Moving

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
I can't stand moving. See, I would have said that I hated moving, but I always remind my students that hate is a strong word. I hate moving.

My family has a long tradition of breaking every single object while moving.

So, I need your practical moving advice. I have a uhaul, lots of boxes, lots of tape, and two dozen moving blankets.

When you're done giving me advice maybe you can send me a check for a moving company. Yeah, that's what I want.

MedicPrincess

Forum Deputy Chief
Have a "moving party." Invite everyone you know. Bribe them with food and beer. If you get enough people assembled you wont even have to do very much of your own lifting.

And then, make sure you are plenty drunk. This will prevent you from caring if everything you own gets broke.

Next, and this is very important. Make sure you know where your cat is AT ALL TIMES! Failure to do this may result you in standing in a dumpster going through stuff, "just in case" he got into a box/bag and was taken out.

Next, I'd say drink some more. Its VERY important you hydrate with beer/vodka/Tequila....what ever. Those things don't travel to well, so you may as well drink them up.

Think TALL. Take some Tylenol, Ativan, Lexapro, and Lortab. The Lortab is going to make those parts of your body you forgot you had stop hurting. The Ativan will help you get to sleep the night before you start driving, very important to be well rested. And the Tylenol will take care of the hangover your bound to have. And the Lexapro will keep you from caring.

And finally....Wash your T.A.L.L. coctail down with some more Beer. Again, VERY important your hydrated.

Good Luck Matt....and I'll think of you, wish you the best....and if miss you if you do what I say.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
OMG.... T.A.L.L. - I'll have to remember that.

Actual, real advice, stolen from my parents... pack the "important stuff" you'll need to live on for the first couple of days - clothing, hygine stuff, Toaster, coffee maker, etc... in boxes... these are the LAST ones to go into the Uhaul, and get put away appropriatly as soon as you get there and start to unpack.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
What can I say? Princess covered it all! We're packing too, I always start a month in advance, then procrastinate for 28 days and do all my packing the 2 days left.

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
The g/f & I are moving too. But we're only moving about 4 miles. I plan to frantically throw things into the truck and then put them into their new place.

Oh, and I'm also throwing a TON of stuff away first. The less I have to move, the better. :)

Celtictigeress

Forum Captain
heh w just call TMO with the AF and let THEM pack and mov...(Heh they hav a 400 pound solid Oak Gun cabint going in the upstairs Bedroom.....ha ha... PAYBACK for the sudden move)

Princess covered it...For the moving party dad would spike watermelon w/ everclear and lt it sit overnight in the fridge...cut it (NOTHING tastes better in the summer thn watermelon...and you got tipsy off it) Mom would make her famous fruit punch (Spiked with everclear or vodka) Beer, a grillout...

And us kids played in the pool or with the horses..I DO remember the parents acting like retards by the end of the night, w would have a bonfire and they were all but dancing skyclad around it....Great way to get everyone together

fm_emt

Useless without caffeine
EMTPrincess said:
Next, I'd say drink some more. Its VERY important you hydrate with beer/vodka/Tequila....what ever. Those things don't travel to well, so you may as well drink them up.

You owe me a new keyboard. :p

OP
OP
MMiz

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Princess,

I honestly can't remember reading a funnier post in a long time. I had the "Best. Post. Ever." line ready to go, but thought it deserved more. Then I quoted each of your lines with my response, but I felt as though it just wasn't enough...

Folks, let me introduce the EMTLife.com 2006 Funniest Post of the Year Candidate. We will vote in December for a winner. I got my money on this thread.

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Nice...

Random Comment of the day - I spewed milk at my portable DVD player last night. I was watching the begining of Scrubs Season 3, and I can't even remember what it was I laughed at, just that I was laughing REALLY hard.