Nailing the Interview?

Lo2w

Forum Captain
I've done 2 interviews so far, both with local privates in my state that seem to be on the "do you have a pulse..." end of the hiring spectrum. I got a call from St. Francis in Wilmington to come out and interview in March and I'm really excited. I know the basics, not my first time at the interview rodeo.

So I'm a baby basic with no back of the truck experience. A year on the floor as a tech in the SICU and 10 years working as a pool lifeguard with management experience - so I feel very comfortable in taking patient history and BLS skills - bleeding control, splinting, CPR, ventilations. I'll be studying/refreshing throughout the month but what are some things I can anticipate or prepare for to really stand out? What are the questions I can - or should be - ask when we hit the "Do you have any questions?" beyond just work schedule and benefits?

I'm still weeding through the threads here from other interview questions. Would it be unheard of to ask to do a ride along? I figure since I'm spending a few days out there it wouldn't hurt to ask. Would that be better to channel through the recruiter vs. asking at the interview?

VentMonkey

Family Guy
I'm still weeding through the threads here from other interview questions. Would it be unheard of to ask to do a ride along?
I don't think it would be unheard of. It shows genuine interest, IMO.
I figure since I'm spending a few days out there it wouldn't hurt to ask. Would that be better to channel through the recruiter vs. asking at the interview?
Perhaps ask the recruiter first, then once you hit the interview, mention to them that this was brought up to the recruiter as well. Again, doing a RAL is usually a great idea and also shows that you're self-motivated, and driven; even just asking does.
Good luck, and to save us all the trouble of digging through the search bar, a good resource when it comes to interviews and the like would be @akflightmedic.

OP
OP
Lo2w

Lo2w

Forum Captain
Good luck, and to save us all the trouble of digging through the search bar, a good resource when it comes to interviews and the like would be @akflightmedic.

Thanks, I'm going to call the recruiter back today or tomorrow to follow up and make sure I'm confirmed for the date.. I'll be sure to ask.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
ABSOLUTELY ask for a ride along. Any service worth their salt would have zero issue allowing this and in fact they should encourage it. You may find there are some aspects you do not like and change your mind about continuing the process or you might discover some questions you need to ask. Or...you might absolutely love it even more and become even more pursuit in obtaining the job.

The flip side is no matter how comfy you quickly become with anyone on a ride along, keep your mouth shut and personality limited. While a pre-employment ride along is awesome, it could just as easily burn you.