Navy Corpman or Hospital Corpman?

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Yeah, my parents arent exactly pointing me in that direction. I am weighing out my options. The thing is that im almost done with my 12 years of required schooling and I can't say I directly want to jump at going to college. I plan to apply to Umass and thats about it. I am taking my EMT class at a Community College next fall and im going to go from there. Theres a million reasons why I want to join the military and theres another why I do not want to. Its a tough decision to make really. Its either Air Force or Navy for me, really. I think it would be honorable to work with Marines, though it'd be hella dangerous, the job I want my entire life to evolve around is also dangerous (firefighting and so can EMS) and so I mean, im willing to put it on the line to help others really.

TripsTer

Forum Crew Member
I believe you can take classes while on active duty in the Navy, so even though you're on a ship, you can still be advancing towards your degree.

I believe Corpsman get their National Registry as a basic during their training, so if you decide to enlist, you may not even need to get your EMT. I'd verify that with your recruiter though. Feel free to jump in anytime sailors...

OP
OP
Nick647

Nick647

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks, I appreciate it.

mississippimedic

Forum Crew Member
I would advise you to go active duty navy. You will most likely get a chance to see much of the world when you are sea duty. The navy is like any other job in the world, some days are good, some will suck. As a young man I would not recommend you to go to the reserves, If you don't get a fmf slot, on your weekend drill you may only do physicals, give shots, and do paperwork. Then on your 2weeks summer drill, you may go to a cool location or you may stay at your unit and do admin stuff. While you are young go active duty and see the world, also the active side will have more to offer. When you decided to join do so in the fall, when the navy fiscal year starts. You will have more options and schools available then. I would plan it to get to MEPS on the first day of the fiscal year, so most of the schhols are still open.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
Well I heard it depends on where you are assigned. If you're on a ship as a corpsman, you'll be tending to regular medical duties but if you're deployed in the field, that's an entirely different story. You'll be fighting alongside the marines who are usually out hunting the enemy compared to the army who mainly does security.

But corpsman are considered gods, and being called "Doc is a high form of respect.

If you're looking for purpose in your life, joining the military might just help you do that. But don't take my word for it. I also wanted to be a corpsman in high school but mi madre talked me out of it.

I can believe they would give preference to veterans but not disabled veterans...

Yup going out and doing cordon and searches or doing mounted combat patrols is just security...mmhmm If you haven't been there try not to put your foot in your mouth. Also being called "Doc" isnt so much an honor as a rite of passage, if anyone starts calling you "band-aid" your a crappy medic. Yes, you are right a medic / corpsman in a line unit you do get treated well, but you are a grunt until someone gets an owie. The medics who try to escape their normal soldiering duties usually end up getting treated very poorly.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I have heard Marines treat medics specially.

They'll protect you and include you even though you may not theoretically be as hardcore as they, but when it's "Medic Up!" your dues are going to be paid in full...or you devolve to sh&$bird, pogeybait, or worse.