My company has been cited!!!

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
As I operate extensively in both Los Angeles City and County, I can tell you that I am almost certain that these citations are coming from the Los Angeles City Department of Transportation, as their officers have been very active lately. Los Angeles County generally doesn't bother to check on the status of the vehicles operating within their jurisdiction for compliance with Los Angeles County mandates. You don't even need certification through LA County DHS EMS Agency to operate within Los Angeles County as long as you confine yourself to LA City limits. However, I will admit that I am assuming that this is a City problem vs. a County problem based on the current climate in Los Angeles City. I don't know for sure whether this is a city or county issue. All I meant was that should a company loose its ability to operate within the City of Los Angeles, that company could still have a chance of staying operational by serving unicorporated cities of Los Angeles County wherein Los Angeles City holds no jurisdiction (e.g., Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena, Santa Clarita, Culver City, Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, West Hollywood, etc.). LA is not LA is not LA. You have Reference Numbers in the EMS Agency Prehospital Care Policy Manual that conflict with Los Angeles County Municipal Code 7.16 which conflict with Los Angeles City Ordinance and yet all of these laws apply to "LA".

I think you misunderstood me . Yes this is 99% likely coming from LA LADOT. You do not need county permit LA County to operate in WH, BH, SM, Burbank, Glendale as all of those city are incorporated. LA county only hold jurisdiction in city that is unincorporated. To operate in WH for example is simple business license one sheet and $25 and you're good to go. SM is similar but you need to get pd permit(owner(s) need to have background done through pd). Burbank got own rules, can get approval in couple of weeks. Glendale is a nightmare, worse then even LA.

IAems

Forum Crew Member
Home sweet home, am I right?

Judging by your knowledge your putting up with the same daily $%#@ that I am. Seriously, lets pack up our tents and move out to Kern. :wacko:

firecoins

IFT Puppet
Los Angelas and California sound retarded. I am staying in New York. NY is less retarded than LA. Amazing!

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Los Angelas and California sound retarded. I am staying in New York. NY is less retarded than LA. Amazing!

In my opinion CA should be renamed to business killer state. From LA city to the state they seem to be looking at how to kill business instead of how to create more jobs :(

Handsome Rob

Forum Crew Member
Judging by your knowledge your putting up with the same daily $%#@ that I am. Seriously, lets pack up our tents and move out to Kern. :wacko:

LMFAO...so you can work for Hall, where the owner of the towns 911 service provider is also the mayor of that town! Yessssss!

firecoins

IFT Puppet
In my opinion CA should be renamed to business killer state. From LA city to the state they seem to be looking at how to kill business instead of how to create more jobs :(

seems like it. Private ambulance companies with their own stupidity are bad enough without local and state government stupidity. Yeah take a mug shot of an EMT because he picked up a patient and you wonder how California has budget problems.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Wow! That is messed up! Can someone with some inside knowledge explain WHY these asinine rules exist? Are they really just to curb expansion?
Why would companies operating in the area simply not certify all of it's staff and vehicles in for both county and city? Are licenses not transferable for truck replacements (take one truck OOS, one in, license transfer)? Is all of this for IFT or 911 as well? Do the county and city have different equipment or supply requirements for the trucks? Specific training or education for the EMTs?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Wow! That is messed up! Can someone with some inside knowledge explain WHY these asinine rules exist? Are they really just to curb expansion?
Why would companies operating in the area simply not certify all of it's staff and vehicles in for both county and city? Are licenses not transferable for truck replacements (take one truck OOS, one in, license transfer)? Is all of this for IFT or 911 as well? Do the county and city have different equipment or supply requirements for the trucks? Specific training or education for the EMTs?

At the end of a day it comes down to money and time. For both country and LA you have to pay yearly permit fee for each vehicle that is licensed. While in the big picture that is not much it is still costing money. Also there is period that it takes before you can get sticker on your vehicle. It takes average 4-5 month in LA and about 3-4 in the country. That is a big problem when you get new contract and do not have enough vehicles to satisfy it at that second or just more people want to you use your ambulance.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
EMTs?

Forgot to answer this part. They are designed on paper to keep competition from getting to high. I say on paper because in reality if you know how it works getting approval is not hard. In LA County it's a bit harder as you need to provide proof(a letter) from someone that works in LA Country that they are in need of your service. If you work there long enough getting such thing is not a problem In LA City they drop that requirement so that is even easier. Everything you say on this paper of why you want more permits is taken at face value.

Rsion4191

Forum Probie
Actually , LA DOT does permit an LA COUNTY EMT to transport from inside LA CITY to another city . But , under two circumstances .

First . That LA COUNTY EMT better have a LA DOT permit , also (DUH !) . & The second just told to me this last week at Hollywood Community Hospital by LA DOT official doing a DOT permit inspection .. If an LA County EMT DOES NOT have a permit , the only way they would be able to do a call is if in fact the call is a wait & return . BUT , there's more to it . BOTH EMTs must stay WITH the patient at the MD's office , family clinic , etc . while the patient is being seen for it to be considered allowed . For example , if I'm a LA county EMT that picks up Jane Doe in Downey to bring her to her OB/GYN appointment in LA City , my partner and I NEEED to stay with her for it to be allowed by DOT guidelines .

IAems

Forum Crew Member
LA City Permits

No kidding, when a provider requests to license new ambulances with LA DOT, you actually have to put in writing that your not looking for any new business, you just want to improve service to the clients and patients you already have. Everybody knows it's BS, but it's the language that LA City wants to see. You actually have to promise that you want more ambulances so that you won't compete.

It's all money. LA is a big city that requires a lot of money to run. What really bugs me is that LA County EMS won't get some huevos already and start forcing City to respect it a little bit. Unless I'm mistaken, California law leaves EMS up to the local COUNTY agency and LA City has just been running rampant for the last quarter century, running EMS in LA without any right to do so.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Actually , LA DOT does permit an LA COUNTY EMT to transport from inside LA CITY to another city . But , under two circumstances .

First . That LA COUNTY EMT better have a LA DOT permit , also (DUH !) . & The second just told to me this last week at Hollywood Community Hospital by LA DOT official doing a DOT permit inspection .. If an LA County EMT DOES NOT have a permit , the only way they would be able to do a call is if in fact the call is a wait & return . BUT , there's more to it . BOTH EMTs must stay WITH the patient at the MD's office , family clinic , etc . while the patient is being seen for it to be considered allowed . For example , if I'm a LA county EMT that picks up Jane Doe in Downey to bring her to her OB/GYN appointment in LA City , my partner and I NEEED to stay with her for it to be allowed by DOT guidelines .

I guess that exception makes sense. Never thought about it. Basically you're not really transferring patient so i guess it do not county as drop off. Learn something new everyday but I do not see any company doing that. It is just crazy.

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
No kidding, when a provider requests to license new ambulances with LA DOT, you actually have to put in writing that your not looking for any new business, you just want to improve service to the clients and patients you already have. Everybody knows it's BS, but it's the language that LA City wants to see. You actually have to promise that you want more ambulances so that you won't compete.

It's all money. LA is a big city that requires a lot of money to run. What really bugs me is that LA County EMS won't get some huevos already and start forcing City to respect it a little bit. Unless I'm mistaken, California law leaves EMS up to the local COUNTY agency and LA City has just been running rampant for the last quarter century, running EMS in LA without any right to do so.
County got no jurisdiction over city being it's incorporated. So not much LA County can do about city of la or any other city. As for your first point, ye it's crazy. To the question how will it have impact on competition the standard answer is there will be no impact being that population is getting older and we will compete in the area that do not have sufficient ambulances etc. I am sure every company want to say this, we do not give a crap what will happen to our competition and in fact would love to see them go out of business.

JPINFV

Gadfly
County got no jurisdiction over city being it's incorporated.

It depends on how the law is written. For example, LA City can't all of a sudden write their own EMS protocol and tell LACo LEMSA to go take a hike. Probably the best example of preemption in California firearm laws. Laws regarding firearms at the city and county level are all preempted by state law, regardless of the status of the city.

ambusaurus

Forum Probie
Time to check your stats.... effective 7/28/2011, LA County EMS will be regulating ambulance services in every area of Los Angeles County. It no longer matters that the city is incorporated, charter or unincorporated. This includes the City of Los Angeles, and has been bought off on by LADOT. There is a 6 month window for all current non-LA County permitted providers to apply. No application, adios. In addition, all of the cities that require seperate business licenses in their city still maintain the right to collect those fees (taxes). The control and medical oversight is long overdue.

Anyone looking to start from scratch in LA County will most likely be looking at a 1 year minimum wait for licensure. There are currently 50+ active companies that will be required to submit within the next 6 months.

The times, they are a changin'!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Time to check your stats.... effective 7/28/2011, LA County EMS will be regulating ambulance services in every area of Los Angeles County. It no longer matters that the city is incorporated, charter or unincorporated. This includes the City of Los Angeles, and has been bought off on by LADOT. There is a 6 month window for all current non-LA County permitted providers to apply. No application, adios. In addition, all of the cities that require seperate business licenses in their city still maintain the right to collect those fees (taxes). The control and medical oversight is long overdue.

Anyone looking to start from scratch in LA County will most likely be looking at a 1 year minimum wait for licensure. There are currently 50+ active companies that will be required to submit within the next 6 months.

The times, they are a changin'!

[citation needed]

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
[citation needed]

Unfortunately it's true

http://ems.dhs.lacounty.gov/AmbulanceLicensing/AmbLic.htm

"Amended Ambulance Ordinance: Revisions to the Los Angeles County Ambulance Ordinance and business license fees become effective on JULY 28, 2011. Among other changes, all ground and air ambulance operators who transport patients originating in Los Angeles County will be required to obtain a Los Angeles County Business License. Existing providers will have six (6) months from this date to submit a Business License Application. To review all of the changes to Title 7, Business Licenses, click the links below:"

JPINFV

Gadfly
Does this change anything besides requiring ambulances operating in LA City to be licensed by both LA City AND LA County?

looker

Forum Asst. Chief
Does this change anything besides requiring ambulances operating in LA City to be licensed by both LA City AND LA County?
You can have ambulance in la without needing to have medical directory at least for BLS. That is not the case in the county.