Motivation Talk

RALS504

Forum Lieutenant
So Im going to give a talk to high schoolers about EMS as a career. Im looking for suggestions to include in my talk. My thought were to talk about subjects that relate to EMS like biology, math, English, Psychology, & Medical Terminology.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
I have a feeling you may get some "interesting" feedback on this one. Fact is, EMS as a "career" is actually a highly debated opinion. Many consider it a "job" and not a career due to the extremely low entry requirements and pay. However, with that said there are still opportunities to be had, I enjoy my time in EMS. You could speak on some of the opportunities to be had, especially with those who choose to complete a higher education such as competitive HEMS jobs, promotional opportunities with municipal agencies, Furthermore, some people use it to bridge to MD,DO,PA, ect. You could use these aspects to try to motivate them. Sure, encourage them to do well in English, Biology, ect ect. However, don't sugar coat it to much, reality is they could drop out of high school, get a GED, and become an EMT 6 weeks later.

Last edited by a moderator:

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I have a feeling you may get some "interesting" feedback on this one. Fact is, EMS as a "career" is actually a highly debated opinion. Many consider it a "job" and not a career due to the extremely low entry requirements and pay. However, with that said there are still opportunities to be had, I enjoy my time in EMS. You could speak on some of the opportunities to be had, especially with those who choose to complete a higher education such as competitive HEMS jobs, promotional opportunities with municipal agencies, Furthermore, some people use it to bridge to MD,DO,PA, ect. You could use these aspects to try to motivate them. Sure, encourage them to do well in English, Biology, ect ect. However, don't sugar coat it to much, reality is they could drop out of high school, get a GED, and become an EMT 2-3 weeks later later.

fixed that for you

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I'll take "Things that make me sad" for $1000 Alex.

Unfortunate, but so true...

Yep... I think one of the accelerated courses is va was advertised on the site a few days ago. Didn't even need a GED ... Just 16yo and the money.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Tell them they will see people at their worst because of low sleep, illness, injury, social isolation…and then there are the pts, too. (Couldn't resist).

All the above but they will be able to make a difference whether the pt thinks so or not sometimes.

It can impart "people" skills and knowledge useful throughout life.
And it will look a hell of a lot better than "flipped burger" on a resume'.

If the students are thinking about a career in medicine, this is an opportunity to learn about how physical and mental pathology and trauma really presents.

Useful for potential future law enforcement too, learning interview skills and seeing behind the front and the TV image we all get all the time.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Wow, you guys can't come up with ANYTHING positive and motivational to say about your own chosen career? That's honestly sad.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I think anytime one of us says something positive, there's 15 people here ready to jump on top and bang it into the ground.

I work for a single role paramedic agency, that actually could be considered a career department. Pays good, the shifts are okay, they do relatively decent medicine. I don't have much bad to say about it.

Of course, somebody will say… You should be a nurse. You should become a PA. You should be a… Whatever.

Ya know...

I actually enjoy working as a paramedic. I'm happy with my choice. Isn't that enough?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Wow, you guys can't come up with ANYTHING positive and motivational to say about your own chosen career? That's honestly sad.

Well considering you left the same profession for something more career-worthy, I think that's fairly hypocritical. Of course there can be positive things said. There are just as many negatives, too. It's not an option I regularly push people into, as it really isn't a true career for most- some, but not most. Sorry for being a realist.

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Well considering you left the same profession for something more career-worthy, I think that's fairly hypocritical. Of course there can be positive things said. There are just as many negatives, too. It's not an option I regularly push people into, as it really isn't a true career for most- some, but not most. Sorry for being a realist.

Well, considering I never "left" EMS, I think maybe you are confusing me with someone else.

Even if I had left, I don't see how simply pointing out that those who make a living on it ought to be able to find some positives to say about it is necessarily hypocritical. Certainly no more hypocritical than someone who willingly remains a representative of the profession, yet mocks the idea that it can be a good career.

mycrofft

You get to drive fast…..sometimes….

mycrofft

I'm the one who left working ambulance... and became a RN with a Sheriff Dept and in the Guard.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
I'm the one who left working ambulance... and became a RN with a Sheriff Dept and in the Guard.
Not only that, but you became a most righteous curmudgeon to boot! Not to worry, eventually they'll get off your lawn. :rofl:

I'd say that being an EMT is very much an unglamorous job where people rarely think twice about you unless they need you and you might get a "thank you" letter only a very few times. On the flip side, you'll do things that most people never will experience in their lives. Sure, the training can be done in just a few weeks and it's a bit intense but it's really not bad training because you'll remember those basics for a LONG time.

Becoming a Paramedic, as you know, is a much more involved deal. Often it's a terminal license in that the only way that you can advance is to change careers, or if you're lucky, find your way to another line of work off the ambulance where you're still doing Paramedic work.

If I could comfortably afford to live on a Paramedic's wage, I'd happily do that!

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
There is also a difference in becoming an EMT and becoming a paramedic, or working as a paramedic at private ambulance versus working as a paramedic at a municipal agency or a different state, or another country. There are viable and rewarding careers in EMS, but they are not the majority of our work force.
I would not discourage anyone who is interested in EMS, but why lie to them or sugar coat things? Fact of the matter is you really can drop out of high school and become an EMT in 2 or 3 weeks. That is the reality which can not be argued. And now, people at McDonald's will make the same or more than you because the minimum wage in Seattle is now $15.00 an hour.
I realize this sounds pessimistic, and also confusing since I myself like being a paramedic and would encourage folks to advocate for EMS. Fact of the matter is, EMS needs some serious help, that is why I am going to try and remain in EMS after graduate school and I would encourage others to do the same, but I would also not sugar coat things. We need more good members, but were just going to keep losing them or recruit the wrong people if were not honest.

rails

Forum Lieutenant
Premium Member
There is also a difference in becoming an EMT and becoming a paramedic, or working as a paramedic at private ambulance versus working as a paramedic at a municipal agency or a different state, or another country. There are viable and rewarding careers in EMS, but they are not the majority of our work force.
I would not discourage anyone who is interested in EMS, but why lie to them or sugar coat things? Fact of the matter is you really can drop out of high school and become an EMT in 2 or 3 weeks. That is the reality which can not be argued. And now, people at McDonald's will make the same or more than you because the minimum wage in Seattle is now $15.00 an hour.
I realize this sounds pessimistic, and also confusing since I myself like being a paramedic and would encourage folks to advocate for EMS. Fact of the matter is, EMS needs some serious help, that is why I am going to try and remain in EMS after graduate school and I would encourage others to do the same, but I would also not sugar coat things. We need more good members, but were just going to keep losing them or recruit the wrong people if were not honest.

Good points. While EMS can have certain perks in some instances (e.g. 24 hours on & 48 hours off shifts, overtime if available, etc.), it is often a lower-paying career. Most people that I have known who become (and remain as) EMTs or paramedics are service-minded people. I sort of see it as a calling more than anything else.

Rin

Forum Captain
I enjoy being out & about meeting people, working with a partner/teamwork but also having independence, and minimal supervision (certainly no 'busy-work'). We get to think, make decisions, AND use our bodies.

There's some traveling, we get to see some interesting things behind the scenes at hospitals & various businesses (it's a good job for the curious), plus helicopters/planes etc up close if that sort of thing floats your boat ;)

And all the while we get to help people and do something worthwhile. Yes, the pay is bad, but I enjoy my time at work so I don't feel the desperate need to amass piles of cash so that I can cram extra enjoyment and living into my off hours.

EMS is a good job for some personality types. Money isn't everything.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
There is nothing wrong with liking your job/career in EMS. There is also certainty nothing wrong with being a guest speaker for kids, I have done the same and gone to schools, but it was for "safety presentations."
However, there is something wrong with low standards and complacency in our profession. I think patients deserve better providers, and providers deserve better education and higher pay. I think we need to take responsibility for our own profession, publish our own research, contribute to evidence based medicine, pass our own policy's, and not let other providers (eg MD's) do it completely for us. None of that can start until enough EMS providers get a higher education and are placed into key leadership positions.