My first medical situation

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
Huh, haven't you ever watched a movie where someone was severely injured? The most important part of treatment is keeping them awake. If they are awake, they aren't dead, so if you base all of your treatments on keeping them awake, then they should be fine. I prefer to keep a good stock of amphetamines and ammonia capsules handy for this purpose.

Thats an awesome idea mate, level of consciousness is a great indicator of cerebral perfusion!

Why I do believe that may just qualify you for an orange jumpsuit with "PARAMEDIC" written on it!

Oh man that hurt, I shouldn't do that in the future. Brown needs to sit down quick!

Aprz

The New Beach Medic
Yup, seeming pretty clear to me also.......
Yup, seeming pretty clear to me also....................

Does anybody else notice a pattern going on here? :D

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Yup, seeming pretty clear to me also....................

Does anybody else notice a pattern going on here? :D

Yup, seeming pretty clear to me also.................................

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
all i know is laymen arent taught to check a pulse lol.

Tis true for adult resuscitation...they assume that adults arrest due to cardiac problems vs. children who arrest after respiratory problems. Therefore, laymen are taught to check for children but not adults.

Melclin

Forum Deputy Chief
Never have I seen a thread more worthy of an epic face palm.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
Tis true for adult resuscitation...they assume that adults arrest due to cardiac problems vs. children who arrest after respiratory problems. Therefore, laymen are taught to check for children but not adults.

yea but when an adult sees a child drop, especially if its their kid, they are going to be freaking out and i doubt they will check for a pulse

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Well yeah, but what do we mean by "drop"? A kid in cardiac arrest secondary to a respiratory problem will probably have been showing obvious signs of the respiratory distress. If they just drop they are probably having a syncopal episode not related to cardiac arrest, unless they have some sort of congenital defect. I suppose non life-threatening syncope is where there could be a problem, ie, people starting cpr on someone not in distress.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
yea thats what i mean, they really should teach to check for pulse in everybody because they could be doing cpr on a person not in cardiac arrest

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
yea thats what i mean, they really should teach to check for pulse in everybody because they could be doing cpr on a person not in cardiac arrest

And the worst part is, in my CPR class the only real difference was the instructor telling us to check for a pulse. I did a hybrid course (online/in person) and was in a class with a bunch of people getting first aid and standard CPR certs, and checking for a pulse was the only thing they taught differently, and they only took 2 seconds to make the distinction.

What could it hurt? Tell them to check for a pulse for a few seconds. If they feel a pulse, then they don't give unnecessary CPR, and if they don't feel a pulse, it's no different than what they were taught before, except CPR is held off for a few seconds.

Doc_D

Forum Probie
Its alright man, my first real medical situation the soldier had 2 GSW (Gun Shot Wounds) to the hip and foot and a shrapnel wound in the other leg which caused a femoral bleed. I was scared, but it all worked out. Put a tournakit on him, packed some kerlix in his wounds, put some ace wraps around it, got a saline lock in and evac'ed him. He survived, sure did i over react and lose my cool? Yes. But its your first medical experience.

lampnyter

Forum Captain
And the worst part is, in my CPR class the only real difference was the instructor telling us to check for a pulse. I did a hybrid course (online/in person) and was in a class with a bunch of people getting first aid and standard CPR certs, and checking for a pulse was the only thing they taught differently, and they only took 2 seconds to make the distinction.

What could it hurt? Tell them to check for a pulse for a few seconds. If they feel a pulse, then they don't give unnecessary CPR, and if they don't feel a pulse, it's no different than what they were taught before, except CPR is held off for a few seconds.

i agree 100%. i am a cpr/aed teacher and whenever im teaching alone i tell them to try to check for a pulse but dont make it a priority

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
i agree 100%. i am a cpr/aed teacher and whenever im teaching alone i tell them to try to check for a pulse but dont make it a priority

If the two of you are in agreement, then you have obviously not read any of the evidenced based research which led to such changes and if you teach against the protocol, you really should not be an instructor.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If the two of you are in agreement, then you have obviously not read any of the evidenced based research which led to such changes and if you teach against the protocol, you really should not be an instructor.

Have you even had your Instructor background check yet AK? :D

Seriously, it'll be pretty obvious if they get enough cardiac output back to produce a pulse. Not even Ambo's check for a pulse anymore unless the rhythm looks capable of producing output or there are sctua signs of a cardiac output.

LondonMedic

Forum Captain
If they feel a pulse - whose pulse will it be? <_<

lampnyter

Forum Captain
I didnt really think it was a big deal. I guess i wont teach them to look for a pulse anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I didnt really think it was a big deal. I guess i wont teach them to look for a pulse anymore.

It actually is a big deal and I strongly suggest you review the "whys" of how we teach. It also makes me question your instructor course because you did not know this information beforehand. Just voicing an opinion in the hopes it motivates you to go read the research and change your instruction to conform to the guidelines so we can continue to produce properly educated students.