My company has been cited!!!

ambusaurus

Forum Probie
Yes.

-The cost of the permits are increased to support the County's licensing program.
-Licensing fees for EMS aircraft operators are implemented.
-The "Need & Necessity" proof requirement has been eliminated.
-Financial penalties have been developed for violations of County codes, prehospital care policies, local and State laws, etc....
-Insurance provisions have been updated to be consistant with current County policy.
-Transferring the responsibility for compliance from the employer to the individual employee to ensure that employee has current required licenses and certifications.
-Applicant's financial capability must be proved.
-Response time standards are established.
-CCT programs will require County review and permit.
-Provide proof that the company has technically qualified management. Manager's resume must demonstrate at least 5 years of increasingly responsible experience.
-Written dispatch policies & procedures.
-Great focus on clinical QA/QI procedures, and the requirement to examine key indicators. Operational, Dispatch, ALS & CCT....

In all, the issue all along has been a lack of consistant medical oversight and accountability in all areas of the County. There are superstars performing EMS services in both 9-1-1 and non-emergency markets. The majority of the providers should have examined investing in sandwich shops, rather than businesses that risk lives. Effective the end of this month, the bar is raised. Congratulations to the EMS Agency and Board of Supervisors for recognizing the need.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Yes.

-The cost of the permits are increased to support the County's licensing program.
-Licensing fees for EMS aircraft operators are implemented.
-The "Need & Necessity" proof requirement has been eliminated.
-Financial penalties have been developed for violations of County codes, prehospital care policies, local and State laws, etc....
-Insurance provisions have been updated to be consistant with current County policy.
-Transferring the responsibility for compliance from the employer to the individual employee to ensure that employee has current required licenses and certifications.
-Applicant's financial capability must be proved.
-Response time standards are established.
-CCT programs will require County review and permit.
-Provide proof that the company has technically qualified management. Manager's resume must demonstrate at least 5 years of increasingly responsible experience.
-Written dispatch policies & procedures.
-Great focus on clinical QA/QI procedures, and the requirement to examine key indicators. Operational, Dispatch, ALS & CCT....

In all, the issue all along has been a lack of consistant medical oversight and accountability in all areas of the County. There are superstars performing EMS services in both 9-1-1 and non-emergency markets. The majority of the providers should have examined investing in sandwich shops, rather than businesses that risk lives. Effective the end of this month, the bar is raised. Congratulations to the EMS Agency and Board of Supervisors for recognizing the need.

The move is idiotic and will do nothing for public care. The only thing it will do is cost more money to operate business in LA County. Also there is experience conflict requirement between city of la and county. In city of LA you only need 1 year of experience of operating an ambulance company, in County it's 5. Wonder how they going to resolve this conflict.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
5 will now be the minimum number for new applicants.

The problem is what do they do with companys that are already in LA but do not have 5. It's only couple of company but still. To me it seems County wanted extra money and city went along with it.

ambusaurus

Forum Probie
The companies will be "grandfathered" into the LA City system, most likeley. However, if they are not currently permitted in LA County, they will have to apply within 6 months and meet the County standard of 5 years when they apply.

The EMS Agency had a responsibility to develop, and the industry absolutely needed, a system of medical control and accountability. For 89% of the cities in the County, there was none. These changes were supported by the industry (even though the cost increases), fire agencies and law enforcement.

The support speaks volumes.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
The companies will be "grandfathered" into the LA City system, most likeley. However, if they are not currently permitted in LA County, they will have to apply within 6 months and meet the County standard of 5 years when they apply.

The EMS Agency had a responsibility to develop, and the industry absolutely needed, a system of medical control and accountability. For 89% of the cities in the County, there was none. These changes were supported by the industry (even though the cost increases), fire agencies and law enforcement.

The support speaks volumes.

The changed was supported by big companys being it was way to easy to get in to the market. The 5 year experience requirement to me seems to be designed to keep new comers from working in LA county. What will happen now is company will open outside of la county for 5 years and then will come in or just hire someone with enough experience after getting some business going outside. At the end of the day it will do nothing for care of patient.

ambusaurus

Forum Probie
I guess that's one train of thought. If that's the case, however, I find it strange that not 1 of the 50+ providers affected spoke in opposition to the amendments. The information has been burning through the local industry for a number of years now.

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
These changes are WAY overdue. If anyone believes that the City of Los Angeles (DOT) provided any sort of medical oversight whatsoever, then they should be smacked.

I'm not saying that LA County is the best in the west here, but they are a d*mn sight better than City. County actually has protocols and fall out tracking, City? They want you to have 1 single pediatric nasal cannula (seriously, that is all they check sometimes) and then be on your way. ...a little exageratted, but sadly, not by much.

I know some of the City and County officials, and while both are government-run agencies, County far surpasses City. Enough greed, corruption, and BS. This place needs reform, and if that means that some of the companies suffer for it, then so be it. Patients matter more than _________Ambulance, Inc.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
These changes are WAY overdue. If anyone believes that the City of Los Angeles (DOT) provided any sort of medical oversight whatsoever, then they should be smacked.

I'm not saying that LA County is the best in the west here, but they are a d*mn sight better than City. County actually has protocols and fall out tracking, City? They want you to have 1 single pediatric nasal cannula (seriously, that is all they check sometimes) and then be on your way. ...a little exageratted, but sadly, not by much.

I know some of the City and County officials, and while both are government-run agencies, County far surpasses City. Enough greed, corruption, and BS. This place needs reform, and if that means that some of the companies suffer for it, then so be it. Patients matter more than _________Ambulance, Inc.

Companys will adopt and continue on working. If you really think that now that county is involved there will be much difference in patient care except for more red tape than you're kidding your self. Okay there might be slight difference. The respond time to patient call might be a bit quicker max 90 min unless appointment time is different. So basically you can still get around that 90 min rule.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
I guess that's one train of thought. If that's the case, however, I find it strange that not 1 of the 50+ providers affected spoke in opposition to the amendments. The information has been burning through the local industry for a number of years now.

Why do you think it took so long for this to happen. There is big difference between original propose regulation and this. It used to be that in order for you to be licensed in county you had to provide need/want from facility licensed in the county. The amount of new companys opening in the city/county will dramatically slow down if not stopped for the immediate future. It is just to hard to open up in LA now.

ambusaurus

Forum Probie
Why do you think it took so long for this to happen. There is big difference between original propose regulation and this. It used to be that in order for you to be licensed in county you had to provide need/want from facility licensed in the county. The amount of new companys opening in the city/county will dramatically slow down if not stopped for the immediate future. It is just to hard to open up in LA now.

It was tied up for a long time with the EMS Agency & County Counsel, then shipped to the State EMS Authority for their review & approval (change in local plan). From there, another swipe through the County's legal system, onto the agenda for the Board of Supervisors and now you have it.

How many companies is enough??? In the LA area, the number is now around 80, with most of the new folks focusing on dialysis. Have you read the OIG report on Ambulance Dialysis Transports at all? if not, I'd suggest it.

Follow the money.........

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
It was tied up for a long time with the EMS Agency & County Counsel, then shipped to the State EMS Authority for their review & approval (change in local plan). From there, another swipe through the County's legal system, onto the agenda for the Board of Supervisors and now you have it.

How many companies is enough??? In the LA area, the number is now around 80, with most of the new folks focusing on dialysis. Have you read the OIG report on Ambulance Dialysis Transports at all? if not, I'd suggest it.

Follow the money.........

What do you think I do? Yes it's all about the money :D Take the money away and there will only be couple of company left.

OP
OP
I

itsconstant

Forum Ride Along
my update.

Hey I haven't checked in on this website since I posted that topic.

So the outcome of that scenario was somewhat expected. One day I went to work and they gathered us around the ambulance bay and told all of us that that we are getting our last checks. To me I was exstatic because I needed to get out of that place but for others they really needed the money. So the ambulance company never fully went out they let go of about 30 employees and 20 ambulances. They kept about 6 people and gradually hired more back and they still are running today and I can say the name of the ambulance now that this was a long time ago and they are running things illegally over there, well they use to. The companies name is Mauran Ambulance.

Anywho, Ive moved on to bigger and better things but boy oh boy what an experience to be a part of the Armenian/Russian EMS scene.... not my kinda thing.

sorry to bring an old post back from the past...and I appreciate the feedback... wow this is a 917 day old post.. haha

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
I have seem this happen in LACo. They view it as the EMTs responsibility to know what you (or your company or vehicle) are allowed to pick up. Same operating outside of your scope or not being able to produce your certs on demand.

In LA County the company and EACH vehicle must be certified to operate in unincorporated areas. Same for LA City. Both are application and inspection processes specific to ambulances. Most other cities in the county require only a business tax license for the city which is standard business practice across all industries.

Can I ask what company you work for? I know a few guilty of this. Its always a sad situation because its usually a dispatcher (or even dispatcher at the direction of a manager) that's the one knowingly breaking the law. The fired EMTs will most likely be black listed from working in LA county...

Yes it is that messed up.