forum search on AMR to see some posts here on the topic.

Topher38

Forum Lieutenant
There was a paramedic I met once who had a bald head, and a red button on the back that said "Reset" underneath it, it was pretty funny, The button was about the size of a half dollar.

Pretty kewl.

TheMowingMonk

Forum Lieutenant
thats aesome, if i could pull off a shaved head i would do that