Moving to Dallas; Help.

Aioha

Forum Probie
Me and my girlfriend are moving to Dallas; North section of it. We both worked for IFT company in CA for about a year prior. We are looking for IFT companies in Dallas or nearby. We do not mind commuting.

Is it the same that IFT pays more than 911 in Dallas as it was in CA(LA)?

I have tried looking online and on this website and have found that people do not like IFT companies, haha.

Thank you for anyone who could help me and my girlfriend out.

Achilles

Forum Moron
Welcome to the forums, there's a few people here that love in the DFW area, so you shouldn't have an issue finding good information.
Good luck!

OP
OP
A

Aioha

Forum Probie
Welcome to the forums, there's a few people here that love in the DFW area, so you shouldn't have an issue finding good information.
Good luck!

Thank you :) I read these forums all the time... I tried to message them in a PM before I posted but the website will not allow it. So I had to make a post. :sad:

OP
OP
A

Aioha

Forum Probie
Guardian by usalsfyre

Thank you. Do you happen to know pay?

(unable to quote links, need 5 posts, lol.)

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Whenever you can PM drop me one. I'll say we're competitive for the area but not interested in putting numbers out in an open forum. Others in the area include:

Careflite
Allegiance
Acadian
AMR

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
OP
A

Aioha

Forum Probie
Are there any other IFT companies out there? and I PM'd you, as I am able to do that now, haha.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
i plan on moving to the DFW area in the near future and i am confused as to how to have my certifications transferred from california to texas. my california EMT card will be expiring in august (same time i plan on moving), but my national registry is still good for a couple years. i guess my question is if it is necessary to recertify in california if i am moving. because i have my national registry, and I able to go to texas and just certify in the state? sorry if this makes no sense at all, i can't think of a good way to word it.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
to add to the above post:
i looked on the texas department of state health services website and there is an out of state verification form that needs to be filled out by "state officials only". how do i get somebody from the state to fill this form out?

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
to add to the above post:
i looked on the texas department of state health services website and there is an out of state verification form that needs to be filled out by "state officials only". how do i get somebody from the state to fill this form out?
I'd call them and ask what counts as a state official. I'm betting it's someone from the Department of EMS/Health in your home state.

MikloHP

Forum Probie
@ brian328: I recently moved here from out-of-state as well. The process is quite lengthy, so the sooner you get a jump on it the better. This is how to do it 1) go to the Texas EMS website and print out the EMS out-of-state reciprocity application. 2) Fill it out, and 3) take your Verification Form A (page 3 or 4 in the application I believe) to the EMS agency in LA and ask for Lucy Adams. She will fill it out and fax it to Austin. I am assuming you are LA certified. 4) Make a check out to Texas Department of State Health Services for $126. 5) Make a front and back photocopy of all of your certs including your NREMT and CPR card. 6) Include your app, check and copy of your certs in an envelope addressed to Texas Department of State Health Services Cash Receipts Branch, MC 2003
P.O. Box 149347 Austin, Texas 78714-9347. While you are out at the EMS Agency, I recommend mailing your app at the same time. There is a post office across the street from the EMS agency in Santa Fe Springs on the SW corner.

I did not have my NREMT current, so I had to take a NREMT Assessment Test which was essentially the NREMT test without the cert at the end.

Now you play the waiting game. The process as it was explained to me takes about 5 weeks from time of mail to get to the right person. The Austin DHS houses everything medical from acupuncture and dentistry to medical doctors. Everything must go through them. They have their own mail room which is anything but productive. After they receive your app, it takes an additional 2-3 weeks to process it. My app took about 8 weeks from time of mail to receipt of cert.

You can check the status of your app by a) calling (512) 834-6700 or b) going to the Texas EMS website and clicking on the Check Certification Status link

Hope this helps!!
MikloHP

brian328

Forum Crew Member
thank you miklo. i am not certified in la (i am in oc), but i understand what you are talking about. i have my national registry so not an issue for me. my only problem is my state/county emt cert expires in august (the same time i planned on moving to dallas), so it is going to make things a bit difficult. i can't really get a heard start on the paperwork until i get my recertification complete. thanks for the help, i am going to get on it ASAP.

brian328

Forum Crew Member
i wonder if it would be easier to just move to texas with my national registry and get all squared away there. i would take a class or whatever i need to do and get my texas card instead of transferring my CA card. opinions?

MikloHP

Forum Probie
The only problem with just moving here is that you won't have a job and you wont have a valid cert. To get a valid cert would take roughly 8 weeks. Most of the places here in Texas are requesting medics. If you start the process now while you still have a valid CA cert you should be ok. It may be worth it to just renew your cert. I forget what it costs, but at least you will have it.

MikloHP

Forum Probie
By the way, it is totally different here in Texas. Everything is far away, and everything is slower. I thought like you before I moved out here and I am still without a job. Its rough. I would start your app for reciprocity now and get that ball rolling first.

OP
OP
A

Aioha

Forum Probie
By the way, it is totally different here in Texas. Everything is far away, and everything is slower. I thought like you before I moved out here and I am still without a job. Its rough. I would start your app for reciprocity now and get that ball rolling first.

How long have you been looking? are you looking just for 911? or is IFT good for you? What companies have you tried and what ones seem like they are a good company.

MikloHP

Forum Probie
In regards to the ability to get licensed here in Texas, it's totally different than California. In Cali, every county has their own EMS agency to process your apps. Here in Texas, the EMS office is at the DHS in Austin. I Live in East Texas, that's easily a 5-6 hour drive from here. Plus, in Cali, it only takes about two weeks to process your app.

Instead of saying "without a job" I should have said "without a cert." however to get a job I need a cert. Either way you put it, it is still a long process.

OP
OP
A

Aioha

Forum Probie
It is a long process. We both have been waiting 5 weeks now for our certs back. We are now going around asking about EMS companies (one of the reasons I made this thread). In CA it was quicker, but pay was also less. Haha.