Motion Sickness

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
I always premedicate patients if possible. We have a standing order for the helicopter of either Benadryl or Phenergan low dosage to decrease nausea and increase drowsiness to seep through the trip.

For medics it is a more difficult situation. I worry about those requiring medication to function on the truck. It is prohibited at most flight services for personal to take many medications.

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
My solution is to try to be able to see out the front window. I also am OK if I sit in the airway chair and sit straight back. If you are sitting on the bench, it feels "worse", I think.

Jon

motownems

Forum Probie
Somebody I think already said this. Do not look out the windows. And hey if you still get sick in the back just tell your partner that you need to drive :p

Oregon

Forum Crew Member
I've also heard that it helps to sniff alcohol wipes which works for all kinds of nausea. Just open it up and wave it under your motion sick co-workers nose.

I've tried the alcohol wipe thing on myself, and it seems to work. I volly for SAR, and driving those long, winding roads to some remote scene always left me green and dizzy until a medic I rode with suggested it.

Hastings

Noobie
I always premedicate patients if possible. We have a standing order for the helicopter of either Benadryl or Phenergan low dosage to decrease nausea and increase drowsiness to seep through the trip.

For medics it is a more difficult situation. I worry about those requiring medication to function on the truck. It is prohibited at most flight services for personal to take many medications.

R/r 911

I'm no Pharmacist, but I haven't noticed any serious issues with Dramamine. I highly recommend it's use for any EMT or Medic with motion sickness issues. It does wonders for me, and without any drowsiness or other undesirable side-effects.

laina66

Forum Crew Member
i GET MOTION SICKNESS PRETTY BAD...USUALLY I JUST USE THOSE SEA BANDS---NO SIDE EFFECTS AND THEY WORK GREAT :O)