My Dilemma

itzfrank

Forum Crew Member
I work full time at what could be one of the slowest ALS agencies around. However, we're also the highest paying ALS agency around. I am noticing that some of the other medics here are becoming less competent without the call volume. I'm scared the same may be happening (and probably is) to all of us. I don't care where I live, but I need a busy place to be a medic and make a decent living. It seems like all the busy services don't pay worth a crap. Ideas for a new job?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
I work full time at what could be one of the slowest ALS agencies around. However, we're also the highest paying ALS agency around. I am noticing that some of the other medics here are becoming less competent without the call volume. I'm scared the same may be happening (and probably is) to all of us. I don't care where I live, but I need a busy place to be a medic and make a decent living. It seems like all the busy services don't pay worth a crap. Ideas for a new job?

move to somewhere that does

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm scared the same may be happening (and probably is) to all of us.

The only one you need to ask that question about is YOU. You should know the answer. Is your ability to provide the best you can being eroded by the lack of calls? If so, then is that how you choose to be a medic?

Then, the only thing remaining for you is finding where you can be the medic you choose to be. That would include monetary considerations as well. If you know why you're doing it, you can create the space for yourself.

(You could also keep your gig and the $ and find an outlet to make sure YOU keep up to speed in the work; volunteering in high-volume areas, whatever!)

Last edited by a moderator:

i5adam8

Forum Crew Member
I would suggest looking at a part time position at one of the other places if you can find the time. It may not pay very well,but it's only part time and you can keep your full job.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
I would suggest a mandatory continuing clinical competence / right to practice program.

For example our Ambulance Officers are required to complete forty hours of CCE per year or one four hour workshop every five weeks.

CCNRMedic1982

Forum Probie
I work in a "slow" EMS Service as well, so I understand what your saying, and what I did is exactly what everyone else is saying I went to the next county over where they had a larger call volume and "got my fix" this helped me in a couple of ways. 1) I made STUPID! money. 2) Got double the con-ed. 3)Got to use my skills 4) What I learned and used from my busy job I brought back to my other job and started to show everyone else and now I have been promoted to Training Officer. I think alot of times we all forget why we started to do this job and what we need to do to be "the best" at it. I always keep focused on what I'm here for, the pts. The rest is just icing on the cake man. Good Luck!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
pick up per diem shifts at the busier outfits while maintaining you higher paying full time job at the slower one.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
pick up per diem shifts at the busier outfits while maintaining you higher paying full time job at the slower one.
That's what I would do too

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
+1 on the part time job!

I'm a new fire/medic at a VERY slow department. We run VERY few ALS calls (and even fewer fires, but that's a story for another forum.)

I found a Per Diem medic position at a VERY busy service on the other side of the mountain where I can run LOTS of ALS calls, get my fix, keep up with my OTEP and most importantly, continue to learn and hone my skills.