My pt. has no veins!

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
How do you go about finding/obtaining a vein in the patient that seems to have none? I've had 3 pt.s this week that I couldnt palpate, visualize or poke and hope. and were in desperate need of an IV. Usually my skills are ok, but im getting really discouraged with all these no veined people.

I've tried the 2 tourniquet method, hanging their arm off the side of the cot, having them squeeze their hand, nothing makes even the tiniest thing pop up. I give up :(

ma2va92

Forum Lieutenant
my list

hands forearms AC.. warm cloth{heat pack} rub the hell out of the area .. something will show... then the best you get is a 22 or 24 .. well it's a start to get somethig flowing

CodeSurfer

Forum Captain
Slap 'em real hard... then even if a vein doesnt show, you have gotten your frustration out. B)

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I hate it! People are always grabbing my arms asking if they can practice on my big veins. NO... I'm not a pin cushion. I'm irish, so I completely white, that makes my veins more obvious. Damn genes.

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
I forgot...

Nitro stat... Just a little, spray it on where u want the vein, and it sort of makes it more obvious. Then, don't tell anyone u did it, especially if the patients BP bottoms out. :blink: :p

OP
OP
B

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
I forgot...

Nitro stat... Just a little, spray it on where u want the vein, and it sort of makes it more obvious. Then, don't tell anyone u did it, especially if the patients BP bottoms out.

oh man then I BETTER get a line in!

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I've heard good things about the Venoscope (http://www.venoscope.com/). I've never seen one used, but another forum I frequent has talked about them as a tool for finding the hard-to-find vein. At $150 it's a big investment though B)

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
Take a penlight and have someone hold it up to their skin, to the side of where you think the vein should be - sometimes it makes it easier to see where it is/how deep it is/etc.

I have pipes and CC students are constantly looking at my hands and arms - I have let a couple of the cocky ones try because my pipes roll and then they fell like dorks for missing. :)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by rescuecpt@Apr 14 2005, 08:59 AM
Take a penlight and have someone hold it up to their skin, to the side of where you think the vein should be - sometimes it makes it easier to see where it is/how deep it is/etc.

I have pipes and CC students are constantly looking at my hands and arms - I have let a couple of the cocky ones try because my pipes roll and then they fell like dorks for missing. :)
This works GREAT in peds. Had a NICU nurse show me how their trans-illuminator worked (same way).

Tighter tournequet works, sometimes.

Put the pt. in tredelenburg if their pressure is even a LITTLE low.

EJ's are a great thing...if only I could do one or two in the ED (Darn residents :rolleyes: )

Otherwise, just stick them and turn them into a pincusion Doesn't always work, ut sometimes you get lucky.

Jon

Tigs_9

Forum Probie
Not that i no what im talkin about or anything but my veins dont like to b played with. I give blood all the time and the nurse always puts something very cold on my arm and makes me clench my fist a couple of times..... Works for him and me :D Mind u ur pt wud have to be fairly concious!!! But like i said not that i no anything about it!!! :rolleyes:

flmedic

Forum Ride Along
Always remember to look in the less obvious places like the leg or foot...depending on the severity of needing a line. I have had your situation happen to me more times than I care to remember thats where remembering anatomy comes into play there are certain areas that everyone has veins...wether you feel them or see them or not. I don't know your protocols but an EJ has saved me more than once.

OP
OP
B

BloodNGlory02

Forum Crew Member
EJ's and IO's are a I-99 thing only. And the way they're itchin to get them, im sure as a lowely IV Tech I wouldnt get many anyways. *sigh* why cant everyone have a vein that says POKE ME! POKE ME!

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Go fer' the jug'! Just keep probin' around until blood starts squirtin!

Worst thing that happens is the guy dies. It's all gravy. ;)

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 15 2005, 05:58 PM
Go fer' the jug'!
careful to who and how you say that....

Jon

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
WhoooooooooohOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

:eek:

*puts down the jug*

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by MedicStudentJon+Apr 16 2005, 05:54 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (MedicStudentJon @ Apr 16 2005, 05:54 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-TTLWHKR@Apr 15 2005, 05:58 PM
Go fer' the jug'!
careful to who and how you say that....

Jon [/b][/quote]
Jugular

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Originally posted by TTLWHKR@Apr 15 2005, 05:58 PM
Go fer' the jug'! Just keep probin' around until blood starts squirtin!

;)
GOODNESS!!! :eek:

You probe around the jugs until she bleeds!!!

WOW!! I think you revealed a lot about yourself. :p :D B)