nasal atomizers anyone?

I've not had opportunity to use Glucagon IN yet. In fact, in the last 3 years, I've used it only once. I believe it's overall use in my system is low. However, the safety of not having a sharp around a potentially seizing/combative patient is a good option and one we should look at more often.

With the glucagon, why not just give it IM?

Simple and effective.

Look up.
the safety of not having a sharp around a potentially seizing/combative patient is a good option and one we should look at more often.

Why this one?

Intranasal is not a viable route of administration for patients in cardiac arrest. Like IM and SQ IN requires peripheral circulation for the drug which cardiac arrest patients severely lack.

IM benzo is the preferred seizure med route...if there is no IV (rampart study)
and why the narcan during cardiac arrest? Your priority should be compressions and airway

First off I really need to learn to keep up with my posts..

The theory behind it for our use was medic chase car with two BLS providers on location. Since ETT, and EPI are farther down the list on the ACLS guidelines So is initiating IV therapy.

So In theory you would have 2 BLS provider at minimum(depending on location you might get fire or a 2nd BLS crew) performing BLS CPR with a AED attached. Upon arrival of ALS the AED pads can be transferred over to the LP monitor. If suspected Opiate Toxicity 2MG IN Narcan can be immediately administered as CPR is continued with a BLS airway and compressions. Works great in theory I have yet to see success we are a big Heroin use area.

as far as onset of action, to IN medications I was told various things with no studies to prove it.

I don't think Naloxone via any route during cardiac arrest works at all, not even in theory.

If the patient is pulseless, it has nothing to do with any amount of opiods onboard but rather that they were not breathing for a prolonged period of time.

Back