National Ambulance UAE

ambulance

Forum Probie
Thank you for reposting your message. In fact, it was mentioned on th NAC website regarding expression of interest for a Bachelor degree Paramedic some times ago. However, Diploma in Para medicine with two year duration is acceptable for Paramedic license with HAAD. During the transition from NAC to a Government run EMS what would be the minimum qualification to apply for a paramedic position. Have they changed the NAC requirements of Bachelor degree to a Diploma holder? Hoping for an updated and helping information ....Thank you.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Perhaps I misread your question-
If you're asking about NAC... The website said that, but it was not actually true. I didn't have a "degree" at the time. I went to a private paramedic school that was about 16 months in duration, and gained my National Registry card. That's all I had and I was hired. Generally it was based on where you were from based on the level of scrutiny your background received... As an American they just kinda checked boxes that needed to be checked... From New Zealand or Poland (for example) and you may have had a tougher time getting licenses.

If you're asking about the future of HAAD requirements...

I can't tell you what the new regulations may change to. I am no longer there... Perhaps someone could chime in. I could ask some friends who are still there, and repost if they know.

Honestly, it is likely to stay the same, unless someone up top decides to start making random and ridiculous changes which may or may not occur. The people in that region have a way of making things that should be simple streamlined processes into a metaphorical pretzel, if you will. It could change once or a few times before they get it down to something they find good for their needs.

Hopefully, they we keep the standard of a National Registry card and/or its equivalent around the world.

The problem is as I stated though, they could cluster it up with arbitrary, needless, and complicated new red tape, even though the job itself remains the same.

At this point it is speculation.

Last edited:

ambulance

Forum Probie
Perhaps I misread your question-
If you're asking about NAC... The website said that, but it was not actually true. I didn't have a "degree" at the time. I went to a private paramedic school that was about 16 months in duration, and gained my National Registry card. That's all I had and I was hired. Generally it was based on where you were from based on the level of scrutiny your background received... As an American they just kinda checked boxes that needed to be checked... From New Zealand or Poland (for example) and you may have had a tougher time getting licenses.

If you're asking about the future of HAAD requirements...

I can't tell you what the new regulations may change to. I am no longer there... Perhaps someone could chime in. I could ask some friends who are still there, and repost if they know.

Honestly, it is likely to stay the same, unless someone up top decides to start making random and ridiculous changes which may or may not occur. The people in that region have a way of making things that should be simple streamlined processes into a metaphorical pretzel, if you will. It could change once or a few times before they get it down to something they find good for their needs.

Hopefully, they we keep the standard of a National Registry card and/or its equivalent around the world.

The problem is as I stated though, they could cluster it up with arbitrary, needless, and complicated new red tape, even though the job itself remains the same.

At this point it is speculation.
Thank you. You have cleared my doubt anyway....Thank you for your valuable time.Best wishes....

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am not exactly sure and I worked in the country for over 2 years in total. The health authority is not very clear when it comes to communication, and most of the information I herd was second hand from my employer. I was always told you needed a degree, but like sandmedic said, plenty of people get hired and get the HAAD licence with no degree. This probably only confuses you more, but I can only speak based on my anecdotal experience. On the official HAAD website It does not say its mandatory. but the website is under constant review and being updated, specifically for EMT and Paramedic requirements. The same can be said for employer specific policy and HR rules in the country for all employers. check this link http://www.haad.ae/HAAD/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=xvB6WwzZhow=

Last edited:

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Right.
I'm sure as long as you meet the minimum time requirements for being a working paramedic you'll be alright. When I was there it was 2 years minimum; that seemed to be the only thing they cared about at the HAAD office.

ambulance

Forum Probie
Yes. HAAD requires only two years Paramedic course completion as per their website. Just thought of confirming qualification requirement for transforming National Ambulance company to a Government run EMS. Because NAC had mentioned Bachelor degree Paramedic expression of interest these days on their website...As per your experience it was flexible...However, it can be confirmed with some one currently working with NAC for the updated requirements........

TooTallMedic

Forum Ride Along
Hey @SandPit,
I just dropped an app for an Abu Dhabi slot through Orbit Recruiting and a reliable source said you might be the person to talk to about contracts in Abu Dhabi. Was wondering if you could PM me.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
PM inbound.

Although, for the record. NA lost pretty much all ALS contracts and no longer hires paramedics in Abu Dhabi.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
---Warning disclaimer this is a rumor mill post---- With that being said, here is what I know.

Update on NA: I left the public EMS contract about 16 months ago, but I am still in contact with those who are there. NA has lost the contract as the public EMS staffing provider for Abu Dhabi. They also no longer hire ALS paramedics on remote contracts with the national infrastructure authority, they hire (EMT-A/EMT-I). You can work as a paramedic on the remote sites, but you will be paid and equipped as an intermediate. They still hold the public EMS contract in the Northern Emirates, but when I last worked there that contract was primarily a BLS ambulance contract with a handful of ALS field supervisors. NA still has "special event contracts" for the Abu Dhabi Airport, Yas Island Raceway, and other various on-site locations. They also still offer ALS (ACC team leader) medical direction and dispatch for their BLS field staff. They also still have a small number of paramedics in the office as operational supervisors and training staff.

Update on Police Ambulance: Here is what I know about the current state of the new police contracts. Keep it mind this could probably change at any time. From my understanding of speaking with people who are still working with the police ambulance contract, they are now direct employee's of Abu Dhabi police. They had to sign new contracts, find their own housing, and get different visas. Housing allowance is 96K durham annually for married (unsure about single), Monthly salary is around the same as NA low to mid-20k Durham per month (need to confirm) but they deduct 10% of your salary every month as a security deposit, If you complete a two-year contract, you get the %10 back. Otherwise, you forfeit it all. No one at the police ambulance has seen any new paramedics hired since NA lost the contract months ago. I am still figuring out how to apply and the police do not have a mainstream recruitment system as of writing this. Concerning clinical support, operational standards and safety, there are almost none. Individual liability as a clinician has increased. You're also expected to be on call on your days off even if your out of the country. If you work in central Abu Dhabi shifts are 12 hours 4 days on 4 days off. I am unsure about the other locations such as western region. There are no extra unpaid hours for training or makeup shifts.

Last edited:

once

Forum Ride Along
Don't go. If you look back in the history of this forum you will find lots of information from people who worked there, and still work there. It is an extremely racist country. As an ALS Paramedic on road I had many 'conversations' with Police drivers who would not take certain patients to particular hospitals statin it was for white man or Emirate only, and insisting we go to other hospital 20 minutes further away…the patient was critical (hit by car). I went to car accidents where the Emirate had a scratch and was taken to hospital by the EPS Ambulance… while the Pakistani with his abdo ripped open was left on the side of he road. Emirates are pretty much the most racist people on Earth. Their Medical Director is from Tunisia but his medical knowledge is not remotely equivalent to a western trained Doctor, he couldn't even recognise a lateral intact on a 12L ECG. The EPS who run ambulance are not medical people they are just public servants, not true Police. Any body who works in the Public Service in the UAE is called Police, even the meter maid. And… corruption is at plague proportions. Generally Emirates are generally very rude, ignorant and un educated. They claim to be these god faring humble people, but that is only the face they show on the surface, scratch underneath and there is nothing but puss. There are the exceptions of course, and those are the ones who have been educated in places like Australia, USA or UK and returned to the UAE with a bit more understanding about how people should be treated. If you are unfortunately in Al Ain, it is even worse. The EPS Captain there is rude, ignorant, unqualified and extremely racist. There are a few of the National Ambulance paramedics who are still working in the UAE but with EPS now…until their contracts expire… the few I keep in touch with describe EPS as pure incompetents.
Emirates are pigs…keep away.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I've heard they have lost most of their contracts.
Most who I know there have since been let go.
Others say they are there working business as usual.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Also, the Emirates are no different than every other race in the Middle East...
They think they're king ****

ambulance

Forum Probie
Do we have any update on paramedic opportunities in Abudhabi? How to drop a cv with Abudhabi police ambulance service? Is it National Ambulance company still stands out best option 2017 in the UAE? Any comments on updated EMS trends in the UAE would be a great help.......

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Link for what?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I am the source of information as a former employee of national ambulance and contractor for the ADP. However, you can contact any present employee of either organization (NAC or ADP), and they will confirm. It's ancient news

trekmedics

Forum Ride Along
I am the source of information as a former employee of national ambulance and contractor for the ADP. However, you can contact any present employee of either organization (NAC or ADP), and they will confirm. It's ancient news
Thanks! I'll take your word for it.