moving to denver

dave0811

Forum Probie
Ok, so Im moving to Denver co. and I just want to run somethings by you guys and gals to make sure im not missing anything, so I know I have to do life scan for the CBI and FBI, I also need to send in the application for initial cert. for Colorado. Now for the ones who have moved from state to state is there anything else I can do before my move? I know basics do IV therapy, so ill probley have to do that once i get to my dest. because san diego wont even let us check blood sugars. so any advice or tips from when you changed states that you wish you knew would help me a lot. Thanks!

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
CBI and fingerprinting about sums it up. You can schedule an IV class fairly easily at a community college when you arrive. If you don't mind, where are you going to be working?

Last edited by a moderator:

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
Space

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
dave0811

dave0811

Forum Probie
ok that sounds good, I figured I just wanted to make sure i wasn't missing anything. and so far I dont have a company yet, still looking and will start sending out applications soon. Ill probley try and get some ride alongs in with some before the move also

chaz90

Community Leader
Community Leader
I'd look at AMR in Denver, Boulder, Longmont, and Colorado Springs. Northglenn is a pretty good place too. I'd avoid Rural Metro in Aurora like the plague if I were you. It's really not a great place to work. Up north a little bit, Poudre Valley and Thompson Valley are probably some of the best places to work in the state. Best of luck, and let us know how it turns out!

JeffDHMC

Forum Lieutenant
You'll need a FBI background check for sure. While you're waiting on that you can apply for a 90 day one time provisional cert so you can work. The downside is that it's expired at the end of the 90 so if you still don't have your background back from the feds you cannot work until you do.

If you are NREMT you can easily get your CO cert providing you're background is clean.

Dept Public Health has everything you need to know.

http://www.colorado.gov/cs/Satellite/CDPHE-EM/CBON/1251589737726

ColoradoMedic

Forum Ride Along
AMR Colorado Springs

You should definitely look into AMR Colorado Springs. I hated living there, but you can't ask for a better place to learn and start, especially as a basic. I say this because you automatically get put on an ALS unit and don't have to go through months or years being on a BLS/transfer car. Its a super busy system. Great people.

Engineered

Forum Probie
If you are interested in a job in a hospital, I would suggest telemetry/ECG class as well before you apply, they look for it. Also, everything moves a bit faster if you hand deliver it, when they put a face to a name, they seem to care more.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
You should definitely look into AMR Colorado Springs. I hated living there, but you can't ask for a better place to learn and start, especially as a basic. I say this because you automatically get put on an ALS unit and don't have to go through months or years being on a BLS/transfer car. Its a super busy system. Great people.

Fulltime employees start on wheelchair vans and then move up to an ambulance spot when one opens up.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader

So why does the job posting indicate otherwise?

"Employees will be expected to move to the 911 ambulance side as a practicing EMT basic when space is available. This is done by interview with no consideration to hiring date."

Part timers do not.