Motorcycle EMS riders????

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
You're a target.

If the Rednecks don't get you the Twisted Gods will send someone else after you who looks innocent enough.

Biking is a sport; protect yourself accordingly. Fear will do you no good, only preparation will lessen the odds of your getting creamed. It's a game with high stakes that you must learn to play consciously. Casual kills.

(firetender gets off soapbox)

Minus the melodrama, I tend to agree. I did an MSF BRC course this past weekend to see how it would go, and was pretty pleasantly surprised. The instructors were both good, safe, avid riders. They knew a lot about the mechanics of motion and were happy to teach.

They did ask one student to leave. During the very first exercise with the bikes on, when you are just supposed to walk the bike forward using the clutch, she rolled on the throttle, hard. It scared her apparently so she popped the clutch and went shooting forward and laid it down nice. That is understandable, but by the end of the day the class had been through 6 or 7 lessons and she still couldn't control the clutch and was regularly going off-course. The instructors were afraid that she would either hurt herself or another student, so asked her to come back and do a smaller "Absolute Beginner" course.

That said, I'm still slightly concerned about how easy it seems to be to get your M class license (at least here in MD). Everyone that that tested for it passed, and there were at least 2 or 3 people in the class that I didn't think were ready for primetime (one got the bare minimum passing score).

Monkey

Forum Lieutenant
I think it's called "chlorinating the gene pool"

I have mixed feelings when I see a rice rocket doing a wheelie down the freeway in rush hour traffic. I know it'll be one less person on the road soon, but on the other hand, my insurance rates are going to go up.

but seriously, those that as you say "aren't ready for primetime" oh yeah, lots of those and it's sad. However, it's a game of numbers... regardless how much you train, you just have to get out there and stay within your limits, and keep dodging cars and hope for the best.

The old saying... There are 2 types of riders, those that have been down, and those about to go down. Been riding for a LOOOOOOOOONG time, been down hard twice and stupidly a few times (driveway, dirt lot, redlight-flirting with hot chick in convertable(longer story)).

Those that are weak need guys like you to mentor them in their riding, ;)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
According to the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) in the United States, there are basically five types of drivers' licenses. Most people have a Class C driver's license, which allows them to drive any single vehicle as long as the weight falls under 26,000 pounds (11793 kg). A Class D license is a provisional C license in which the driver is not allowed to operate a vehicle between 12:00 midnight and 6:00 a.m. The third type of driver's license, Type M, is for people driving motorcycles. Class B license, one of the most difficult of all licenses to obtain, is the fourth category.

A Class B license entails the driver to operate vehicles weighing over 26,000 pounds (11793 kg) in addition to any of the vehicles contained in Class C. Class B license also allows the holder to drive buses, farm labor vehicles, and any housecar or trailer over under 45 feet (14 m). The final Class Type is A, which is essentially the same as Class B license, except that drivers are allowed to operate truck tractor-semi trailer combinations. With a Class B license, a driver is not allowed to pull a trailing unit weighing over 10,000 pounds (4536 kg); with an A license, he can.

So, essentially:

Class C is for the every day driver. Class M is for people who want to ride motorcycles. Class A/B are for big vehicles.

Since I ride a motorcycle, on my license it says "Class CM"

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I have an O license (operators) with a C (chauffeur) and M (motorcycle) endorsement.

Chauffeur allows me to drive limos, taxis, and passenger vans that carry more than 16 people.

Last edited by a moderator:

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Yeah... no more riding with jeans. Time to go by some textile pants.

Fastforward to 1:08

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfiIxf29JQ[/youtube]

phideux

Forum Captain
I'm not riding right now, but soon. I have a 1975 Harley, I took it apart for a rebuild. I'm in the putting back together stage now. Motor is in the frame, wheels are on. I need to paint the tank/fenders, rewire, and a few little odds and ends. Rebuilt the motor. Hopefully It'll be back together in another month or two. It will be my transport back and forth to school. I also race jetskis.B)

I haven't looked at this thread for awhile. I did finish the old Harley.
IMAG0015.jpg

Now I'm in the middle of doing up an old Goldwing,
Before:
CIMG0002.jpg

As of this afternoon:
IMG_20110603_163129.jpg
[/IMG]
Next I wanna get an older Duc SS.

freebyrd

Forum Crew Member
Yeah... no more riding with jeans. Time to go by some textile pants.

Fastforward to 1:08

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zyfiIxf29JQ[/youtube]
nice road rash on the knee, the harley in my avatar went down just like that, with me on it, for the same reason i panic grabbed the front brake and turned to keep from rear ending a car that panic stopped right in front of me.

my fault ,i was following to close.

the bike broke the shift lever and scraped up the primary cover and put a quarter sized dent on the tank.
but i drove it home, changed the cover replaced shifter lever and been running fine ever since.

i have been riding for well over 20 years and if you ride that long you are going to drop a few motorcycles, its in my blood, i'll never stop riding but i have been incredibly lucky to not end up in the back of an ambulance.

the worst one i was ever in was when i was about 24.
i was riding a honda 750 supersport, it was a late summer night and off towards the mountains here in california there was an amazing electrical thunderstorm going on and i wanted to get closer to it.

there was no helmet law then so i wasn't wearing a bucket, and it was hot and humid so i had on a pair of cutoff jean shorts and a t shirt and nikes :rolleyes:
so far so good right? (i know i was a dumbass) anyway.

i start riding with a friend of mine and were tear assing down this long back country straight away road, getting closer and closer to the thunderstorm.
it was just an electrical storm so far,no rain at all! and we were right under it.

we were probably cruising at about 40 or so and it went from no rain to a downpour in about a half a second, it was so quick and so shocking because the rain was ice cold that i instinctively grabbed the front brake hard..bloop! down i went. B)

the bike and i slid together down the pavement for about 20 0r 25 yards, shooting sparks everywhere, right when i went down i consciously kicked the bike away from me so i didn't get rolled on by it.
bottom line i barely got a scratch.
it hadn't rained for months and the road was like a slip and slide from all the oil and i just kind of slid along on my butt and back until i stopped. got up dusted myself off and rode back home.
i was an incredibly lucky dumbass and your results may vary,
so i don't recommend this as a way to spend a summer evening :)

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Picked up my Ducati this past weekend, rode it from Central PA back down to the DC area. Loving it (although my friends are all giving me 2 years tops before I want a cruiser) so far! Needs to go in for its 600 mile service before I've had it a week!

GUQP3.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Nice! 696 Stealth? My next bike will either be a small Monster or a ZX636

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Got pulled over for 30+ over the speed limit.. walked away with just a ticket for no proof of insurance. I'll get that taken care of tomorrow. yay for not being arrested.
Stupid road had a 25mph speed limit due curves. Got pulled over at almost 60.

dixie_flatline

Forum Captain
Nice! 696 Stealth? My next bike will either be a small Monster or a ZX636

It's actually a 796 ABS (well, technically all of the 2011 models now except for the 696 Dark/Stealth are ABS). The red frame is the give-away; all the 796's have the red trellis frame. At first it bothered me because I liked the all-black look of the 696 more, but the splash of red is growing on me. I also like the single-sided swingarm a lot more than what you get on the 696. Overall though there aren't a ton of differences between the two small-ish Monsters. I'm definitely changing the front sprocket from 15T down to 14T at the first service, and I'm considering the upgraded CF exhaust slip-ons. I've already grabbed a tail bag and more-comfy touring seat.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
A lady blew through a yield sign when I had the right of way. Luckily it's a common enough occurrence at that part of road so I was expecting it, even though I made eye contact with her up to the very point where I had to hit my brakes.

Have it on video but alas I cussed quite a bit.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Disclaimer: Strong language. I edited it so most of the cussing is out, but it's still present.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfHSScQZHbU[/youtube]