My New Tattoo - EMS

Phridae

Forum Asst. Chief
Nice tattoo! Its very nicely done.

I've always considered getting a tattoo, but, I just to know if I get something now, I'll like it in 10 years, ya know? They're just a little to permanent for me...

In other news. I've been gone from these forums for...quite some time. I'm sad to see the newer people are not very pleasent.

If you dont have anything nice to say, DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.

TheDoll

Forum Captain
Nice tattoo! Its very nicely done.

I've always considered getting a tattoo, but, I just to know if I get something now, I'll like it in 10 years, ya know? They're just a little to permanent for me...

In other news. I've been gone from these forums for...quite some time. I'm sad to see the newer people are not very pleasent.

If you dont have anything nice to say, DONT SAY ANYTHING AT ALL.
i feel the same way about tattoos. i'm in my early 30's now, and most of my friends who got the cool tatt's of the early 90's now regret it. plus, when my college buddies were getting ink, i was way more into piercings. i always thought--why would i pay so much money for a tattoo when i can just give myself my own piercing on the cheap? ha ha! however, i love seeing work that other people have had done--i just would get sick of seeing it on my own skin.

ps. i don't thing all the newbs are so unpleasant! i'm kinda new, and i don't fancy myself too much of a troublemaker aside from lightly chiding eggshen for jumping on this thread. i mostly lurk on this board, and it's usually fairly tame.
<--meanie on rare occasion:)

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Ya I'm new but I sure hope that I'm not mean :D I do talk alot though :D

I am always worried about getting a tat because I get bored with things easily
And I always remeber the story my mom told me when I first told her I wanted a tattoo She said she saw a woman (becuase she was a nurse and also worked in a nursing home) that got a rose on her chest and like 15-20+years later it went from 1 inch to like a foot...lol gross

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
The point I was attempting to make and apperantly since many may not be aware of life or know the real world setting is that one may not get an EMS job, or be even considered because they have visible tattoo's.

Personally, I don't care if people have tatto's or even people on forums like me or not. I am a professional in this business. EMS and medicine is not a game, or hobby to me, nor did I just take a 16 week class to work in this profession. My length in clinicals alone is more than many ever work in the field. So, if I appear more serious, and take this job and how we represent it; and be judged; there is a reason.

I have seen and had many students that were excellent students that had a great potential in the career of EMS, F.D., LEO; but do to unwise choices such as obtaining tattos, on their forearms, neck, body peircings, etc.. may never be able to be considered for hire, in many areas, as well as many other professional jobs. Like it or not.. that is the way professions are.

What you do in your private life is your business, but realize all things have consquences.

R/r 911

TheDoll

Forum Captain
rid, i don't think phridea's (sp?) comment was directed at you at all. i think it was more directed at the banter between eggshen and me. your advice is sound, and i think many agree that getting a tattoo requires a lot of thought. the placement of it is even more important! anywhoo...

less talk more tatt pics, please!:)

Last edited by a moderator:

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
I personally have always thought that having a ton of tattoos on my arms and legs ext would be super annoying..I have always wanted them in places easily hidden lower back, hip, sholder blade, hairline on neck...just because I want to beable to be prefessional at all times...just sayin :D

Also has anyone heard of the 5 year tats that would be coming out soon? from what I've heard they only last 5 years or so kinda like a henna but longer? lol...seems like a good idea

emtkelley

Forum Crew Member
I have a "vision" of what I want it to be. Of course, I'm not a pro in the field and I will leave it up to Matty as to how he wants to design it to bring it up to it's optimum.

I was just remarking to my husband tonight that I would be a bit uncomfortable if a dr. worked on me while wearing an earring. We were watching a show on Discovery Health where the dr. was wearing an earring and the patient became combative. I am not against earrings on men, I just think there is a time and a place.

I wear white t-shirts under my uniform shirts so there is no chance anyone is going to catch a peek of my artwork.

BTW, Babygirl, that's what breast augmentation is for, lol!

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Thanks Doll.

Something I learned recently was for women to be careful of not getting a tattoo on their lower back, if they want to have a "spinal block"..during labor/childbirth. Appearantly, it is contraindicated to perform an LP through "inked" area..many anesthesiologist will not perform them.

R/r 911

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Thanks Doll.

Something I learned recently was for women to be careful of not getting a tattoo on their lower back, if they want to have a "spinal block"..during labor/childbirth. Appearantly, it is contraindicated to perform an LP through "inked" area..many anesthesiologist will not perform them.

R/r 911
Ya that kinda makes scene...

BTW, Babygirl, that's what breast augmentation is for, lol!

lol thats true!!!

OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
I'm thinking of one or two of these but since I have 4+ years to decide I'm just thinking of it.

want3.jpg

want2.jpg

want1.jpg

I would go for all 3 top one on arm near shoulder.

second all I can say - cold shower - I love tat's there

third just above ankle

OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
Geez folks, it's a tat. Let him have his fun with it.

The colors are nice and I like the design. Is it new? How long have you had it?

I'm considering getting some work done on my um.....upper frontal body area as it will be a coverup on an old tattoo. It is going to be an upturned hand with a butterfly resting on it along wih a crysanthamum, which is my birthmonth flower. The hand represents my birth mother and the butterfly represents my mother (who loves butterflys). I am the flower and the whole thing is for my adoption. Some day I will get it done or a version of it. I wanted something originlal and this is the guy who will make it happen for me when I decide to do it.:

www.myspace.com/torridtattoos

about 2 days old

OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks Doll.

R/r 911

I asked an anesthesiologist about that and was told that they have found that the problems noted by anesthesiologist are not the tattoo but also exhist with the same anesthesiologist when there is no tattoo. Just a way to lay off some of the blame. She also stated that there have be some minor issues caused by the tattoos but there is just as much risk of choking while chewing gum. She then showed me her her lower back tattoo.

OP
OP
Rattletrap

Rattletrap

Forum Lieutenant
One last note while on my mind. You never know who has a tattoo right under your nose. I know some lawyers, doctors and even school teachers who have tattoos right under your noses. UV Titanium White can be used on light skin tones to create virtually invisible tattoos - some very light scaring may occur due to the tattooing process.

I am going to have this done to my tattoo as a highlight to make it pop in bars that have black light.

side note

be mindful of FDA approval statements as no tattoo ink is FDA approved for humans. Read the statements carefully.

some black light tattoos can be seen here. http://www.tattooartists.org/Gal3975_UV_Blacklight_Ink.asp

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
I have seen those black light tattoo and think they are SO cool...

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Okay, maybe I'm missing the point..Why get a tatt. that one cannot see? And only in blacklight setting? Wouldn't that be missing the whole point of getting a tattoo?

For as the LP tattoo... that maybe the anesthesiologist own opinion, but I have yet worked at a hospital that performed LP's or blocks on tattooed area because the needle pierces through the skin potentially introducing ink into the spinal fluid. If she wants to do such.. it's her malpractice.

R/r 911

Glorified

Forum Lieutenant
I personally do not see the point in tattoos, other than attention or self assurance.

babygirl2882

Forum Captain
Thanks Doll.

R/r 911
http://www.snopes.com/medical/drugs/tattoo.asp
Something I found on this :)

gradygirl

TROUBLE
Ouch guys. What happened to the whole "if you want it, get it, it's your body"? I'm inked, I know plenty of people who are who have been in this business for WAY to long. One of my closest friends at work has one and is questioning staying in the game (been there for 16 years) but has no regrets about his tat. Also, just because someone leaves EMS doesn't mean that they should regret their tattoo; it's a step in their lives, and some choose to commemorate that with ink.

P.S. I have actually had people who knocked the idea of me having an EMS tat take one look at it and eat their words.